Windows Vista Ultimate takes long time to boot.

=?Utf-8?B?TWVkaGF0?=

Windows Vista Ultimate takes long time to boot.
Windows vista takes about 12 minutes to boot on my desktop PC, it is too much.
My PC configuration is:
3 GHz 32-bit (x86) processor.
512 MB of system memory.
128 MB of graphics memory.
Although i installed the same DVD on my notebook with less configuration and
it work normally and boot quickly (less than one minute).
What can i do? Please anyone can help.

Toby Broom

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate takes long time to boot.
Get more system memory

"Medhat" <Medhat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows vista takes about 12 minutes to boot on my desktop PC, it is too
> much.
> My PC configuration is:
> 3 GHz 32-bit (x86) processor.
> 512 MB of system memory.
> 128 MB of graphics memory.
> Although i installed the same DVD on my notebook with less configuration
> and
> it work normally and boot quickly (less than one minute).
> What can i do? Please anyone can help.

=?Utf-8?B?TWVkaGF0?=

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate takes long time to boot.
the laptop is also 512 MB and it is very fast, boot quickly.

"Toby Broom" wrote:

> Get more system memory
>

> "Medhat" <Medhat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Windows vista takes about 12 minutes to boot on my desktop PC, it is too
> > much.
> > My PC configuration is:
> > 3 GHz 32-bit (x86) processor.
> > 512 MB of system memory.
> > 128 MB of graphics memory.
> > Although i installed the same DVD on my notebook with less configuration
> > and
> > it work normally and boot quickly (less than one minute).
> > What can i do? Please anyone can help.

=?Utf-8?B?YmxhY2sgY2xvdWRz?=

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate takes long time to boot.
System memory can not be the problem if it's taking 12 minutes to boot as you
say. Did you do a clean install?

Have you checked for performance issues? In the control panel, select
"System Maintenance." Under system maintenance select "Performance
Information and Tools" then select "Advanced Tools." At the top there should
be a list of any "performance issues" Windows Vista has detected at start up.

"Medhat" wrote:

> the laptop is also 512 MB and it is very fast, boot quickly.
>
> "Toby Broom" wrote:
>
> > Get more system memory
> >

> > "Medhat" <Medhat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Windows vista takes about 12 minutes to boot on my desktop PC, it is too
> > > much.
> > > My PC configuration is:
> > > 3 GHz 32-bit (x86) processor.
> > > 512 MB of system memory.
> > > 128 MB of graphics memory.
> > > Although i installed the same DVD on my notebook with less configuration
> > > and
> > > it work normally and boot quickly (less than one minute).
> > > What can i do? Please anyone can help.

=?Utf-8?B?TWVkaGF0?=

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate takes long time to boot.
yes i did a clean install.

yes i have checked for performance issues, no performance issues detected at
start up. what can i do??

"black clouds" wrote:

> System memory can not be the problem if it's taking 12 minutes to boot as you
> say. Did you do a clean install?
>
> Have you checked for performance issues? In the control panel, select
> "System Maintenance." Under system maintenance select "Performance
> Information and Tools" then select "Advanced Tools." At the top there should
> be a list of any "performance issues" Windows Vista has detected at start up.
>
> "Medhat" wrote:
>
> > the laptop is also 512 MB and it is very fast, boot quickly.
> >
> > "Toby Broom" wrote:
> >
> > > Get more system memory

=?Utf-8?B?YmxhY2sgY2xvdWRz?=

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate takes long time to boot.
When does the system slow down? On loading your desktop or before you log in
while the system is still loading?

Can you give a few more details about your PC? What kind of graphics card
are you using, sound card, are you hooked up to a modem or network? What kind
of HDD do you have?
Also I was wondering what you mean by "less configuration"?
I imagine the problem became evident the first time you booted with Vista?
Since then how long have you had the computer running?

Does your computer run quickly once it's finished loading windows or is
performance still seem slow?

Have you installed a lot of software, after installing Vista? Is all your
hardware functioning correctly?

Have you performed a disc cleanup and a defragmentation?

By the way, how did you get your copy of Vista Ultimate? No offence, just
wondering as it's not on sale yet and if it came from an unknown or
questionable source files may have been altered or spyware (trojans) may have
been added, which could also slow down your system. I know it seems to be
running fine on your laptop but that doesn't mean much as they are two
different systems and can any number of reasons can cause them to behave
differently.

"Medhat" wrote:

> yes i did a clean install.
>
> yes i have checked for performance issues, no performance issues detected at
> start up. what can i do??
>
> "black clouds" wrote:
>
> > System memory can not be the problem if it's taking 12 minutes to boot as you
> > say. Did you do a clean install?
> >
> > Have you checked for performance issues? In the control panel, select
> > "System Maintenance." Under system maintenance select "Performance
> > Information and Tools" then select "Advanced Tools." At the top there should
> > be a list of any "performance issues" Windows Vista has detected at start up.
> >
> > "Medhat" wrote:
> >
> > > the laptop is also 512 MB and it is very fast, boot quickly.

=?Utf-8?B?TWVkaGF0?=

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate takes long time to boot.
First thnaks for your reply and your time.

The system slow down before i log in while the system is still loading at
the black screen with green progress bar, it takes about 12 minutes at that
screen.

I have Intel Pentium 4 3GHz 1MB Cache, Intel 915G Chipset, 512 MB DDR2
desktop PC, graphics card is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 and sound
card is Azalia link controller integrated in Intel® ICH6 chipset.

I am connected to home network. (DSL connection) .

I have Segate HD 120 GB.

I mean by "less configuration" lower processor (cetrino 1.6 GHz) 60 GB HD.

Every time i restart the computer it takes about 12 minutes.

Windows some become slow and hang after starting.

I didnt installed any software after installing Vista, yes all my hardware
functioning correctly. I was using xp normally.

No, i havent performed a disc cleanup and a defragmentation.

I got my windows vista copy from my company because we are microsoft partner.

"black clouds" wrote:

> When does the system slow down? On loading your desktop or before you log in
> while the system is still loading?
>
> Can you give a few more details about your PC? What kind of graphics card
> are you using, sound card, are you hooked up to a modem or network? What kind
> of HDD do you have?
> Also I was wondering what you mean by "less configuration"?
> I imagine the problem became evident the first time you booted with Vista?
> Since then how long have you had the computer running?
>
> Does your computer run quickly once it's finished loading windows or is
> performance still seem slow?
>
> Have you installed a lot of software, after installing Vista? Is all your
> hardware functioning correctly?
>
> Have you performed a disc cleanup and a defragmentation?
>
> By the way, how did you get your copy of Vista Ultimate? No offence, just
> wondering as it's not on sale yet and if it came from an unknown or
> questionable source files may have been altered or spyware (trojans) may have
> been added, which could also slow down your system. I know it seems to be
> running fine on your laptop but that doesn't mean much as they are two
> different systems and can any number of reasons can cause them to behave
> differently.
>
> "Medhat" wrote:
>
> > yes i did a clean install.
> >
> > yes i have checked for performance issues, no performance issues detected at
> > start up. what can i do??
> >
> > "black clouds" wrote:
> >
> > > System memory can not be the problem if it's taking 12 minutes to boot as you
> > > say. Did you do a clean install?
> > >
> > > Have you checked for performance issues? In the control panel, select
> > > "System Maintenance." Under system maintenance select "Performance
> > > Information and Tools" then select "Advanced Tools." At the top there should
> > > be a list of any "performance issues" Windows Vista has detected at start up.

=?Utf-8?B?YmxhY2sgY2xvdWRz?=

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate takes long time to boot.
Just a couple of things.

First, I'm sure you know there are no vista graphics drivers for the 915G
Chipset running the GMA 900 and even though you have enough graphics memory
you will not be able to run Windows Aero with your present graphics card.
From what I've heard there is some hardware issue that makes it impossible
for this graphics card to run Aero. The 945 chipset with GMA 950 works fine
and has Vista drivers.

Second, I imagine your processor supports HT. You might want to try turning
it off in the system BIOS and see if that improves your boot time. Some have
complained of problems booting with HT. If it does you should see if you can
find a BIOS update. You may want to look for one anyway.

Also if you’re using your HDD in RAID or AHCI mode you should install
Intel's latest Matrix Storage Manager for your chipset. There is a Vista
version. http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-011594.htm

If you’re not sure you can check the mode your HDD are running in by looking
under "Storage Controllers" in your Device Manager. If you see RAID or AHCI
mentioned then you know, if not then you don't need the software update.

I would also suggest you update your chipset software from Intel. There are
Vista versions available for your chipset (though unfortunately no graphics
drivers for Vista as I mentioned). Again
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-011594.htm. Installing the
software update made a big difference on my computer. My HDD performance
jumped from 2.8 to 4.2 after installing the new utility from Intel.

I would suggest you start with turning HT off in the Bios and checking for a
BIOS update for your motherboard. 12 minutes to Boot would drive me up the
wall.

Just some after thoughts:
If you didn't format your Hard Drive before installing Vista all your old
files will be under a file called Windows.old. You can retrieve any old files
you need from there but once you have what you need, get rid of it. It's
probably quite large. Erase it and defrag your disk. If all else fails and
you didn't format your disk. Seeing you only have Vista installed you may
want to format the disk and try re-installing Vista on a freshly formatted
drive.

Hope this helps. Good luck

"Medhat" wrote:

> First thnaks for your reply and your time.
>
> The system slow down before i log in while the system is still loading at
> the black screen with green progress bar, it takes about 12 minutes at that
> screen.
>
> I have Intel Pentium 4 3GHz 1MB Cache, Intel 915G Chipset, 512 MB DDR2
> desktop PC, graphics card is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 and sound
> card is Azalia link controller integrated in Intel® ICH6 chipset.
>
> I am connected to home network. (DSL connection) .
>
> I have Segate HD 120 GB.
>
> I mean by "less configuration" lower processor (cetrino 1.6 GHz) 60 GB HD.
>
> Every time i restart the computer it takes about 12 minutes.
>
> Windows some become slow and hang after starting.
>
> I didnt installed any software after installing Vista, yes all my hardware
> functioning correctly. I was using xp normally.
>
> No, i havent performed a disc cleanup and a defragmentation.
>
> I got my windows vista copy from my company because we are microsoft partner.
>
> "black clouds" wrote:
>
> > When does the system slow down? On loading your desktop or before you log in
> > while the system is still loading?
> >
> > Can you give a few more details about your PC? What kind of graphics card
> > are you using, sound card, are you hooked up to a modem or network? What kind
> > of HDD do you have?
> > Also I was wondering what you mean by "less configuration"?
> > I imagine the problem became evident the first time you booted with Vista?
> > Since then how long have you had the computer running?
> >
> > Does your computer run quickly once it's finished loading windows or is
> > performance still seem slow?
> >
> > Have you installed a lot of software, after installing Vista? Is all your
> > hardware functioning correctly?
> >
> > Have you performed a disc cleanup and a defragmentation?
> >
> > By the way, how did you get your copy of Vista Ultimate? No offence, just
> > wondering as it's not on sale yet and if it came from an unknown or
> > questionable source files may have been altered or spyware (trojans) may have
> > been added, which could also slow down your system. I know it seems to be
> > running fine on your laptop but that doesn't mean much as they are two
> > different systems and can any number of reasons can cause them to behave
> > differently.
> >
> > "Medhat" wrote:
> >
> > > yes i did a clean install.
> > >
> > > yes i have checked for performance issues, no performance issues detected at
> > > start up. what can i do??

Ben Enfield

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate takes long time to boot.
Is this RTM?

"Medhat" <Medhat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows vista takes about 12 minutes to boot on my desktop PC, it is too
> much.
> My PC configuration is:
> 3 GHz 32-bit (x86) processor.
> 512 MB of system memory.
> 128 MB of graphics memory.
> Although i installed the same DVD on my notebook with less configuration
> and
> it work normally and boot quickly (less than one minute).
> What can i do? Please anyone can help.

=?Utf-8?B?R2VjY29NYW4=?=

RE: Windows Vista Ultimate takes long time to boot.
I have had same problems on a similar computer with HT (but 2.5GB system and
1GB videao-RAM) as well as on other computers. Porting the way I solved them
under XP - though I'm neither sure, whether steps I took really "solved" the
prob on vitsa or if it's just gone any other reason, nor which of these steps
finally solved the prob (just started with vista and haven't digged deeply
into it so far) ...

Here are the steps that solved the startup prob on my computer - so you
might give it a chance, but ... have a complete backup at hand in case
something goes wrong (see 4, especially b):

1) turned off automatic maintenance of the paging file (and specified it to
reside on another HDD to get an unfragmented paging file area) and rebooted
the computer (slow boot remained incluidng nasty black screen w/o mouse after
swithcing into graphics-mode)

2) did a disk cleanup (I left the setup log files untouched for on another
vista computer, cleaning them up resulted in probs on installed software
maintenance)

3) got a "real" defragmentation tool (I used OO-defrag, which is able to
move the directory entries too)

4) did a defragmentation on vista's system HDD after
a) disabling the built in defrag plan (seems it is doing something
behind the scenes which temporarily "blocks" at least OO defrag)
b) temporarily disabling system restore points on vista's HDD

defrag options had been set to:
-> place directories first
-> consolidate files and order them ascending by last access ("old
files" first)

5) after OO-defrag finished (and all the thousands of directory entries have
been moved to "top" of the HDD, after the $$... files), I switched system
restore on vista's HDD on again and built a new initial system restore point
and
rebooted ...

....problem gone on my computer.

I _guess_ that mainly defragging the directory structures in conjuction with
rebuilding an unfragmented paging file and new system restore points solved
the prob (as said I observed similar probs on highly fragmented OS-disks with
a long time running system restore thus having many restore points occupying
much disk space and thousands of (fragmented) restore point files under XP) -
but all in all that's a guess only.

FWIW
Uli