Windows Disk Defrag not workig

=?Utf-8?B?dGRhd2c=?=

Windows Disk Defrag not workig
So, im trying to once again run disk defrag. It hasnt worked in a couple
weeks. What happens is i start it up, it runs the "anailzing disk" part and i
can see my HD run for a min or so. But then it stops and thats it, i left my
computer alone for like 6hrs, and when i came back, it still said "anailzing
disk".

ANyone got any help on this. When i goto task mgr, i see it in there, but i
cant end the process, i have to reboot.

So what happened, why does it get stuck at the "anailzing disk" part and not
go any futher

thanks
R. C. White, MVP

Re: Windows Disk Defrag not workig
Hi, tdawg.

Two questions:

1. How big and how full is the volume being defragged? (For a 300 GB
volume with millions of files, it might take longer than 6 hours.)

2. Is this the boot volume (typically Drive C? Defragging the working
volume (and the boot volume, where the \Windows folder resides, is always
working) has always taken longer because its files are constantly being
updated during the defrag process. In the olden days, we could not defrag
the boot volume at all because the process was continually restarting.
:>( To defrag that volume, we had to boot from a floppy or dual-boot into a
different Windows installation.

These may not be the factors in your situation, but if we know these
answers, we may be able to eliminate a couple of suspects.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"tdawg" <tdawg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So, im trying to once again run disk defrag. It hasnt worked in a couple
> weeks. What happens is i start it up, it runs the "anailzing disk" part
> and i
> can see my HD run for a min or so. But then it stops and thats it, i left
> my
> computer alone for like 6hrs, and when i came back, it still said
> "anailzing
> disk".
>
> ANyone got any help on this. When i goto task mgr, i see it in there, but
> cant end the process, i have to reboot.
>
> So what happened, why does it get stuck at the "anailzing disk" part and
> not
> go any futher
>
> thanks

=?Utf-8?B?dGRhd2c=?=

Re: Windows Disk Defrag not workig
Hi, thanks for responding

no, the HD is only a 40gig drive and it is the main drive. I have sept
drives for eveyrthing else. I only use this drive for the windows and windows
programs.

Disk Defrag does start up, and it goes to analyzing disk. But thats it, it
doesnt do anything more after that. As stated, i left computer alone for
6hrs, and when i came back, the disk defrag STILL says analyzing disk

"R. C. White, MVP" wrote:

> Hi, tdawg.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. How big and how full is the volume being defragged? (For a 300 GB
> volume with millions of files, it might take longer than 6 hours.)
>
> 2. Is this the boot volume (typically Drive C? Defragging the working
> volume (and the boot volume, where the \Windows folder resides, is always
> working) has always taken longer because its files are constantly being
> updated during the defrag process. In the olden days, we could not defrag
> the boot volume at all because the process was continually restarting.
> :>( To defrag that volume, we had to boot from a floppy or dual-boot into a
> different Windows installation.
>
> These may not be the factors in your situation, but if we know these
> answers, we may be able to eliminate a couple of suspects.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Mail 7.0 in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "tdawg" <tdawg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > So, im trying to once again run disk defrag. It hasnt worked in a couple
> > weeks. What happens is i start it up, it runs the "anailzing disk" part
> > and i
> > can see my HD run for a min or so. But then it stops and thats it, i left
> > my
> > computer alone for like 6hrs, and when i came back, it still said
> > "anailzing
> > disk".
> >
> > ANyone got any help on this. When i goto task mgr, i see it in there, but
> > cant end the process, i have to reboot.
> >
> > So what happened, why does it get stuck at the "anailzing disk" part and
> > not
> > go any futher
> >
> > thanks

Victoria House [MSFT]

Re: Windows Disk Defrag not workig
From the GUI, defrag will defrag _all_ of your volumes, not just C:. It
will also analyze _all_ volumes.
Since you say you get "analyzing disk" I am assuming you are using the UI.
I think that the UI is analyzing all of your disks, and quite possibly one
of the larger ones (not the 40gb) is causing the delay.

It is likely that the culprit would be the biggest volume with the most
data. Try a defrag <vol>: /a /v from the command line (administrative) for
an analysis of your "most likely" volume and see what you get.

OR

If you only want to defrag the sysvol (C?), then defrag sysvol: /v from the
command line (administrative).

Thanks
-Victoria

> Hi, thanks for responding
>
> no, the HD is only a 40gig drive and it is the main drive. I have sept
> drives for eveyrthing else. I only use this drive for the windows and
> windows
> programs.
>
> Disk Defrag does start up, and it goes to analyzing disk. But thats it, it
> doesnt do anything more after that. As stated, i left computer alone for
> 6hrs, and when i came back, the disk defrag STILL says analyzing disk
>
> "R. C. White, MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi, tdawg.
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> 1. How big and how full is the volume being defragged? (For a 300 GB
>> volume with millions of files, it might take longer than 6 hours.)
>>
>> 2. Is this the boot volume (typically Drive C? Defragging the working
>> volume (and the boot volume, where the \Windows folder resides, is always
>> working) has always taken longer because its files are constantly being
>> updated during the defrag process. In the olden days, we could not
>> defrag
>> the boot volume at all because the process was continually restarting.
>> :>( To defrag that volume, we had to boot from a floppy or dual-boot
>> into a
>> different Windows installation.
>>
>> These may not be the factors in your situation, but if we know these
>> answers, we may be able to eliminate a couple of suspects.
>>
>> RC
>> --
>> R. C. White, CPA
>> San Marcos, TX
>> rc@grandecom.net
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>> (Running Windows Mail 7.0 in Vista Ultimate x64)
>>
>> "tdawg" <tdawg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > So, im trying to once again run disk defrag. It hasnt worked in a
>> > couple
>> > weeks. What happens is i start it up, it runs the "anailzing disk" part
>> > and i
>> > can see my HD run for a min or so. But then it stops and thats it, i
>> > left
>> > my
>> > computer alone for like 6hrs, and when i came back, it still said
>> > "anailzing
>> > disk".
>> >
>> > ANyone got any help on this. When i goto task mgr, i see it in there,
>> > but
>> > cant end the process, i have to reboot.
>> >
>> > So what happened, why does it get stuck at the "anailzing disk" part
>> > and
>> > not
>> > go any futher
>> >
>> > thanks

=?Utf-8?B?dGRhd2c=?=

Re: Windows Disk Defrag not workig
gee, thats gonna suck if i have to do that everytime. I just started it,
seems like its working. WHat iw as doign was going to "my computer", then
right clicking "C: drive" and then clicking "tools / defrag this drive".

I dont know why microsoft would have changed this, it was working great in
XP when u could see the percentage and it always worked. I hate that u cant
see what % its at in vista

Ill letu know if this way works tho. I dont know why it wouldnt work in the
first place, this is a complete fresh copy, not an upgrade

"Victoria House [MSFT]" wrote:

> From the GUI, defrag will defrag _all_ of your volumes, not just C:. It
> will also analyze _all_ volumes.
> Since you say you get "analyzing disk" I am assuming you are using the UI.
> I think that the UI is analyzing all of your disks, and quite possibly one
> of the larger ones (not the 40gb) is causing the delay.
>
> It is likely that the culprit would be the biggest volume with the most
> data. Try a defrag <vol>: /a /v from the command line (administrative) for
> an analysis of your "most likely" volume and see what you get.
>
> OR
>
> If you only want to defrag the sysvol (C?), then defrag sysvol: /v from the
> command line (administrative).
>
> Thanks
> -Victoria
>
> "tdawg" <tdawg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, thanks for responding
> >
> > no, the HD is only a 40gig drive and it is the main drive. I have sept
> > drives for eveyrthing else. I only use this drive for the windows and
> > windows
> > programs.
> >
> > Disk Defrag does start up, and it goes to analyzing disk. But thats it, it
> > doesnt do anything more after that. As stated, i left computer alone for
> > 6hrs, and when i came back, the disk defrag STILL says analyzing disk
> >
> > "R. C. White, MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, tdawg.
> >>
> >> Two questions:
> >>
> >> 1. How big and how full is the volume being defragged? (For a 300 GB
> >> volume with millions of files, it might take longer than 6 hours.)
> >>
> >> 2. Is this the boot volume (typically Drive C? Defragging the working
> >> volume (and the boot volume, where the \Windows folder resides, is always
> >> working) has always taken longer because its files are constantly being
> >> updated during the defrag process. In the olden days, we could not
> >> defrag
> >> the boot volume at all because the process was continually restarting.
> >> :>( To defrag that volume, we had to boot from a floppy or dual-boot
> >> into a
> >> different Windows installation.
> >>
> >> These may not be the factors in your situation, but if we know these
> >> answers, we may be able to eliminate a couple of suspects.
> >>
> >> RC
> >> --
> >> R. C. White, CPA
> >> San Marcos, TX
> >> rc@grandecom.net
> >> Microsoft Windows MVP
> >> (Running Windows Mail 7.0 in Vista Ultimate x64)

Victoria House [MSFT]

Re: Windows Disk Defrag not workig
Currently the GUI you get from my computer->rt click c:->tools->defrag is
the same "all volumes" UI.
We've had lots of feedback on this before. Yours has been noted.

> gee, thats gonna suck if i have to do that everytime. I just started it,
> seems like its working. WHat iw as doign was going to "my computer", then
> right clicking "C: drive" and then clicking "tools / defrag this drive".
>
> I dont know why microsoft would have changed this, it was working great in
> XP when u could see the percentage and it always worked. I hate that u
> cant
> see what % its at in vista
>
> Ill letu know if this way works tho. I dont know why it wouldnt work in
> the
> first place, this is a complete fresh copy, not an upgrade
>
> "Victoria House [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> From the GUI, defrag will defrag _all_ of your volumes, not just C:. It
>> will also analyze _all_ volumes.
>> Since you say you get "analyzing disk" I am assuming you are using the
>> UI.
>> I think that the UI is analyzing all of your disks, and quite possibly
>> one
>> of the larger ones (not the 40gb) is causing the delay.
>>
>> It is likely that the culprit would be the biggest volume with the most
>> data. Try a defrag <vol>: /a /v from the command line (administrative)
>> for
>> an analysis of your "most likely" volume and see what you get.
>>
>> OR
>>
>> If you only want to defrag the sysvol (C?), then defrag sysvol: /v from
>> the
>> command line (administrative).
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Victoria
>>
>> "tdawg" <tdawg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi, thanks for responding
>> >
>> > no, the HD is only a 40gig drive and it is the main drive. I have sept
>> > drives for eveyrthing else. I only use this drive for the windows and
>> > windows
>> > programs.
>> >
>> > Disk Defrag does start up, and it goes to analyzing disk. But thats it,
>> > it
>> > doesnt do anything more after that. As stated, i left computer alone
>> > for
>> > 6hrs, and when i came back, the disk defrag STILL says analyzing disk

=?Utf-8?B?dGRhd2c=?=

Re: Windows Disk Defrag not workig
Ya, thanks. It did defrag my C drive like u said.... i think. WHen it
started, it said 2% fragmented. After it was done, it said 5%, lol. But
atleast i know how ot do it now

thanks

"Victoria House [MSFT]" wrote:

> Currently the GUI you get from my computer->rt click c:->tools->defrag is
> the same "all volumes" UI.
> We've had lots of feedback on this before. Yours has been noted.
>

> "tdawg" <tdawg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > gee, thats gonna suck if i have to do that everytime. I just started it,
> > seems like its working. WHat iw as doign was going to "my computer", then
> > right clicking "C: drive" and then clicking "tools / defrag this drive".
> >
> > I dont know why microsoft would have changed this, it was working great in
> > XP when u could see the percentage and it always worked. I hate that u
> > cant
> > see what % its at in vista
> >
> > Ill letu know if this way works tho. I dont know why it wouldnt work in
> > the
> > first place, this is a complete fresh copy, not an upgrade
> >
> > "Victoria House [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> From the GUI, defrag will defrag _all_ of your volumes, not just C:. It
> >> will also analyze _all_ volumes.
> >> Since you say you get "analyzing disk" I am assuming you are using the
> >> UI.
> >> I think that the UI is analyzing all of your disks, and quite possibly
> >> one
> >> of the larger ones (not the 40gb) is causing the delay.
> >>
> >> It is likely that the culprit would be the biggest volume with the most
> >> data. Try a defrag <vol>: /a /v from the command line (administrative)
> >> for
> >> an analysis of your "most likely" volume and see what you get.
> >>
> >> OR
> >>
> >> If you only want to defrag the sysvol (C?), then defrag sysvol: /v from
> >> the
> >> command line (administrative).
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Victoria

Victoria House [MSFT]

Re: Windows Disk Defrag not workig
Bug was recently filed for that one. It's fixed for Server/SP1.
There's a lot of things that can frag you besides defrag though, so maybe it
was one of them.

Glad it's working for you.. or at least running. If you want to schedule C:
defrags, you can use task scheduler (We have tasks there that are used for
our ScheduledDefrag you could use as a model).

> Ya, thanks. It did defrag my C drive like u said.... i think. WHen it
> started, it said 2% fragmented. After it was done, it said 5%, lol. But
> atleast i know how ot do it now
>
> thanks
>
> "Victoria House [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Currently the GUI you get from my computer->rt click c:->tools->defrag is
>> the same "all volumes" UI.
>> We've had lots of feedback on this before. Yours has been noted.
>>

>> "tdawg" <tdawg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > gee, thats gonna suck if i have to do that everytime. I just started
>> > it,
>> > seems like its working. WHat iw as doign was going to "my computer",
>> > then
>> > right clicking "C: drive" and then clicking "tools / defrag this
>> > drive".
>> >
>> > I dont know why microsoft would have changed this, it was working great
>> > in
>> > XP when u could see the percentage and it always worked. I hate that u
>> > cant
>> > see what % its at in vista
>> >
>> > Ill letu know if this way works tho. I dont know why it wouldnt work in
>> > the
>> > first place, this is a complete fresh copy, not an upgrade

mayor

Re: Windows Disk Defrag not workig
The Vista Defrag is another MS technological improvement don't you know, or
so Victoria said in an earlier post.

--
Leo

When I was young and adventurous, I wanted to join a violent,
armed group with no regard for the law, but the IRS wasn't hiring.

"tdawg" <tdawg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> gee, thats gonna suck if i have to do that everytime. I just started it,
> seems like its working. WHat iw as doign was going to "my computer", then
> right clicking "C: drive" and then clicking "tools / defrag this drive".
>
> I dont know why microsoft would have changed this, it was working great in
> XP when u could see the percentage and it always worked. I hate that u
> cant
> see what % its at in vista
>
> Ill letu know if this way works tho. I dont know why it wouldnt work in
> the
> first place, this is a complete fresh copy, not an upgrade
>
> "Victoria House [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> From the GUI, defrag will defrag _all_ of your volumes, not just C:. It
>> will also analyze _all_ volumes.
>> Since you say you get "analyzing disk" I am assuming you are using the
>> UI.
>> I think that the UI is analyzing all of your disks, and quite possibly
>> one
>> of the larger ones (not the 40gb) is causing the delay.
>>
>> It is likely that the culprit would be the biggest volume with the most
>> data. Try a defrag <vol>: /a /v from the command line (administrative)
>> for
>> an analysis of your "most likely" volume and see what you get.
>>
>> OR
>>
>> If you only want to defrag the sysvol (C?), then defrag sysvol: /v from
>> the
>> command line (administrative).
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Victoria
>>
>> "tdawg" <tdawg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi, thanks for responding
>> >
>> > no, the HD is only a 40gig drive and it is the main drive. I have sept
>> > drives for eveyrthing else. I only use this drive for the windows and
>> > windows
>> > programs.
>> >
>> > Disk Defrag does start up, and it goes to analyzing disk. But thats it,
>> > it
>> > doesnt do anything more after that. As stated, i left computer alone
>> > for
>> > 6hrs, and when i came back, the disk defrag STILL says analyzing disk

Gerry Cornell

Re: Windows Disk Defrag not workig

Victoria

In Vista is it still advisable to run Disk CleanUp ( or Vista
equivalent ) before running Disk Defragmenter?

--

~~~~

Gerry

~~~~~~~~