Vista Windows Explorer Left Panel Slowdown

Ed Gowen

Vista Windows Explorer Left Panel Slowdown
Using Vista Business Edition MSDN-AA on a Dell Latitude D810 Laptop -
Windows Experience Index: 3.6

When first booted and logged-on, Windows Explorer launches quickly. After
some use, starting Windows Explorer takes a long time to populate the left
panel. The right panel loads quickly but the tree view in the left panel
takes so long that eventually the windows is marked as "Not Responding". It
takes as long as 60 to 90 seconds but eventually, the left panel populates
and runs well. Restart or even just Log-off/Log-on restores Windows
Explorer startup speed but eventually the problem returns.

The same delay is experienced when downloading a file after the system has
been up for awhile and the file / save as dialog box is displayed. It takes
a long time to be available but eventually it works and the download is
normal. During the delay there is no significant network, hard drive or
unusual CPU activity level.

Software loaded: Office 2003 / Nero 7 Ultra (Scout has already been
disabled) / Lotus Notes / HyperSnap 6/ Symantec Antivirus Corporate -
10.2.0.276 / Visual Studio 2005 (with Vista hotfix), Advanced Vista Codec
Package.

Any suggestions would be welcome,

Ed Gowen

Red nosed raindeer

Re: Vista Windows Explorer Left Panel Slowdown
You are lucky.. I get not responding when I delete a shortcut or 1 kb text
file...

Vista is so well written its amazing.. when you empty the recycle bin.. it
thinks about
it for minutes... then it has a not responding too.. this is a safegaurd in
case you decide to not delete the file while its emptying.. you pull the
plug and you reboot and its there...

microsoft is brilliant

"Ed Gowen" <egowen@msn.com> wrote in message
> Using Vista Business Edition MSDN-AA on a Dell Latitude D810 Laptop -
> Windows Experience Index: 3.6
>
> When first booted and logged-on, Windows Explorer launches quickly. After
> some use, starting Windows Explorer takes a long time to populate the left
> panel. The right panel loads quickly but the tree view in the left panel
> takes so long that eventually the windows is marked as "Not Responding".
> It
> takes as long as 60 to 90 seconds but eventually, the left panel populates
> and runs well. Restart or even just Log-off/Log-on restores Windows
> Explorer startup speed but eventually the problem returns.
>
> The same delay is experienced when downloading a file after the system has
> been up for awhile and the file / save as dialog box is displayed. It
> takes
> a long time to be available but eventually it works and the download is
> normal. During the delay there is no significant network, hard drive or
> unusual CPU activity level.
>
> Software loaded: Office 2003 / Nero 7 Ultra (Scout has already been
> disabled) / Lotus Notes / HyperSnap 6/ Symantec Antivirus Corporate -
> 10.2.0.276 / Visual Studio 2005 (with Vista hotfix), Advanced Vista Codec
> Package.
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome,
>
> Ed Gowen

Tom Lake

"Red nosed raindeer" <-> wrote in message
> You are lucky.. I get not responding when I delete a shortcut or 1 kb text file...
>
> Vista is so well written its amazing.. when you empty the recycle bin.. it thinks
> about
> it for minutes... then it has a not responding too.. this is a safegaurd in case
> you decide to not delete the file while its emptying.. you pull the plug and you
> reboot and its there...
>
> microsoft is brilliant

Sometimes when you click on something, nothing happens. Vista
is waiting for you to click again just to make sure you REALLY wanted
to do that. Aren't we lucky to have an OS that really cares what we want?

=?Utf-8?B?RWQgR293ZW4=?=

RE: Vista Windows Explorer Left Panel Slowdown (Cause Found!)
Much has now been written about this problem but the best explanation I've
seen is in Mark Russinovich's blog at:
http://blogs.technet.com/markrussino...27/532465.aspx

Hopefully, Microsoft will move to fix this issue fairly soon. ;-)

"Ed Gowen" wrote:

> Using Vista Business Edition MSDN-AA on a Dell Latitude D810 Laptop -
> Windows Experience Index: 3.6
>
> When first booted and logged-on, Windows Explorer launches quickly. After
> some use, starting Windows Explorer takes a long time to populate the left
> panel. The right panel loads quickly but the tree view in the left panel
> takes so long that eventually the windows is marked as "Not Responding". It
> takes as long as 60 to 90 seconds but eventually, the left panel populates
> and runs well. Restart or even just Log-off/Log-on restores Windows
> Explorer startup speed but eventually the problem returns.
>
> The same delay is experienced when downloading a file after the system has
> been up for awhile and the file / save as dialog box is displayed. It takes
> a long time to be available but eventually it works and the download is
> normal. During the delay there is no significant network, hard drive or
> unusual CPU activity level.
>
> Software loaded: Office 2003 / Nero 7 Ultra (Scout has already been
> disabled) / Lotus Notes / HyperSnap 6/ Symantec Antivirus Corporate -
> 10.2.0.276 / Visual Studio 2005 (with Vista hotfix), Advanced Vista Codec
> Package.
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome,
>
> Ed Gowen

MICHAEL

Re: Vista Windows Explorer Left Panel Slowdown (Cause Found!)
Thanks for that. An interesting read, and the comments, too.

-Michael