Defrag-Attn Victoria(MSFT)

Jeff

Defrag-Attn Victoria(MSFT)
Victoria,
Hi,
Lost your original post for suggestions,
so here goes:

Spoke with Jill about this before ad nauseum, but,

I think your focus group info/data may reflect that-true,many people didn't
use the GUI, however,
I think the decision to leave in out; was a mistake.
There are many people who did use it, as you have seen by the posts in here.

A way to add it to "advanced" feature option would be great!!!
LOL- I miss the pretty colors!!!

command line works great-but the GUI was nice.
Be nice to have it back.
:-)

Jeff

Robert Firth

Re: Defrag-Attn Victoria(MSFT)
I don't like to defrag anymore because I can't watch the pretty colors. I
feel like it is frozen because I can't see any progress. I don't need the
colors, but I do need to see progress.

Poof!

--
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Robert Firth *

"Jeff" <S.Cerevisiae@duh.edu> wrote in message
> Victoria,
> Hi,
> Lost your original post for suggestions,
> so here goes:
>
> Spoke with Jill about this before ad nauseum, but,
>
> I think your focus group info/data may reflect that-true,many people
> didn't use the GUI, however,
> I think the decision to leave in out; was a mistake.
> There are many people who did use it, as you have seen by the posts in
> here.
>
> A way to add it to "advanced" feature option would be great!!!
> LOL- I miss the pretty colors!!!
>
> command line works great-but the GUI was nice.
> Be nice to have it back.
> :-)
>
> Jeff

DCR

Re: Defrag-Attn Victoria(MSFT)
1) DUMP and replace Vista's Defrag

I too miss watching those little differently colored boxes moving
around -- very hypnotic

Even when you right click on a drive in Computer and select
Properties>Tools>Defragment, you get the same dumb dialogue
that you get from starting Defrag from the Start menu: Schedule
and Defrag Now followed by that annoying useless twirling thingy.
What drive? What progress? Should I get a snack or read "War
and Peace"?

2) Provide Taskbar Notification Area icons for automatic Indexing
and Defrag and anything else that may be using the HDs

I find it VERY disconcerting watching my HD light flashing for
lengthy periods of time and hearing the HD humming not knowing
what is going on. Virus? Worm? Trojan? Lynn Chaney stealing
my ****?

Besides a balloon message, double clicking the icons could bring
up a dialogue to turn them off or let them sleep and a progress bar,
and a link to help explain what is going on for newbies. During
installation of programs and drivers I am almost always asked to
close other running programs.

Victoria House [MSFT]

Re: Defrag-Attn Victoria(MSFT)
I think everyone is mourning the death of the moving colors.

Noted.

"DCR" <dcr@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> 1) DUMP and replace Vista's Defrag
>
> I too miss watching those little differently colored boxes moving
> around -- very hypnotic
>
> Even when you right click on a drive in Computer and select
> Properties>Tools>Defragment, you get the same dumb dialogue
> that you get from starting Defrag from the Start menu: Schedule
> and Defrag Now followed by that annoying useless twirling thingy.
> What drive? What progress? Should I get a snack or read "War
> and Peace"?
>
> 2) Provide Taskbar Notification Area icons for automatic Indexing
> and Defrag and anything else that may be using the HDs
>
> I find it VERY disconcerting watching my HD light flashing for
> lengthy periods of time and hearing the HD humming not knowing
> what is going on. Virus? Worm? Trojan? Lynn Chaney stealing
> my ****?
>
> Besides a balloon message, double clicking the icons could bring
> up a dialogue to turn them off or let them sleep and a progress
> bar,
> and a link to help explain what is going on for newbies. During
> installation of programs and drivers I am almost always asked to
> close other running programs.

Jeff

Re: Defrag-Attn Victoria(MSFT)
Victoria,

mourning?
lol
Well if you must put it that way,
killing the gui IS what people are upset about.

Jeff

"Victoria House [MSFT]" <vhouse@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I think everyone is mourning the death of the moving colors.
>
> Noted.
>

> "DCR" <dcr@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> 1) DUMP and replace Vista's Defrag
>>
>> I too miss watching those little differently colored boxes moving
>> around -- very hypnotic
>>
>> Even when you right click on a drive in Computer and select
>> Properties>Tools>Defragment, you get the same dumb dialogue
>> that you get from starting Defrag from the Start menu: Schedule
>> and Defrag Now followed by that annoying useless twirling thingy.
>> What drive? What progress? Should I get a snack or read "War
>> and Peace"?
>>
>> 2) Provide Taskbar Notification Area icons for automatic Indexing
>> and Defrag and anything else that may be using the HDs
>>
>> I find it VERY disconcerting watching my HD light flashing for
>> lengthy periods of time and hearing the HD humming not knowing
>> what is going on. Virus? Worm? Trojan? Lynn Chaney stealing
>> my ****?
>>
>> Besides a balloon message, double clicking the icons could bring
>> up a dialogue to turn them off or let them sleep and a progress
>> bar,
>> and a link to help explain what is going on for newbies. During
>> installation of programs and drivers I am almost always asked to
>> close other running programs.

Victoria House [MSFT]

Re: Defrag-Attn Victoria(MSFT)
I prefer in this case the "putting it out of its misery" euphamism.
You know, like Old Yeller.

> Victoria,
>
> mourning?
> lol
> Well if you must put it that way,
> killing the gui IS what people are upset about.
>
> Jeff
>
> "Victoria House [MSFT]" <vhouse@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I think everyone is mourning the death of the moving colors.
>>
>> Noted.
>>

>> "DCR" <dcr@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> 1) DUMP and replace Vista's Defrag
>>>
>>> I too miss watching those little differently colored boxes moving
>>> around -- very hypnotic
>>>
>>> Even when you right click on a drive in Computer and select
>>> Properties>Tools>Defragment, you get the same dumb dialogue
>>> that you get from starting Defrag from the Start menu: Schedule
>>> and Defrag Now followed by that annoying useless twirling thingy.
>>> What drive? What progress? Should I get a snack or read "War
>>> and Peace"?
>>>
>>> 2) Provide Taskbar Notification Area icons for automatic Indexing
>>> and Defrag and anything else that may be using the HDs
>>>
>>> I find it VERY disconcerting watching my HD light flashing for
>>> lengthy periods of time and hearing the HD humming not knowing
>>> what is going on. Virus? Worm? Trojan? Lynn Chaney stealing
>>> my ****?
>>>
>>> Besides a balloon message, double clicking the icons could bring
>>> up a dialogue to turn them off or let them sleep and a progress
>>> bar,
>>> and a link to help explain what is going on for newbies. During
>>> installation of programs and drivers I am almost always asked to
>>> close other running programs.

Peter M

Re: Defrag-Attn Victoria(MSFT)
I think it's more of people are afraid vista's defrag really isn't doing
anything. All the 3rd party ones that work with vista that I've tried always
show defrag needed even after manually using vista's. Of course no defrag
scheme is the same but... we want our pretty colours so we know it's
actually doing something. lol

>I prefer in this case the "putting it out of its misery" euphamism.
> You know, like Old Yeller.
>
> "Jeff" <S.Cerevisiae@duh.edu> wrote in message
>> Victoria,
>>
>> mourning?
>> lol
>> Well if you must put it that way,
>> killing the gui IS what people are upset about.

Colin Nash [MVP]

"Peter M" <phmcn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I think it's more of people are afraid vista's defrag really isn't doing
>anything. All the 3rd party ones that work with vista that I've tried
>always show defrag needed even after manually using vista's. Of course no
>defrag scheme is the same but... we want our pretty colours so we know it's
>actually doing something. lol

I hear they are making a version that just brings up the Media Player
visualizations while defragmenting

Jeff

Re: Defrag-Attn Victoria(MSFT)
lol
thn it would be just like now-cuz MSFT's vizs SUCK bad!!!
:-o

Jeff