Hybernation auto-waking!

=?Utf-8?B?aW50Y2xhc3M=?=

Hybernation auto-waking!
I put my PC in hybernation, come back and it's awake again! What is going on?
Is there a bios setting I should change that I don't know about?
mikeyhsd

Re: Hybernation auto-waking!
there are several options in the bios, wake on lan, is one that co to mind.
get your book out and look. or look in the bios.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"intclass" <intclass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6A8BCC4-7233-4794-A45A-8EB5D8C63939@microsoft.com...
I put my PC in hybernation, come back and it's awake again! What is going on?
Is there a bios setting I should change that I don't know about?
Diamontina Cocktail

Re: Hybernation auto-waking!

"intclass" <intclass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I put my PC in hybernation, come back and it's awake again! What is going
>on?
> Is there a bios setting I should change that I don't know about?

Just one point about hibernation - in XP (and I suppose in Vista too) it
creates a file on disk called hiberfil.sys (if I remember the file name
correctly). If that file is ever corrupted, it takes someone either with
enough knowledge or enough money to hire someone with enough knowledge to
fix the problem because at least in XP, a corrupted hiberfil.sys would stop
the machine booting at all.

Therefore, hibernation is never really a good option. You are much better
off just shutting down when not using it. Sure it takes longer to get back
but it is guaranteed to have a better chance of getting back in to Windows
even if it is only one better chance.

=?Utf-8?B?aW50Y2xhc3M=?=

Re: Hybernation auto-waking!
Yet hybernation is the default option in Vista... lol

"Diamontina Cocktail" wrote:

> "intclass" <intclass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I put my PC in hybernation, come back and it's awake again! What is going
> >on?
> > Is there a bios setting I should change that I don't know about?

> Just one point about hibernation - in XP (and I suppose in Vista too) it
> creates a file on disk called hiberfil.sys (if I remember the file name
> correctly). If that file is ever corrupted, it takes someone either with
> enough knowledge or enough money to hire someone with enough knowledge to
> fix the problem because at least in XP, a corrupted hiberfil.sys would stop
> the machine booting at all.
>
> Therefore, hibernation is never really a good option. You are much better
> off just shutting down when not using it. Sure it takes longer to get back
> but it is guaranteed to have a better chance of getting back in to Windows
> even if it is only one better chance.

=?Utf-8?B?aW50Y2xhc3M=?=

Re: Hybernation auto-waking!
They are all off... any other ideas?

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> there are several options in the bios, wake on lan, is one that co to mind.
> get your book out and look. or look in the bios.
>

> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>

> "intclass" <intclass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6A8BCC4-7233-4794-A45A-8EB5D8C63939@microsoft.com...
> I put my PC in hybernation, come back and it's awake again! What is going on?
> Is there a bios setting I should change that I don't know about?

Peter M

Re: Hybernation auto-waking!
Well you could disable hibernation then reboot, delete the .sys file, then
renable it to recreate the .sys file in case its corrupted tho I doubt
that's the problem. I'm sure someone remembers the run commands to do both.
I can't remember off-hand. lol

> Yet hybernation is the default option in Vista... lol
>
> "Diamontina Cocktail" wrote:
>

>> "intclass" <intclass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I put my PC in hybernation, come back and it's awake again! What is
>> >going
>> >on?
>> > Is there a bios setting I should change that I don't know about?

>> Just one point about hibernation - in XP (and I suppose in Vista too) it
>> creates a file on disk called hiberfil.sys (if I remember the file name
>> correctly). If that file is ever corrupted, it takes someone either with
>> enough knowledge or enough money to hire someone with enough knowledge to
>> fix the problem because at least in XP, a corrupted hiberfil.sys would
>> stop
>> the machine booting at all.
>>
>> Therefore, hibernation is never really a good option. You are much better
>> off just shutting down when not using it. Sure it takes longer to get
>> back
>> but it is guaranteed to have a better chance of getting back in to
>> Windows
>> even if it is only one better chance.

=?Utf-8?B?aW50Y2xhc3M=?=

Re: Hybernation auto-waking!
Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

"Peter M" wrote:

> Well you could disable hibernation then reboot, delete the .sys file, then
> renable it to recreate the .sys file in case its corrupted tho I doubt
> that's the problem. I'm sure someone remembers the run commands to do both.
> I can't remember off-hand. lol
>
> "intclass" <intclass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yet hybernation is the default option in Vista... lol
> >
> > "Diamontina Cocktail" wrote:
> >

> >> "intclass" <intclass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Just one point about hibernation - in XP (and I suppose in Vista too) it
> >> creates a file on disk called hiberfil.sys (if I remember the file name
> >> correctly). If that file is ever corrupted, it takes someone either with
> >> enough knowledge or enough money to hire someone with enough knowledge to
> >> fix the problem because at least in XP, a corrupted hiberfil.sys would
> >> stop
> >> the machine booting at all.
> >>
> >> Therefore, hibernation is never really a good option. You are much better
> >> off just shutting down when not using it. Sure it takes longer to get
> >> back
> >> but it is guaranteed to have a better chance of getting back in to
> >> Windows
> >> even if it is only one better chance.

Michael Palumbo

Re: Hybernation auto-waking!
"Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message

> "intclass" <intclass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I put my PC in hybernation, come back and it's awake again! What is going
>>on?
>> Is there a bios setting I should change that I don't know about?

> Just one point about hibernation - in XP (and I suppose in Vista too) it
> creates a file on disk called hiberfil.sys (if I remember the file name
> correctly). If that file is ever corrupted, it takes someone either with
> enough knowledge or enough money to hire someone with enough knowledge to
> fix the problem because at least in XP, a corrupted hiberfil.sys would
> stop the machine booting at all.
>
> Therefore, hibernation is never really a good option. You are much better
> off just shutting down when not using it. Sure it takes longer to get back
> but it is guaranteed to have a better chance of getting back in to Windows
> even if it is only one better chance.

Um, actually a corrupted hiberfil.sys will only stop the system from
resuming from hibernate, there's always an option (after pressing F8) to
have the machine boot normally, which totally ignores the hiberfil.sys file,
corrupted or not.

It doesn't require anything more than that.

In fact, if memory serves, if Windows detects a problem with the
hiberfil.sys file it will offer to boot normally after informing you of the
problem with the image file.

I've run into problems with hibernate a few times and never had a problem
booting normally, bypassing the image file, and I've been using hibernate
for a very long time. IBM had a feature on their PS-1 computers called
"Rapid Resume" that was basically an early version of Suspend to Disk
(Hibernate) way back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Mic

=?Utf-8?B?R3JlYXR3aGl0ZQ==?=

Re: Hybernation auto-waking!
That may be true, but I have always been able to fix that by disabling
hibernation, rebooting the system, delete the hiberfil.sys, and yes that is
spelled correctly, then reenable hibernation

GW

"Michael Palumbo" wrote:

> "Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "intclass" <intclass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I put my PC in hybernation, come back and it's awake again! What is going
> >>on?
> >> Is there a bios setting I should change that I don't know about?

> > Just one point about hibernation - in XP (and I suppose in Vista too) it
> > creates a file on disk called hiberfil.sys (if I remember the file name
> > correctly). If that file is ever corrupted, it takes someone either with
> > enough knowledge or enough money to hire someone with enough knowledge to
> > fix the problem because at least in XP, a corrupted hiberfil.sys would
> > stop the machine booting at all.
> >
> > Therefore, hibernation is never really a good option. You are much better
> > off just shutting down when not using it. Sure it takes longer to get back
> > but it is guaranteed to have a better chance of getting back in to Windows
> > even if it is only one better chance.
> >

> Um, actually a corrupted hiberfil.sys will only stop the system from
> resuming from hibernate, there's always an option (after pressing F8) to
> have the machine boot normally, which totally ignores the hiberfil.sys file,
> corrupted or not.
>
> It doesn't require anything more than that.
>
> In fact, if memory serves, if Windows detects a problem with the
> hiberfil.sys file it will offer to boot normally after informing you of the
> problem with the image file.
>
> I've run into problems with hibernate a few times and never had a problem
> booting normally, bypassing the image file, and I've been using hibernate
> for a very long time. IBM had a feature on their PS-1 computers called
> "Rapid Resume" that was basically an early version of Suspend to Disk
> (Hibernate) way back in the late 80s/early 90s.
>
> Mic

Diamontina Cocktail

Re: Hybernation auto-waking!

"Michael Palumbo" <me@me.com> wrote in message
> "Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "intclass" <intclass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I put my PC in hybernation, come back and it's awake again! What is going
>>>on?
>>> Is there a bios setting I should change that I don't know about?

>> Just one point about hibernation - in XP (and I suppose in Vista too) it
>> creates a file on disk called hiberfil.sys (if I remember the file name
>> correctly). If that file is ever corrupted, it takes someone either with
>> enough knowledge or enough money to hire someone with enough knowledge to
>> fix the problem because at least in XP, a corrupted hiberfil.sys would
>> stop the machine booting at all.
>>
>> Therefore, hibernation is never really a good option. You are much better
>> off just shutting down when not using it. Sure it takes longer to get
>> back but it is guaranteed to have a better chance of getting back in to
>> Windows even if it is only one better chance.
>>

> Um, actually a corrupted hiberfil.sys will only stop the system from
> resuming from hibernate, there's always an option (after pressing F8) to
> have the machine boot normally, which totally ignores the hiberfil.sys
> file, corrupted or not.

No, not all the time and not most of the time. Most of the time the damage
is done.