Bootvis

Diamontina Cocktail

Bootvis
Getting ready for the upcoming Home version release. Is there a BootVis tool
for Vista? If so, anyone got the URL for the download please? Yes, have
checked in a search and cant locate it. Thanks.

Kerry Brown

Re: Bootvis
Bootvis hasn't been supported for quite while. The original is no longer
available so it's unlikely a Vista version will be developed.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
> Getting ready for the upcoming Home version release. Is there a BootVis
> tool for Vista? If so, anyone got the URL for the download please? Yes,
> have checked in a search and cant locate it. Thanks.

Diamontina Cocktail

Re: Bootvis
I do have one for XP. Works well for that when a system needs boot
improvement. Sad to see it isn't around any longer. Hope Vista doesn't
suffer degraded boot performance like XP can.

> Bootvis hasn't been supported for quite while. The original is no longer
> available so it's unlikely a Vista version will be developed.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
>> Getting ready for the upcoming Home version release. Is there a BootVis
>> tool for Vista? If so, anyone got the URL for the download please? Yes,
>> have checked in a search and cant locate it. Thanks.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Bootvis
My understanding was that it was removed because of the numerous problems
caused by users who did not know how to properly use the tool.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

>I do have one for XP. Works well for that when a system needs boot
>improvement. Sad to see it isn't around any longer. Hope Vista doesn't
>suffer degraded boot performance like XP can.

=?Utf-8?B?bWlr?=

RE: Bootvis

"Diamontina Cocktail" wrote:

> Getting ready for the upcoming Home version release. Is there a BootVis tool
> for Vista? If so, anyone got the URL for the download please? Yes, have
> checked in a search and cant locate it. Thanks.

bootvis simply force to call a windows function that windows itself does.
Diamontina Cocktail

Re: Bootvis
Yep I can believe that. Some fool causes a fire with fireworks over here and
they ban them completely in this state. Everyone suffers in order to stop
one fool.

> My understanding was that it was removed because of the numerous problems
> caused by users who did not know how to properly use the tool.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
>>I do have one for XP. Works well for that when a system needs boot
>>improvement. Sad to see it isn't around any longer. Hope Vista doesn't
>>suffer degraded boot performance like XP can.

Diamontina Cocktail

Re: Bootvis
In Vista, you mean? Certainly not the case in XP.

"mik" <mik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Diamontina Cocktail" wrote:
>
>> Getting ready for the upcoming Home version release. Is there a BootVis
>> tool
>> for Vista? If so, anyone got the URL for the download please? Yes, have
>> checked in a search and cant locate it. Thanks.

> bootvis simply force to call a windows function that windows itself does.

mikeyhsd

Re: Bootvis
Vista has numerous diagnostic tools built in.
one of the MANY Event items are for BOOT timings.
also the self diagnostic will tell you about problems during boot.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Bootvis was created for use by developers and not "general use" - actual
> benefits required changes in coding. Main function with XP was the
> representation of the boot process and, despite impressions, did little
> during the boot adjustment phase.

Your conclusion is incorrect. A completely defragmented system on a
reasonably new machine could take a long time to boot depending on what the
user had done. One such system, 6 months old and a 3.2Ghz P4 socket 775 was
taking up to 15 minutes to boot. Bootvis brought it back to normal. That was
the most outstanding example I had presented to me and fixed but there were
improvements over most machines in boot performance.