Too Many Open Windows???

=?Utf-8?B?dGFuZHJsZQ==?=

Too Many Open Windows???
I am running into an issue with having several windows open.. Browser Tabs
seem to consist of windows also. Once I hit a certain limit it I am no
longer able to launch additional applicaitons or explorer windows. I have 2
G of Ram and 4 G of Virtual set and still having the issue. I am only using
about 1.2 G of the RAM and can have anywhere from 20-30 windows open at once.
This seems to limit admin-multitasking. Is anyone else experienceing this
if so is there any fix?

=?Utf-8?B?dGFuZHJsZQ==?=

RE: Too Many Open Windows???
I forgot to mention once I close a few of the windows or browser Tabs I am
then able to open more windows.

"tandrle" wrote:

> I am running into an issue with having several windows open.. Browser Tabs
> seem to consist of windows also. Once I hit a certain limit it I am no
> longer able to launch additional applicaitons or explorer windows. I have 2
> G of Ram and 4 G of Virtual set and still having the issue. I am only using
> about 1.2 G of the RAM and can have anywhere from 20-30 windows open at once.
> This seems to limit admin-multitasking. Is anyone else experienceing this
> if so is there any fix?

=?Utf-8?B?S29uc3RhbnRpbiBTaGlzaG92?=

RE: Too Many Open Windows???
I don't think it's amount of memory that you are having problem with but what
type of software are you trying to run at the same time + what kind of memory
is it ... there is a few things can be checked out + you can use program like
EVEREST to ceck your system performance.
--
Microsoft MVP 1999-2002

"tandrle" wrote:

> I forgot to mention once I close a few of the windows or browser Tabs I am
> then able to open more windows.
>
> "tandrle" wrote:
>
> > I am running into an issue with having several windows open.. Browser Tabs
> > seem to consist of windows also. Once I hit a certain limit it I am no
> > longer able to launch additional applicaitons or explorer windows. I have 2
> > G of Ram and 4 G of Virtual set and still having the issue. I am only using
> > about 1.2 G of the RAM and can have anywhere from 20-30 windows open at once.
> > This seems to limit admin-multitasking. Is anyone else experienceing this
> > if so is there any fix?

=?Utf-8?B?dGFuZHJsZQ==?=

RE: Too Many Open Windows???
This is a brand new Dell 620 WS. I am running 2 G of Ram 7200 RPM HD and a
1.8ghz processor. I am running IE 7 with 2-5 tabs open at any time. I am
running 2-5 Remote Desktop sessions to servers, 2-12 Instant Messenger
sessions, 2-8 Explorer Windows, Lotus Notes, SMS Admin console, and maybe an
office applicaiton. They are not intensive applicaitons I am only consuming
half them memory in my system.

"Konstantin Shishov" wrote:

> I don't think it's amount of memory that you are having problem with but what
> type of software are you trying to run at the same time + what kind of memory
> is it ... there is a few things can be checked out + you can use program like
> EVEREST to ceck your system performance.
> --
> Microsoft MVP 1999-2002
>

> "tandrle" wrote:
>
> > I forgot to mention once I close a few of the windows or browser Tabs I am
> > then able to open more windows.
> >
> > "tandrle" wrote:
> >
> > > I am running into an issue with having several windows open.. Browser Tabs
> > > seem to consist of windows also. Once I hit a certain limit it I am no
> > > longer able to launch additional applicaitons or explorer windows. I have 2
> > > G of Ram and 4 G of Virtual set and still having the issue. I am only using
> > > about 1.2 G of the RAM and can have anywhere from 20-30 windows open at once.
> > > This seems to limit admin-multitasking. Is anyone else experienceing this
> > > if so is there any fix?

robg69

Re: Too Many Open Windows???

I have been having this same exact problem for months. It has happened
on at least 3 different XP workstations that i have used, some with
Service Pack 1, and some with Service Pack 2, so that doesn't seem to
be the problem. And all of the workstations have at least 1GB RAM all
the way up to 4GB, so I know it's not a memory problem.

In my case I was developing a web application and using javascript
popups. After opening a specific number, no more windows, of any
application, will open. Not even windows system windows like control
panel, explorer, etc.! Sometimes it's 25, somtimes it's 40, somtimes
more, sometimes less. There appears to be a specific threshold, once
you reach it, meaning that once you reach that "limit", you can't open
any more. If you close one, you can open 1 more, but that's it.

I've tried killing interent explorer from the task manager, and it
works for a while, but it eventually reaches the "limit" again and I
cannot open any more windows. If I had to guess, I would say it's a
windows "explorer" issue. I haven't tried killing that yet, but a
reboot always fixes it, until you reach that "limit" again. I seriously
doubt it's a virus/spyware also, b/c it happens on multiple computers in
multiple environments.

Please let me know if you find a solution. It sucks to have to reboot
when you are developing an application and using many different apps
all at once and get back to where you were...

--
robg69
robg69's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=24417

http://forums.techarena.in

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: Too Many Open Windows???
Hello
This sounds like you are running out of Desktop Heap.
use the following article to modfiy you Desktop Heap:
840342 Applications may not run correctly in a Terminal Services environment

The article lists the registry locations for changing "Desktop Heap" so
while the issue may not be exact , the only reference here is the that one
setting.
SessionViewSize is the setting you want to change. Increase it and see it
allviates the issue.
I point to the article as it explains some of the limits around increasing
this value.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|>From: robg69 <robg69.2oqv7g@DoNotSpam.com>
|>Subject: Re: Too Many Open Windows???
|>Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 03:53:15 +0530
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance

I have been having this same exact problem for months. It has happened
on at least 3 different XP workstations that i have used, some with
Service Pack 1, and some with Service Pack 2, so that doesn't seem to
be the problem. And all of the workstations have at least 1GB RAM all
the way up to 4GB, so I know it's not a memory problem.

|>In my case I was developing a web application and using javascript
popups. After opening a specific number, no more windows, of any
application, will open. Not even windows system windows like control
panel, explorer, etc.! Sometimes it's 25, somtimes it's 40, somtimes
more, sometimes less. There appears to be a specific threshold, once
you reach it, meaning that once you reach that "limit", you can't open
any more. If you close one, you can open 1 more, but that's it.

|>I've tried killing interent explorer from the task manager, and it
works for a while, but it eventually reaches the "limit" again and I
cannot open any more windows. If I had to guess, I would say it's a
windows "explorer" issue. I haven't tried killing that yet, but a
reboot always fixes it, until you reach that "limit" again. I seriously
doubt it's a virus/spyware also, b/c it happens on multiple computers in
multiple environments.

|>Please let me know if you find a solution. It sucks to have to reboot
when you are developing an application and using many different apps
all at once and get back to where you were...

--
robg69
robg69's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=24417
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=662106

http://forums.techarena.in

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Too Many Open Windows???
Hello
This sounds like you are running out of Desktop Heap. This is not a RAM
issue from you describe, it's a resource and there are limits to allocation
of the resource.