Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

CPU usage 100%

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2007
=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNK?=
 

Posts: n/a
CPU usage 100%
I checked my indexing and it says 507 items and completed. I checked my task
manager and it shows my CPU usage as 90% or greater, average is 93% but
generally hits 100%.

I've done adware searching and had 102 items and removed them. still no help

I've turned off unneeded services like auto updates with no help against my
CPU usage.

I've indiscriminately combed through my task manager processes and nothing
hits the amount of usage that would raise an eye brow as to being the culprit.

is this a common thing? any help would be great. maybe there's something I'm
missing or haven't thought of.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2007
Gerry Cornell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU usage 100%
Chris

In Windows XP I would recommend Process Explorer. I have not used it
in Vista but the latest version is available for use with Vista.

For further information about Process Explorer see here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx

To ascertain which service is causing the problem select the process
producing the high CPU usage, right click, select Properties,
Services. Note there are the full names and
some explanation of what each service does.

You will find further information on Services here:
http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

To trace the particular Service involved you need to turn off each
service in turn and then restore it noting what effect it has on CPU
usage. However, you need to take care and watch what other Services
are dependent on that service. When you click on the Dependencies tab
allow it a little time to display the information.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



ChrisJ wrote:
> I checked my indexing and it says 507 items and completed. I checked
> my task manager and it shows my CPU usage as 90% or greater, average
> is 93% but generally hits 100%.
>
> I've done adware searching and had 102 items and removed them. still
> no help
>
> I've turned off unneeded services like auto updates with no help
> against my CPU usage.
>
> I've indiscriminately combed through my task manager processes and
> nothing hits the amount of usage that would raise an eye brow as to
> being the culprit.
>
> is this a common thing? any help would be great. maybe there's
> something I'm missing or haven't thought of.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2007
=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNK?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU usage 100%


"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> Chris
>
> In Windows XP I would recommend Process Explorer. I have not used it
> in Vista but the latest version is available for use with Vista.
>
> For further information about Process Explorer see here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx
>
> To ascertain which service is causing the problem select the process
> producing the high CPU usage, right click, select Properties,
> Services. Note there are the full names and
> some explanation of what each service does.
>
> You will find further information on Services here:
> http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12
>
> To trace the particular Service involved you need to turn off each
> service in turn and then restore it noting what effect it has on CPU
> usage. However, you need to take care and watch what other Services
> are dependent on that service. When you click on the Dependencies tab
> allow it a little time to display the information.
>
> --
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>
>
> ChrisJ wrote:
> > I checked my indexing and it says 507 items and completed. I checked
> > my task manager and it shows my CPU usage as 90% or greater, average
> > is 93% but generally hits 100%.
> >
> > I've done adware searching and had 102 items and removed them. still
> > no help
> >
> > I've turned off unneeded services like auto updates with no help
> > against my CPU usage.
> >
> > I've indiscriminately combed through my task manager processes and
> > nothing hits the amount of usage that would raise an eye brow as to
> > being the culprit.
> >
> > is this a common thing? any help would be great. maybe there's
> > something I'm missing or haven't thought of.

>
> Thanks first and foremost Gerry, I downloaded that procexp and it says that the 90% CPU usage is due to hardware interrupts. well the battle is half over. so now how do I go about messing to get the interrupts fixed?


that will end the entire war then Gerry.

1,000,000 thanks
Chris J
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2007
Gerry Cornell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU usage 100%


Chris

You've gone off on a tangent. The idea was to identify the particular
process generating the high CPU usage. Do this and tell us the Command
Line of the Process. If you right click on the Process and select
Services it will name the Services using the Process.

You may need to Add Columns. To do this select View, Select Columns.
Try checking Process, PID, Company Name, Version, Window Status, and
Command Line.


--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


ChrisJ wrote:
> "Gerry Cornell" wrote:
>
>> Chris
>>
>> In Windows XP I would recommend Process Explorer. I have not used
>> it
>> in Vista but the latest version is available for use with Vista.
>>
>> For further information about Process Explorer see here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx
>>
>> To ascertain which service is causing the problem select the
>> process
>> producing the high CPU usage, right click, select Properties,
>> Services. Note there are the full names and
>> some explanation of what each service does.
>>
>> You will find further information on Services here:
>> http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12
>>
>> To trace the particular Service involved you need to turn off each
>> service in turn and then restore it noting what effect it has on
>> CPU
>> usage. However, you need to take care and watch what other Services
>> are dependent on that service. When you click on the Dependencies
>> tab
>> allow it a little time to display the information.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~
>> FCA
>> Stourport, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks first and foremost Gerry, I downloaded that procexp and it
>> says that the 90% CPU usage is due to hardware interrupts. well the
>> battle is half over. so now how do I go about messing to get the
>> interrupts fixed?

>
> that will end the entire war then Gerry.
>
> 1,000,000 thanks
> Chris J


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2007
Chris Altmann
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU usage 100%
Gerry, "Interrupts" is one of the items that can consume CPU in Process
Explorer. A quick Googling indicates that this can be the result of hardware
and/or driver issues.

Chris, check out the various discussions the links below an see if anything
matches your situation.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...%22+interrupts

http://groups.google.com/groups?sour...-8&sa=N&tab=wg

"Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
news:OXl3DLZQHHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
>
> Chris
>
> You've gone off on a tangent. The idea was to identify the particular
> process generating the high CPU usage. Do this and tell us the Command
> Line of the Process. If you right click on the Process and select Services
> it will name the Services using the Process.
>
> You may need to Add Columns. To do this select View, Select Columns. Try
> checking Process, PID, Company Name, Version, Window Status, and Command
> Line.
>
>
> --
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>
> ChrisJ wrote:
>> "Gerry Cornell" wrote:
>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> In Windows XP I would recommend Process Explorer. I have not used it
>>> in Vista but the latest version is available for use with Vista.
>>>
>>> For further information about Process Explorer see here:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx
>>>
>>> To ascertain which service is causing the problem select the process
>>> producing the high CPU usage, right click, select Properties,
>>> Services. Note there are the full names and
>>> some explanation of what each service does.
>>>
>>> You will find further information on Services here:
>>> http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12
>>>
>>> To trace the particular Service involved you need to turn off each
>>> service in turn and then restore it noting what effect it has on CPU
>>> usage. However, you need to take care and watch what other Services
>>> are dependent on that service. When you click on the Dependencies tab
>>> allow it a little time to display the information.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> Gerry
>>> ~~~~
>>> FCA
>>> Stourport, England
>>> Enquire, plan and execute
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks first and foremost Gerry, I downloaded that procexp and it
>>> says that the 90% CPU usage is due to hardware interrupts. well the
>>> battle is half over. so now how do I go about messing to get the
>>> interrupts fixed?

>>
>> that will end the entire war then Gerry.
>>
>> 1,000,000 thanks
>> Chris J

>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2007
=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNK?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU usage 100%


"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

>
>
> Chris
>
> You've gone off on a tangent. The idea was to identify the particular
> process generating the high CPU usage. Do this and tell us the Command
> Line of the Process. If you right click on the Process and select
> Services it will name the Services using the Process.
>
> You may need to Add Columns. To do this select View, Select Columns.
> Try checking Process, PID, Company Name, Version, Window Status, and
> Command Line.
>
>
> --
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>
> ChrisJ wrote:
> > "Gerry Cornell" wrote:
> >
> >> Chris
> >>
> >> In Windows XP I would recommend Process Explorer. I have not used
> >> it
> >> in Vista but the latest version is available for use with Vista.
> >>
> >> For further information about Process Explorer see here:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx
> >>
> >> To ascertain which service is causing the problem select the
> >> process
> >> producing the high CPU usage, right click, select Properties,
> >> Services. Note there are the full names and
> >> some explanation of what each service does.
> >>
> >> You will find further information on Services here:
> >> http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12
> >>
> >> To trace the particular Service involved you need to turn off each
> >> service in turn and then restore it noting what effect it has on
> >> CPU
> >> usage. However, you need to take care and watch what other Services
> >> are dependent on that service. When you click on the Dependencies
> >> tab
> >> allow it a little time to display the information.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>
> >> Gerry
> >> ~~~~
> >> FCA
> >> Stourport, England
> >> Enquire, plan and execute
> >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Thanks first and foremost Gerry, I downloaded that procexp and it
> >> says that the 90% CPU usage is due to hardware interrupts. well the
> >> battle is half over. so now how do I go about messing to get the
> >> interrupts fixed?

> >
> > that will end the entire war then Gerry.
> >
> > 1,000,000 thanks
> > Chris J

>
>


OK Gerry I think I made some progress. this issue I'm having falls under the
system idle process/hardware interrupts tree. there was no 'services on
right-mouseclick menu.

It must be generic as it has no company name listed under company name. this
freaks me out. it is using average 85-95% CPU usage. I'm serious and this is
no tangent.

now, I've checked all my hardware for conflicts, nothing.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2007
=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNK?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU usage 100%

Ok Gerry, forgot to mention, I'm using Vista Business
on my Compaq system
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2007
Gerry Cornell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU usage 100%
Chris A

I am well aware that this can be driver issue but we need to know the
process first. At least that is the way I see it.
--

Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~






Chris Altmann wrote:
> Gerry, "Interrupts" is one of the items that can consume CPU in
> Process Explorer. A quick Googling indicates that this can be the
> result of hardware and/or driver issues.
>
> Chris, check out the various discussions the links below an see if
> anything matches your situation.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...%22+interrupts
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?sour...-8&sa=N&tab=wg
>
> "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
> news:OXl3DLZQHHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> You've gone off on a tangent. The idea was to identify the
>> particular
>> process generating the high CPU usage. Do this and tell us the
>> Command Line of the Process. If you right click on the Process and
>> select Services it will name the Services using the Process.
>>
>> You may need to Add Columns. To do this select View, Select
>> Columns.
>> Try checking Process, PID, Company Name, Version, Window Status,
>> and
>> Command Line.
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~
>> FCA
>> Stourport, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>>
>> ChrisJ wrote:
>>> "Gerry Cornell" wrote:
>>>
>>>> Chris
>>>>
>>>> In Windows XP I would recommend Process Explorer. I have not used
>>>> it in Vista but the latest version is available for use with
>>>> Vista.
>>>>
>>>> For further information about Process Explorer see here:
>>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx
>>>>
>>>> To ascertain which service is causing the problem select the
>>>> process producing the high CPU usage, right click, select
>>>> Properties, Services. Note there are the full names and
>>>> some explanation of what each service does.
>>>>
>>>> You will find further information on Services here:
>>>> http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12
>>>>
>>>> To trace the particular Service involved you need to turn off
>>>> each
>>>> service in turn and then restore it noting what effect it has on
>>>> CPU usage. However, you need to take care and watch what other
>>>> Services are dependent on that service. When you click on the
>>>> Dependencies tab allow it a little time to display the
>>>> information.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>>
>>>> Hope this helps.
>>>>
>>>> Gerry
>>>> ~~~~
>>>> FCA
>>>> Stourport, England
>>>> Enquire, plan and execute
>>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks first and foremost Gerry, I downloaded that procexp and it
>>>> says that the 90% CPU usage is due to hardware interrupts. well
>>>> the
>>>> battle is half over. so now how do I go about messing to get the
>>>> interrupts fixed?
>>>
>>> that will end the entire war then Gerry.
>>>
>>> 1,000,000 thanks
>>> Chris J


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2007
Gerry Cornell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU usage 100%

Chris

If System Idle is running constantly at approaching 100% you have no
problem. System Idle is 100% less the sum of all the running
processes. Thus if System Idle is 95% your processes are only using 5%
of capacity.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ChrisJ wrote:
> Ok Gerry, forgot to mention, I'm using Vista Business
> on my Compaq system


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2007
Ronnie Vernon MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CPU usage 100%
ChrisJ

Open the Task Manager and click the "Show processes from all users" button
at the bottom of that dialog. Look in the list and see which process, in the
Image Name column, is using the 90+ in the CPU column.



--


Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User
"ChrisJ" <ChrisJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BD998580-2EF6-40A6-8425-343505D92714@microsoft.com...
>I checked my indexing and it says 507 items and completed. I checked my
>task
> manager and it shows my CPU usage as 90% or greater, average is 93% but
> generally hits 100%.
>
> I've done adware searching and had 102 items and removed them. still no
> help
>
> I've turned off unneeded services like auto updates with no help against
> my
> CPU usage.
>
> I've indiscriminately combed through my task manager processes and nothing
> hits the amount of usage that would raise an eye brow as to being the
> culprit.
>
> is this a common thing? any help would be great. maybe there's something
> I'm
> missing or haven't thought of.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photo gallery high CPU usage Hannes microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 1 02-10-2007 21:32
100% CPU USAGE - HELP ! =?Utf-8?B?VmlzdGEgRXhwbG9yZXI=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 1 01-18-2007 19:21
DRM Mayhem ? (Vista RTM in MCE like usage) =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbi1DaHJpc3RvcGhl?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 5 12-31-2006 21:09




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:16.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120