USB Drive incompatible with SpeedBoost

CJM

USB Drive incompatible with SpeedBoost
I tried using my 512Mb Kingston DataTraveller USB2.0 flash drive for the
Speedboost feature, but the OS responded say something to the effect of 'you
drive isn't fast enough/good enough' for this prupose.

I'm surprised at this. Is there any indication anywhere of what is required
of a usb drive to be suitable for SpeedBoost?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: USB Drive incompatible with SpeedBoost
To take advantage of ReadyBoost, you need at least 1GB of free memory on a flash drive,
and ReadyBoost can take advantage of up to 4GB. That's why, if you're running Windows Vista,
it's a good idea to use higher-capacity flash drives - so you'll have plenty of memory for ReadyBoost,
and plenty for your file storage.

Ref: http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1472

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"CJM" wrote:

I tried using my 512Mb Kingston DataTraveller USB2.0 flash drive for the
Speedboost feature, but the OS responded say something to the effect of 'you
drive isn't fast enough/good enough' for this prupose.

I'm surprised at this. Is there any indication anywhere of what is required
of a usb drive to be suitable for SpeedBoost?
I.P. Nichols

"CJM" <cjmnews04@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>I tried using my 512Mb Kingston DataTraveller USB2.0 flash drive for the
>Speedboost feature, but the OS responded say something to the effect of
>'you drive isn't fast enough/good enough' for this prupose.
>
> I'm surprised at this. Is there any indication anywhere of what is
> required of a usb drive to be suitable for SpeedBoost?

Here is more than you ever wanted to know about ReadBoost!
From Tom Archers blog on ReadyBoost msg by Sefi on Sept 12, 2006
http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...02/615199.aspx

In some cases even a slower USB device could help. For example an older
notebook
with 1G ram and a slow HDD (4200RPM). It these cases you can enable
readyboost
with a slow device.

1. Let Vista test is, and check the Do not Retest this device checkbox.
2. Unplug the device
3. Go to regedit
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\EMDMgmt
4.find the key related to you device (the device vendor and name is in the
key)
5. Change the follwing values:
Device Status 0x02
ReadSpeedKBs 0x1000
WriteSpeedKBs 0x1000
6. Plug the device, right click on it to open properties and enable cache.
------------------------------
A list of devices
http://www.grantgibson.co.uk/misc/readyboost/
------------------------------
A recent review of devices and list of those that worked
http://www.activewin.com/reviews/har...adyboost.shtml
ReadyBoost compatible devices must have do 2.5MB/sec throughput for 4K
random reads and 1.75MB/sec throughput for 512K random writes, if they don’t
they won’t qualify.

· Apacer Handy Steno 2GB
· SanDisk Cruzer Mini 256MB
· Kingston DataTraveler ELITE
· Crucial Gizmo!Overdrive
· SanDisk Cruzer Micro (U3) 2GB
· Sony MicroVault 512MB
· Lexar Secure 1GB
· SanDisk Cruzer mini 256MB
· SanDisk Cruzer Micro 1GB
· Crucial Gizmo 256MB
· SanDisk Cruzer Mini 1GB
· Apacer HT203 1GB
· ATP Petito 1GB
· Sony MicroVault 256MB
· Kingston Data Traveler 1 1GB
· Sony MicroVault Tiny 2GB
· Patriot Xporter XT 4GB
· SanDisk Ultra II CompactFlash 2GB
Best for Price: Apacer Handy Steno HT2003
Best for Price against Performance: Apacer Handy Steno HT2003
Best overall performance: Apacer Handy Steno HT2003

MICHAEL

> To take advantage of ReadyBoost, you need at least 1GB of free memory on a flash drive,

At least 1GB free?

http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...02/615199.aspx

Q: What's the smallest ReadyBoost cache that I can use
A: The smallest cache is 256MB (well, 250 after formatting). Post beta2, we may drop it another
10 MB or so.

"MICHAEL" wrote:
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>> To take advantage of ReadyBoost, you need at least 1GB of free memory on
>> a flash drive,

> At least 1GB free?
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...02/615199.aspx
>
> Q: What's the smallest ReadyBoost cache that I can use
> A: The smallest cache is 256MB (well, 250 after formatting). Post beta2,
> we may drop it another 10 MB or so.

If the flash drive meets the R/W specs but fails because of size, the error
message you get says 230MB min free space. On a couple list of ReadyBoost
devices I've seen several 256MB drives that passed. I'm just not sure if a
device that small provides enough of a noticeable boost to make it
worthwhile. I'm using a 2GB Apacer HT2003 against 512MB RAM and it provides
a noticeable increase in response and I'm happy with it since the chipset on
this MB is limited to 512MB RAM but soon I'll be building a totally new
Vista box and doubt if I'll even bother with ReadyBoost on the new box.

=?Utf-8?B?VmlzdGEgUmVhZHk=?=

RE: USB Drive incompatible with SpeedBoost
CJM,

Possibly what I'm sharing has previously been shared but I don't think so:
There are three (actually four) types of Flash Media 1) Fast Flash 2) Slow
Flash 3) Fast and Slow Flash combination. And then there is a type of Flash
that is factually a HDD.

An appropriate 4 Gig Fast Flash will provide Vista with an increase of 1.5
Gig RAM.

--
Life is Wonderful !

"I.P. Nichols" <NoSpan@nada.com> wrote in message

> Here is more than you ever wanted to know about ReadBoost!
> From Tom Archers blog on ReadyBoost msg by Sefi on Sept 12, 2006
> http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...02/615199.aspx
>
> In some cases even a slower USB device could help. For example an older
> notebook
> with 1G ram and a slow HDD (4200RPM). It these cases you can enable
> readyboost
> with a slow device.

I'm not even sure if I it will be of any benefit. I have a fast
mobo/processor/ram (2Gb PC6400) - will ready boost provide any benefit?

MICHAEL

> "I.P. Nichols" <NoSpan@nada.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Here is more than you ever wanted to know about ReadBoost!
>> From Tom Archers blog on ReadyBoost msg by Sefi on Sept 12, 2006
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...02/615199.aspx
>>
>> In some cases even a slower USB device could help. For example an older notebook
>> with 1G ram and a slow HDD (4200RPM). It these cases you can enable readyboost
>> with a slow device.

> I'm not even sure if I it will be of any benefit. I have a fast mobo/processor/ram (2Gb
> PC6400) - will ready boost provide any benefit?

More than likely not.

-Michael

I.P. Nichols

Re: USB Drive incompatible with SpeedBoost
"CJM" <cjmnews04@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

>> Here is more than you ever wanted to know about ReadBoost!
>> From Tom Archers blog on ReadyBoost msg by Sefi on Sept 12, 2006
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...02/615199.aspx
>>
>> In some cases even a slower USB device could help. For example an older
>> notebook
>> with 1G ram and a slow HDD (4200RPM). It these cases you can enable
>> readyboost
>> with a slow device.

> I'm not even sure if I it will be of any benefit. I have a fast
> mobo/processor/ram (2Gb PC6400) - will ready boost provide any benefit?

It is recommended that it be a minimum of 1:1 and in you original posting
you said your USB flash drive was 512MB which would only be 0.25:1

There is a comprehensive paper on performance improvement at:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...perfaccel.mspx

Abstract
This paper provides an overview of the Microsoft® Windows® PC Accelerators,
a collection of three features introduced in Windows Vista™ that directly
address performance and responsiveness in PCs. This paper describes the key
benefits and implementation considerations for each feature.
The features include Windows SuperFetch™, an innovative new memory manager
that analyzes usage patterns over time to optimize what data is kept in
memory; Windows ReadyBoost™, a feature to support the use of flash storage
devices like USB flash drives to boost PC performance; and Windows
ReadyDrive™, a feature to support hybrid hard disk drives.

CJM

> "CJM" <cjmnews04@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>>

>>> Here is more than you ever wanted to know about ReadBoost!
>>> ================================================
>>> From Tom Archers blog on ReadyBoost msg by Sefi on Sept 12, 2006
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...02/615199.aspx
>>>
>>> In some cases even a slower USB device could help. For example an older
>>> notebook
>>> with 1G ram and a slow HDD (4200RPM). It these cases you can enable
>>> readyboost
>>> with a slow device.

>> I'm not even sure if I it will be of any benefit. I have a fast
>> mobo/processor/ram (2Gb PC6400) - will ready boost provide any benefit?

> It is recommended that it be a minimum of 1:1 and in you original posting
> you said your USB flash drive was 512MB which would only be 0.25:1

I've just ordered a new 2GB Kingston USB drive which apparently is
compatible... Hopefully this is more along the right lines.