Second HDD turns on and off

rwphilips@yahoo.com

Second HDD turns on and off
I have a second HD in my computer for storage and backup and Vista
Ultimate 64 turns it on and off all the time. I believe it needs to
check it for defrag but that should only be once a day or so. Is there
a setting somewhere or in the registry that controls this action??

thanks, Rich
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Second HDD turns on and off
Rich

The defrag program in Vista is automatic and it runs in the background when
the computer is idle. If it is running and you start using the system,
defrag will pause until the system is idle and then start where it left off.

Defrag runs as a scheduled Task. You can go to Administrative Tools and
click Task Scheduler. In the task scheduler, go to Task Scheduler Library /
Microsoft / Windows / Defrag. Double click the Scheduled Defrag and you can
view the History and all of the settings there.

If you want to manually run the defrag, Go to Start/All
Programs/Accessories/System Tools and click on Disk Defragmenter. Click the
'Defrag Now' button.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

<rwphilips@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a second HD in my computer for storage and backup and Vista
> Ultimate 64 turns it on and off all the time. I believe it needs to
> check it for defrag but that should only be once a day or so. Is there
> a setting somewhere or in the registry that controls this action??
>
> thanks, Rich

Ian D

Re: Second HDD turns on and off

<rwphilips@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a second HD in my computer for storage and backup and Vista
> Ultimate 64 turns it on and off all the time. I believe it needs to
> check it for defrag but that should only be once a day or so. Is there
> a setting somewhere or in the registry that controls this action??
>
> thanks, Rich

What do you mean by turns on and off? All internal drives run
continuously while the PC is on, unless the power save option
powers them down, and that affects all drives. Do you mean it's
being accessed frequently? If so, that's just normal OS activity.

Dan

Re: Second HDD turns on and off
i had a sim problem with my 250g Hd like your config. it was always being
taped by my computer. what helped me was that my "gallery and Media" were
checking for new art/media. it was a the "Options i chose in these two
programs that basically said to "check for new files when started. i just had
to change which LOCATIONS to check for new media

"Ian D" wrote:

> <rwphilips@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I have a second HD in my computer for storage and backup and Vista
> > Ultimate 64 turns it on and off all the time. I believe it needs to
> > check it for defrag but that should only be once a day or so. Is there
> > a setting somewhere or in the registry that controls this action??
> >
> > thanks, Rich

> What do you mean by turns on and off? All internal drives run
> continuously while the PC is on, unless the power save option
> powers them down, and that affects all drives. Do you mean it's
> being accessed frequently? If so, that's just normal OS activity.

rwphilips@yahoo.com

Re: Second HDD turns on and off
As far as I know there are no media programs I installed looking for
new stuff...

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 12:34:01 -0800, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>i had a sim problem with my 250g Hd like your config. it was always being
>taped by my computer. what helped me was that my "gallery and Media" were
>checking for new art/media. it was a the "Options i chose in these two
>programs that basically said to "check for new files when started. i just had
>to change which LOCATIONS to check for new media
>
>"Ian D" wrote:
>

>> <rwphilips@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a second HD in my computer for storage and backup and Vista
>> > Ultimate 64 turns it on and off all the time. I believe it needs to
>> > check it for defrag but that should only be once a day or so. Is there
>> > a setting somewhere or in the registry that controls this action??
>> >
>> > thanks, Rich

>> What do you mean by turns on and off? All internal drives run
>> continuously while the PC is on, unless the power save option
>> powers them down, and that affects all drives. Do you mean it's
>> being accessed frequently? If so, that's just normal OS activity.

rwphilips@yahoo.com

Re: Second HDD turns on and off
I mean that the drive clicks (powers on), spins up, runs for about 30
secs and then clicks again (powers off) and spins down