Unchecking Transparency

MICHAEL

Unchecking Transparency
I've had a slightly aggravating problem with WinMail, lately.
When I went to reply to a post, there was a delay/hesitation
of a few seconds and the composition window would be all
white for a bit. This also happened when composing a new
mail message. Also, if I left-clicked-hold to select a portion of
text to cut out of the reply, the window froze a few seconds.
This only happened in Windows Mail, not in Outlook or any
other program. It just started doing it one day. I haven't installed
any new apps or changed any settings.

I did all the maintenance tasks on WinMail, nothing worked.
Then, I was messing around with the personalization settings,
I unchecked "Enable Transparency". Mysteriously, the WinMail
problem stopped. I turned it back on, and the problem reappeared.
I had not experienced this all through beta testing.
Also, with transparency off, I swear things seem a bit more zippy.
Very odd.

I don't know, just thought it interesting to pass along.

I have an ATI 9700 card.
2GB RAM
P4(HT) 3.4 GHz

-Michael

Chad Harris

Re: Unchecking Transparency
Michael--

In RTM but not any other build, I've experienced a Win Mail Not Responsive
"whiting of the interface" when I try to send a message and then hit
Tools>Get x number headers (this can be set at Options)to download new
messages. I just leave it alone and although it takes about 20 seconds, it
usually resolves. If not, I restart Win Mail so it's a minor annoyance. You
might try running SFC from an elevated cmd prompt.

If there is a connection between unchecking transparency, or Aero Glass and
this, I don't know what it is.

CH

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> I've had a slightly aggravating problem with WinMail, lately.
> When I went to reply to a post, there was a delay/hesitation
> of a few seconds and the composition window would be all white for a bit.
> This also happened when composing a new
> mail message. Also, if I left-clicked-hold to select a portion of
> text to cut out of the reply, the window froze a few seconds.
> This only happened in Windows Mail, not in Outlook or any
> other program. It just started doing it one day. I haven't installed
> any new apps or changed any settings.
>
> I did all the maintenance tasks on WinMail, nothing worked.
> Then, I was messing around with the personalization settings,
> I unchecked "Enable Transparency". Mysteriously, the WinMail
> problem stopped. I turned it back on, and the problem reappeared.
> I had not experienced this all through beta testing.
> Also, with transparency off, I swear things seem a bit more zippy.
> Very odd.
>
> I don't know, just thought it interesting to pass along.
>
> I have an ATI 9700 card.
> 2GB RAM
> P4(HT) 3.4 GHz
>
> -Michael

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Unchecking Transparency
I get a lot of "not responding" episodes and have to wait Win Mail out until
it comes back. I have seen it in another program or two. The greater the
number of messages in a newsgroup, the more frequently it happens. It looks
like an apphang but appears normal (albeit annoying).

"Chad Harris" <fixvista-itneedsit.net> wrote in message
> Michael--
>
> In RTM but not any other build, I've experienced a Win Mail Not Responsive
> "whiting of the interface" when I try to send a message and then hit
> Tools>Get x number headers (this can be set at Options)to download new
> messages. I just leave it alone and although it takes about 20 seconds,
> it usually resolves. If not, I restart Win Mail so it's a minor annoyance.
> You might try running SFC from an elevated cmd prompt.
>
> If there is a connection between unchecking transparency, or Aero Glass
> and this, I don't know what it is.
>
> CH
>

> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>> I've had a slightly aggravating problem with WinMail, lately.
>> When I went to reply to a post, there was a delay/hesitation
>> of a few seconds and the composition window would be all white for a bit.
>> This also happened when composing a new
>> mail message. Also, if I left-clicked-hold to select a portion of
>> text to cut out of the reply, the window froze a few seconds.
>> This only happened in Windows Mail, not in Outlook or any
>> other program. It just started doing it one day. I haven't installed
>> any new apps or changed any settings.
>>
>> I did all the maintenance tasks on WinMail, nothing worked.
>> Then, I was messing around with the personalization settings,
>> I unchecked "Enable Transparency". Mysteriously, the WinMail
>> problem stopped. I turned it back on, and the problem reappeared.
>> I had not experienced this all through beta testing.
>> Also, with transparency off, I swear things seem a bit more zippy.
>> Very odd.
>>
>> I don't know, just thought it interesting to pass along.
>>
>> I have an ATI 9700 card.
>> 2GB RAM
>> P4(HT) 3.4 GHz
>>
>> -Michael

Robert Firth

Re: Unchecking Transparency
After I tried to archive all the messages in the tech beta newsgroups, Win
Mail got so slow I had to delete all the accounts and messages and recreate
them.

Every time I started Win Mail, it would stop responding. It was only trying
to process 100,000+ messages!

--
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Robert Firth *

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
>I get a lot of "not responding" episodes and have to wait Win Mail out
>until it comes back. I have seen it in another program or two. The
>greater the number of messages in a newsgroup, the more frequently it
>happens. It looks like an apphang but appears normal (albeit annoying).
>
> "Chad Harris" <fixvista-itneedsit.net> wrote in message
>> Michael--
>>
>> In RTM but not any other build, I've experienced a Win Mail Not
>> Responsive "whiting of the interface" when I try to send a message and
>> then hit Tools>Get x number headers (this can be set at Options)to
>> download new messages. I just leave it alone and although it takes about
>> 20 seconds, it usually resolves. If not, I restart Win Mail so it's a
>> minor annoyance. You might try running SFC from an elevated cmd prompt.
>>
>> If there is a connection between unchecking transparency, or Aero Glass
>> and this, I don't know what it is.
>>
>> CH
>>

>> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>>> I've had a slightly aggravating problem with WinMail, lately.
>>> When I went to reply to a post, there was a delay/hesitation
>>> of a few seconds and the composition window would be all white for a
>>> bit. This also happened when composing a new
>>> mail message. Also, if I left-clicked-hold to select a portion of
>>> text to cut out of the reply, the window froze a few seconds.
>>> This only happened in Windows Mail, not in Outlook or any
>>> other program. It just started doing it one day. I haven't installed
>>> any new apps or changed any settings.
>>>
>>> I did all the maintenance tasks on WinMail, nothing worked.
>>> Then, I was messing around with the personalization settings,
>>> I unchecked "Enable Transparency". Mysteriously, the WinMail
>>> problem stopped. I turned it back on, and the problem reappeared.
>>> I had not experienced this all through beta testing.
>>> Also, with transparency off, I swear things seem a bit more zippy.
>>> Very odd.
>>>
>>> I don't know, just thought it interesting to pass along.
>>>
>>> I have an ATI 9700 card.
>>> 2GB RAM
>>> P4(HT) 3.4 GHz
>>>
>>> -Michael

MICHAEL

Re: Unchecking Transparency
I get those, too. But this was different, and the behavior stopped
once I unchecked transparency. On two other machines, it don't
have the problem. Compose and reply windows pop up instantly,
and selecting multiple lines of text to cut doesn't cause a temporary
freeze. This only recently started happening on this laptop.

Oh well, for whatever reason, that WinMail problem is no more.
And I don't even notice transparency not being on- don't miss it.

-Michael

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
>I get a lot of "not responding" episodes and have to wait Win Mail out until it comes back. I
>have seen it in another program or two. The greater the number of messages in a newsgroup,
>the more frequently it happens. It looks like an apphang but appears normal (albeit
>annoying).
>
> "Chad Harris" <fixvista-itneedsit.net> wrote in message
>> Michael--
>>
>> In RTM but not any other build, I've experienced a Win Mail Not Responsive "whiting of the
>> interface" when I try to send a message and then hit Tools>Get x number headers (this can
>> be set at Options)to download new messages. I just leave it alone and although it takes
>> about 20 seconds, it usually resolves. If not, I restart Win Mail so it's a minor annoyance.
>> You might try running SFC from an elevated cmd prompt.
>>
>> If there is a connection between unchecking transparency, or Aero Glass and this, I don't
>> know what it is.
>>
>> CH
>>

>> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>>> I've had a slightly aggravating problem with WinMail, lately.
>>> When I went to reply to a post, there was a delay/hesitation
>>> of a few seconds and the composition window would be all white for a bit. This also
>>> happened when composing a new
>>> mail message. Also, if I left-clicked-hold to select a portion of
>>> text to cut out of the reply, the window froze a few seconds.
>>> This only happened in Windows Mail, not in Outlook or any
>>> other program. It just started doing it one day. I haven't installed
>>> any new apps or changed any settings.
>>>
>>> I did all the maintenance tasks on WinMail, nothing worked.
>>> Then, I was messing around with the personalization settings,
>>> I unchecked "Enable Transparency". Mysteriously, the WinMail
>>> problem stopped. I turned it back on, and the problem reappeared.
>>> I had not experienced this all through beta testing.
>>> Also, with transparency off, I swear things seem a bit more zippy.
>>> Very odd.
>>>
>>> I don't know, just thought it interesting to pass along.
>>>
>>> I have an ATI 9700 card.
>>> 2GB RAM
>>> P4(HT) 3.4 GHz
>>>
>>> -Michael

Chad Harris

Re: Unchecking Transparency
This thread has made me think that all of us are getting some hangup with
WinMail when we reach a certain critical mass of messages that are
downloaded. I ran into this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/winperf/archiv...ts-are-in.aspx

"Windows Vista Aero had little effect on the responsiveness of Windows
Vista. Over 95 percent of the response-time differences between tests we ran
with and without Vista Aero were under a tenth of a second, and all of the
differences were under one second."

>I get those, too. But this was different, and the behavior stopped
> once I unchecked transparency. On two other machines, it don't
> have the problem. Compose and reply windows pop up instantly,
> and selecting multiple lines of text to cut doesn't cause a temporary
> freeze. This only recently started happening on this laptop.
>
> Oh well, for whatever reason, that WinMail problem is no more.
> And I don't even notice transparency not being on- don't miss it.
>

> -Michael
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
>>I get a lot of "not responding" episodes and have to wait Win Mail out
>>until it comes back. I have seen it in another program or two. The
>>greater the number of messages in a newsgroup, the more frequently it
>>happens. It looks like an apphang but appears normal (albeit annoying).
>>
>> "Chad Harris" <fixvista-itneedsit.net> wrote in message
>>> Michael--
>>>
>>> In RTM but not any other build, I've experienced a Win Mail Not
>>> Responsive "whiting of the interface" when I try to send a message and
>>> then hit Tools>Get x number headers (this can be set at Options)to
>>> download new messages. I just leave it alone and although it takes
>>> about 20 seconds, it usually resolves. If not, I restart Win Mail so
>>> it's a minor annoyance. You might try running SFC from an elevated cmd
>>> prompt.
>>>
>>> If there is a connection between unchecking transparency, or Aero Glass
>>> and this, I don't know what it is.
>>>
>>> CH

MICHAEL

Re: Unchecking Transparency
Interesting article, Chad.

However, I didn't turn off Aero, just the transparency.
I can still do the flip windows thingy.

-Michael

> This thread has made me think that all of us are getting some hangup with WinMail when we
> reach a certain critical mass of messages that are downloaded. I ran into this:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/winperf/archiv...ts-are-in.aspx
>
> "Windows Vista Aero had little effect on the responsiveness of Windows Vista. Over 95 percent
> of the response-time differences between tests we ran with and without Vista Aero were under
> a tenth of a second, and all of the differences were under one second."
>
> CH
>
> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>>I get those, too. But this was different, and the behavior stopped
>> once I unchecked transparency. On two other machines, it don't
>> have the problem. Compose and reply windows pop up instantly,
>> and selecting multiple lines of text to cut doesn't cause a temporary
>> freeze. This only recently started happening on this laptop.
>>
>> Oh well, for whatever reason, that WinMail problem is no more.
>> And I don't even notice transparency not being on- don't miss it.
>>

>> -Michael
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
>>>I get a lot of "not responding" episodes and have to wait Win Mail out until it comes back.
>>>I have seen it in another program or two. The greater the number of messages in a
>>>newsgroup, the more frequently it happens. It looks like an apphang but appears normal
>>>(albeit annoying).

I.P. Nichols

"MICHAEL" wrote:
> Interesting article, Chad.
>
> However, I didn't turn off Aero, just the transparency.
> I can still do the flip windows thingy.

Michael,

I have always experienced slown performance with Mail, things like
ctrl-shift-a to mark all messages read would take many seconds and when I
decide to delete all messages from the prior month to shorten the number of
stored messages it took a minute or two and almost everything was way slower
than in OE6.

After reading your message I unchecked transparency and like magic I got
snappy performance same as in OE6.

And yeah, I was already aware of the testing results report that Chad
mentions. Likely this problem is confined to only Mail and l'll bet they
never tested Mail's performance.

Thanks for the tip, it cures a real frustation I've had with Vista. I had
tried resorting to Classic Windows but that appears to turn off the Windows
Display Manager feature. And as you say, I don't really miss transparency.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Said_=22Szajd=22_D=E1niel?=

Re: Unchecking Transparency
Hi,

I don't have this problem, but anyway, I'd suggest to check out if there's
been any drivers automatically downloaded from Windows Update for your video
card, or that you downloaded the beta driver from ATi.

In device manager, try to roll back your driver if it's possible.

While, as I mentioned, I don't have this problem, the ATi website drivers,
and the WU drivers (dated 19/12/2006) are causing some minor problems (like
IE7 flickering on live.com, etc.), so, for now, I'm better off with the
included out of the box ATi drivers.

Maybe, all I've said isn't applicable for your case.

--Szajd

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> I've had a slightly aggravating problem with WinMail, lately.
> When I went to reply to a post, there was a delay/hesitation
> of a few seconds and the composition window would be all white for a bit.
> This also happened when composing a new
> mail message. Also, if I left-clicked-hold to select a portion of
> text to cut out of the reply, the window froze a few seconds.
> This only happened in Windows Mail, not in Outlook or any
> other program. It just started doing it one day. I haven't installed
> any new apps or changed any settings.
>
> I did all the maintenance tasks on WinMail, nothing worked.
> Then, I was messing around with the personalization settings,
> I unchecked "Enable Transparency". Mysteriously, the WinMail
> problem stopped. I turned it back on, and the problem reappeared.
> I had not experienced this all through beta testing.
> Also, with transparency off, I swear things seem a bit more zippy.
> Very odd.
>
> I don't know, just thought it interesting to pass along.
>
> I have an ATI 9700 card.
> 2GB RAM
> P4(HT) 3.4 GHz
>
> -Michael

MICHAEL

"I.P. Nichols" <NoSpan@nada.com> wrote in message news:uvft0lKLHHA.4384@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> "MICHAEL" wrote:
>> Interesting article, Chad.
>>
>> However, I didn't turn off Aero, just the transparency.
>> I can still do the flip windows thingy.

> Michael,
>
> I have always experienced slown performance with Mail, things like ctrl-shift-a to mark all
> messages read would take many seconds and when I decide to delete all messages from the prior
> month to shorten the number of stored messages it took a minute or two and almost everything
> was way slower than in OE6.
>
> After reading your message I unchecked transparency and like magic I got snappy performance
> same as in OE6.
>
> And yeah, I was already aware of the testing results report that Chad mentions. Likely this
> problem is confined to only Mail and l'll bet they never tested Mail's performance.
>
> Thanks for the tip, it cures a real frustation I've had with Vista. I had tried resorting to
> Classic Windows but that appears to turn off the Windows Display Manager feature. And as you
> say, I don't really miss transparency.

I'm not sure what is really going on with WinMail, I think most of the
problems are with the new database that WinMail uses. However,
for me, with the reply/compose windows being slow to open- turning
off transparency did something. I have no idea what one has to do
with the other (if anything beyond my imagination), I can only report
what I have seen and experienced. Turning off transparency didn't
heal WinMail of all that inflicts it.

I have to say, I am sort of disappointed with WinMail and can not believe
it was released in its current condition. This is the program that so many
will use every single day. Most folks will use it for email. Thankfully, I use
Outlook for email. But for your regular users, WinMail and Internet Explorer
will be the two programs they see all the time. A lot of users will pass
judgment on Vista based on the poor performance of WinMail. The ever
so annoying "Not Responding" is going to confuse/frustrate a lot of folks.
Think about it, in WinXP most regular users' experience centered around
OE and IE. They are going to start using WinMail and wonder WTF was
improved. I know all about the "under the hood" stuff, but the actual experience
with WinMail will leave many quite unsatisfied. Of course, I think a lot has to
do with almost intentional neglect- Microsoft would rather see folks move to
Windows Live Mail Desktop or Windows Live Mail. Both equal advertising
revenue.

I also tried using Windows Classic instead of Windows Aero, I actually find
performance better with Aero on, but with transparency turned off. It doesn't
make much sense, I almost always use maximized windows. Which is why I
don't notice transparency being off. Anyway, I'm glad my tip seems to have
helped you. I wouldn't count on it being a miracle cure. We both may have
something else in common that may be interacting poorly with transparent
windows, and/or perhaps, WinMail has some special bug with transparency.
I just don't know.

Take care,

Michael