All files and folders appearing under their date of creation

Carnosaure

All files and folders appearing under their date of creation
Hello, since I started my laptop two days ago all my files and folders are
displayed by Vista according to their date of creation instead of their name.
I can browse more easy through programs such as winrar to actually see where
I am and what I have in one folder. I tried to display different information
using right-click "sort by" or "arrange by" and selecting "others" than
ticking something else than "date of creation" but that one can't be ticked
off. Is there another way to get rid of that situation?
Thank you.
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: All files and folders appearing under their date of creation
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 09:37:02 -0800, Carnosaure
<Carnosaure@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hello, since I started my laptop two days ago all my files and folders are
> displayed by Vista according to their date of creation instead of their name.
> I can browse more easy through programs such as winrar to actually see where
> I am and what I have in one folder. I tried to display different information
> using right-click "sort by" or "arrange by" and selecting "others" than
> ticking something else than "date of creation" but that one can't be ticked
> off. Is there another way to get rid of that situation?

The easiest way to change the order of displayed files in Windows
Explorer or Computer, is by clicking on the header of the field you
want to sort on. Click it a second time to reverse the sort from
low-high to high-low, or vice versa.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Carnosaure

Re: All files and folders appearing under their date of creation
Thanks but this is not what I meant. It is not a problem of sorting. All the
files and folders are displayed by Vista as eg "11/09/2007 10:03" ie its date
of creation, for a file initially named "myvideo.wmv", for example. I can
still see the real name of the file when using winrar browser for example, or
when i try to rename it pressing F2, but after trying to rename it, it still
displays "11/09/2007 10:03". This is a real mess.

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 09:37:02 -0800, Carnosaure
> <Carnosaure@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello, since I started my laptop two days ago all my files and folders are
> > displayed by Vista according to their date of creation instead of their name.
> > I can browse more easy through programs such as winrar to actually see where
> > I am and what I have in one folder. I tried to display different information
> > using right-click "sort by" or "arrange by" and selecting "others" than
> > ticking something else than "date of creation" but that one can't be ticked
> > off. Is there another way to get rid of that situation?

> The easiest way to change the order of displayed files in Windows
> Explorer or Computer, is by clicking on the header of the field you
> want to sort on. Click it a second time to reverse the sort from
> low-high to high-low, or vice versa.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Dave

Re: All files and folders appearing under their date of creation
In Windows Explorer (which I assume you are using), right-click on whatever
column header you have, and select Name, Date Modified, etc. for whichever
columns you want to see.

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Carnosaure" <Carnosaure@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks but this is not what I meant. It is not a problem of sorting. All
> the
> files and folders are displayed by Vista as eg "11/09/2007 10:03" ie its
> date
> of creation, for a file initially named "myvideo.wmv", for example. I can
> still see the real name of the file when using winrar browser for example,
> or
> when i try to rename it pressing F2, but after trying to rename it, it
> still
> displays "11/09/2007 10:03". This is a real mess.
>
> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 09:37:02 -0800, Carnosaure
>> <Carnosaure@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello, since I started my laptop two days ago all my files and folders
>> > are
>> > displayed by Vista according to their date of creation instead of their
>> > name.
>> > I can browse more easy through programs such as winrar to actually see
>> > where
>> > I am and what I have in one folder. I tried to display different
>> > information
>> > using right-click "sort by" or "arrange by" and selecting "others" than
>> > ticking something else than "date of creation" but that one can't be
>> > ticked
>> > off. Is there another way to get rid of that situation?

>> The easiest way to change the order of displayed files in Windows
>> Explorer or Computer, is by clicking on the header of the field you
>> want to sort on. Click it a second time to reverse the sort from
>> low-high to high-low, or vice versa.
>>
>> --
>> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Carnosaure

Re: All files and folders appearing under their date of creation
Yes I am using Windows Explorer but when I righ-click on the column header,
the "Date Modified" (not Created, sorry, my mistake) is ticked and can't be
ticked off. If i click on "Others.." I have a list of data (number of files,
author, program used, comments, company, version...) which i can tick to make
the corresponding column appear, but no "Name" and it is still impossible to
tick "Date Modified" off...

"Dave" wrote:

> In Windows Explorer (which I assume you are using), right-click on whatever
> column header you have, and select Name, Date Modified, etc. for whichever
> columns you want to see.
>
> --
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>
> "Carnosaure" <Carnosaure@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks but this is not what I meant. It is not a problem of sorting. All
> > the
> > files and folders are displayed by Vista as eg "11/09/2007 10:03" ie its
> > date
> > of creation, for a file initially named "myvideo.wmv", for example. I can
> > still see the real name of the file when using winrar browser for example,
> > or
> > when i try to rename it pressing F2, but after trying to rename it, it
> > still
> > displays "11/09/2007 10:03". This is a real mess.
> >
> > "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> >> The easiest way to change the order of displayed files in Windows
> >> Explorer or Computer, is by clicking on the header of the field you
> >> want to sort on. Click it a second time to reverse the sort from
> >> low-high to high-low, or vice versa.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> >> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

brink

Carnosaure;532774 Wrote:
> Yes I am using Windows Explorer but when I righ-click on the column
> header,
> the "Date Modified" (not Created, sorry, my mistake) is ticked and
> can't be
> ticked off. If i click on "Others.." I have a list of data (number of
> files,
> author, program used, comments, company, version...) which i can tick
> to make
> the corresponding column appear, but no "Name" and it is still
> impossible to
> tick "Date Modified" off...

Hi Carnosaure,

You should reset the folder view settings so Vista will not change this
on you automatically and will remember your settings.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70...-settings.html

Make sure that you have the "All Items" folder template type selected.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/77...templates.html

This will show you how to change the columns and sort order to what you
want.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...customize.html

Hope this helps you,
Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Carnosaure

Re: All files and folders appearing under their date of creation
I think i didn't make myself clear... My problem is really bigger than just
not sortig the files the way I want. Here is a screenshot to show you what it
looks like :
http://membres.lycos.fr/carnosaurus/screendates.jpg
Don't scream, don't cry.

"brink" wrote:

> Carnosaure;532774 Wrote:
> > Yes I am using Windows Explorer but when I righ-click on the column
> > header,
> > the "Date Modified" (not Created, sorry, my mistake) is ticked and
> > can't be
> > ticked off. If i click on "Others.." I have a list of data (number of
> > files,
> > author, program used, comments, company, version...) which i can tick
> > to make
> > the corresponding column appear, but no "Name" and it is still
> > impossible to
> > tick "Date Modified" off...
> >

> Hi Carnosaure,
>
> You should reset the folder view settings so Vista will not change this
> on you automatically and will remember your settings.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70...-settings.html
>

> Make sure that you have the "All Items" folder template type selected.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/77...templates.html
>

> This will show you how to change the columns and sort order to what you
> want.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...customize.html
>

> Hope this helps you,
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")

brink

Carnosaure;534482 Wrote:
> I think i didn't make myself clear... My problem is really bigger than
> just
> not sortig the files the way I want. Here is a screenshot to show you
> what it
> looks like :
> http://membres.lycos.fr/carnosaurus/screendates.jpg
> Don't scream, don't cry.
> "brink" wrote:
> > Hi Carnosaure,
> >
> > You should reset the folder view settings so Vista will not change

> this
> > on you automatically and will remember your settings.
> >
> > 'Windows Explorer Folder View settings'

> (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70...-settings.html)
> >

> > Make sure that you have the "All Items" folder template type

> selected.
> >
> > 'Windows Explorer - Folder Type Templates'

> (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/77...templates.html)
> >

> > This will show you how to change the columns and sort order to what

> you
> > want.
> >
> > 'Column - Customize'

> (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...customize.html)
> >

> > Hope this helps you,
> > Shawn

Carnosaure,

Yep, you have a mess. This solution will fix that problem for you
though. You just need to reset the Folder View settings so you can make
changes that Vista will remember.

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Carnosaure

Re: All files and folders appearing under their date of creation
OK I've tried this solution -customize the columns- again. I still can't
check a "name" category because it's not there. Only "Modified date" and
other useless data.