Speed differences between 32-bit and 64-bit Vista?

Phillip Pi

Speed differences between 32-bit and 64-bit Vista?
Hi.

Since I installed both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista Ultimate Edition on my
old test machine (ASUS K8V SE Deluxe, Athlon 64 3200+ [754 CPU], 512 MB
of RAM, SATA HDD, etc.), I notice the speeds are identical. I can't see
and feel any improvements. I did install the ATI Radeon 9600 AIW drivers
to help the video speed, but I just don't see the speed differences. Am
I expecting too much or missing something? I don't have any other
program installed so far. It's just a bare Vista with the latest ATI/AMD
video drivers from ati.com/amd.com.

Thank you in advance.
--
Phillip Pi
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
Dustin

re:Speed differences between 32-bit and 64-bit Vista?
There will not be much, if any, speed differences for general use.
64-bit does not mean double the performance of a 32-bit system. It
allows the software to address more memory, and at a larger chunk at
a time.

With a large database or server, a 64-bit CPU and OS makes more sense,
and will notice a small increase in speed.

Richard Urban

Re: Speed differences between 32-bit and 64-bit Vista?
If you run CPU intensive programs, such as rendering video or working with
Photoshop, you will see a difference (assuming that the programs that are
written to 64 bit standards). Not many programs are now at that stage in
their development. The developers have been holding off, waiting to see if
the public demands such. Also, there are some programs that will just not
see much benefit by porting them to 64 bit.

Also, many/most companies will not want to have two versions of every
program they sell. The companies will likely hold off till Vista 64 bit has
proliferated the market.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban