slowed down performance

matt

slowed down performance
I downloaded a movie clip a couple of weeks ago, Windows media player
opened but was unresponsive and I had to manually shut down the computer.
Ever since, it takes 10-20X the amount of time for applications to open and
for most other things within applications to happen – and it’s getting
progressively worse.
I’ve done complete virus checks (with Avast!), ran the memory test, ran
the malicious software removal tool, defragged the hard drive a few times,
removed Norton (the computer won’t let me remove LiveUpdate) and looked at
the startup programs for anything suspicious. No new software has been
installed for months.
I initially found a work-around by using system restore to get me back to
the day before the incident, but the problem comes back after I shut down the
computer and turn it on again. After using it half a dozen times, system
restore now fails every time I try to use it.
I bought a Dell Dimension E520 with Vista Home 6mo ago.

Can anyone give me some pointers to get my computers performance back?
(I know the date and approximate time that i downloaded the movie, so, can I
look for a file with that date somewhere so i can delete it, perhaps?)
matt
Malke

Re: slowed down performance
matt wrote:
> I downloaded a movie clip a couple of weeks ago, Windows media player
> opened but was unresponsive and I had to manually shut down the computer.
> Ever since, it takes 10-20X the amount of time for applications to open and
> for most other things within applications to happen – and it’s getting
> progressively worse.
> I’ve done complete virus checks (with Avast!), ran the memory test, ran
> the malicious software removal tool, defragged the hard drive a few times,
> removed Norton (the computer won’t let me remove LiveUpdate) and looked at
> the startup programs for anything suspicious. No new software has been
> installed for months.
> I initially found a work-around by using system restore to get me back to
> the day before the incident, but the problem comes back after I shut down the
> computer and turn it on again. After using it half a dozen times, system
> restore now fails every time I try to use it.
> I bought a Dell Dimension E520 with Vista Home 6mo ago.
>
> Can anyone give me some pointers to get my computers performance back?
> (I know the date and approximate time that i downloaded the movie, so, can I
> look for a file with that date somewhere so i can delete it, perhaps?)
> matt

It sounds like you downloaded more than just a "movie clip". Perhaps the
site from where you downloaded the clip said you needed to install a
"codec" in order to view the movie. If this is the case, there is a high
probability that your computer is now badly infested. As you have
discovered, doing a System Restore will not help you. The virus/malware
scanning you have done is inadequate.

At this point you should go to one of the specialty forums listed below
(in no particular order), register, read the posting FAQ, and post your
HijackThis log. Please do *not* post the HJT log here in the newsgroup.
You will get the guided help you need at whichever forum you choose.

http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Merijn
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...howtutorial=42 -
another tutorial
http://aumha.net/ - Click on the HijackThis forum. Read the announcement
and the stickies *first*.
http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html

Standard caveat: If the procedures look too complex - and there is no
shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a
professional computer repair shop (not your local version of
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be aware that not all local shops
are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may
be so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. Have all
your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com