Norton Partition Magic for dual boot?

VicTek

Norton Partition Magic for dual boot?
Norton Partition Magic 8.X comes with Boot Magic for switching between OS's.
Do you know if this will work for dual booting XP SP2 and Vista, and avoid
the problems with system restore files, etc.

Richard Urban

Re: Norton Partition Magic for dual boot?
Seeing as how Partition Magic 8.01 is not entirely compatible with Vista, I
don't know as I would recommend that you even try their boot manager.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"VicTek" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
> Norton Partition Magic 8.X comes with Boot Magic for switching between
> OS's. Do you know if this will work for dual booting XP SP2 and Vista, and
> avoid the problems with system restore files, etc.

VicTek

Re: Norton Partition Magic for dual boot?
Thanks for the reply. Is there another third party boot manager that you
would recommend? It seems that using the dual boot facility already
available causes system restore files to be deleted.

> Seeing as how Partition Magic 8.01 is not entirely compatible with Vista,
> I don't know as I would recommend that you even try their boot manager.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Norton Partition Magic for dual boot?
I can't guarantee this was the cause but I had to uninstall BootMagic,
even tho' it was not active, in order to install VISTA.

With BM there and booting from the DVD it threw up an error message
about not being able to find either the ntdlr or the bootmgr and if I
tried to run the DVD from within XP Pro it threw up the reverse --
soory I can't remember shich way round it was and my notes are .....

The Upgrade Advisor says to uninstall PM and that if you install it in
VISTA therey "may" be problems. I didn't because of it being a dual
boot but I have not tried to use it since installing VISTA.

Although I like the BM hidden partition method, it is quite useful
being able to grab files from the XP Pro drive and copy them over to
VISTA -- like the winhlp32.exe that VISTA does not have.

This is with PM8 updated while PQ.

Richard Urban

Re: Norton Partition Magic for dual boot?
I have been using System Commander (various versions) since 1993. It has
never let me down. It allows you to totally hide one operating system from
another (assuming that both O/S's are on primary partitions).

It allows you to have various accounts set up. You can have it that your
children can only boot into one operating system. They can not get into
yours, unless YOU give them your password. No matter what they may do to
trash their O/S, YOURS will be untouched. You, in turn, can boot into
everything so you can see what they have been doing on their side of the
computer.

--

> Thanks for the reply. Is there another third party boot manager that you
> would recommend? It seems that using the dual boot facility already
> available causes system restore files to be deleted.

>> Seeing as how Partition Magic 8.01 is not entirely compatible with Vista,
>> I don't know as I would recommend that you even try their boot manager.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from George Ankner:

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Norton Partition Magic for dual boot?
I had to uninstall Boot Magic, even although it was not active, before
I could install VISTA from the DVD, regardless of whether I booted from
the DVD to make a dual boot or whether I tried to install from within
Windows.

I got an error message that it could not find either ntdlr or bootmgr
according to which I tried -- forget which way round 8

I haven't tried to see if it will install afterwards ......

Despite the Restore "feature" I find it quite useful to be able to
access the XP Pro files from within VISTA during the testing and
transitional period I'm in.

If it were for general family use I might be concerned because way back
in the old-fashoned days a friend managed to dual boot WIN 95 and
WIN98SE without hiding the inactive drive and he kept on doing things
to files in the wrong partition.

But we experts knopw better, don't we? <g>

wangjiang is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Norton Partition Magic for dual boot?
Partition Wizard Home Edition is a free partition manager designed by MT Solution Ltd. It supports 32/64 bit Windows Operating System including Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. Home users can perform complicated partition operations by using this powerful but free partition manager to manage their hard disk partition such as Resizing partitions, Copying partitions, Create partition, Delete partition, Format partition, Convert partition, Explore partition, Hide partition, Change drive letter, Set active partition and Partition Recovery.Partition Wizard is a Windows based FREE Partition Manager. It works as partition magic and supports Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008 server and Windows 7. FREE for Home and Business user.