what the size of ur windows folder

=?Utf-8?B?U09VVFk=?=

what the size of ur windows folder
hi there !
i'm running Windows vista RTM 6000 i wonder why windows folder size is about
8GB is there any way to reduce this size or delete unnesesry folders
can i disable paging file?
AFTER INSTALLING this windows my 4 USB ports doesn't work
hellllllllllllllllllp
p4 3GHZ MB intel945P 1GB RAM HD 250GB
NewFox

Re: what the size of ur windows folder
Its enough fit an entire installation of linux with thousands of
applications and with enough space to throw in a complete installation of XP
with a hundred applications installed.
THATS the size of my vista windows folder

Who said anything about vista bloat?

LOL

"SOUTY" <SOUTY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi there !
> i'm running Windows vista RTM 6000 i wonder why windows folder size is
> about
> 8GB is there any way to reduce this size or delete unnesesry folders
> can i disable paging file?
> AFTER INSTALLING this windows my 4 USB ports doesn't work
> hellllllllllllllllllp
> p4 3GHZ MB intel945P 1GB RAM HD 250GB

Colin Nash [MVP]

Re: what the size of ur windows folder

"SOUTY" <SOUTY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi there !
> i'm running Windows vista RTM 6000 i wonder why windows folder size is
> about
> 8GB is there any way to reduce this size or delete unnesesry folders
> can i disable paging file?
> AFTER INSTALLING this windows my 4 USB ports doesn't work
> hellllllllllllllllllp
> p4 3GHZ MB intel945P 1GB RAM HD 250GB

Mine is about 7.4GB

I think one reason is that the setup routine works differently: it basically
copies an image of the drive instead of extracting individual files as
previous versions of Windows did. The result is a faster installation even
though a bit more is written to the disk than truly needed. Vista comes on
a DVD now, not on CD

Disk space is cheap anyway! 8GB is less than 5% of most new hard drives
nowadays.

Robert Moir

SOUTY wrote:
> hi there !
> i'm running Windows vista RTM 6000 i wonder why windows folder size
> is about 8GB

Because Vista does a lot and isn't shy about using a lot of disk space to
help itself with that. It's the "correct" size for a Vista install. Right
now I'm still thinking about what sort of disk requirements I'm going to
suggest to people who ask me about running Vista, and the OS partition is
definately going to be a minimum of 50Gb free in my guidelines.

> is there any way to reduce this size or delete unnesesry
> folders

Not a substantial amount, no. There certainly isn't a laundry list of things
we can tell you to "just delete". For a start, how can we tell you what
isn't needed when you don't tell us what you use the computer for? For
example, I would personally want to try and get rid of media centre because
i don't use that, but telling you to delete a bunch of media centre files
isn't really helpful if you want to use your computer as a media centre.

> can i disable paging file?

That depends. Do you prefer trying to use your computer when it's working,
or do you prefer trying to use your computer when it isn't working?

> AFTER INSTALLING this windows my 4 USB ports doesn't work
> hellllllllllllllllllp

I suggest you trot along to the Intel website and download motherboard
drivers, that will hopefully help.

=?Utf-8?B?U09VVFk=?=

Re: what the size of ur windows folder
thanks alot any way! yes i need to delete media center files i'm not using it
i downloaded the last inf update from intel and the problem still although
the 4 ports of USB works fine in same time on my another OS XP without
instaling driver

"Robert Moir" wrote:

> SOUTY wrote:
> > hi there !
> > i'm running Windows vista RTM 6000 i wonder why windows folder size
> > is about 8GB

> Because Vista does a lot and isn't shy about using a lot of disk space to
> help itself with that. It's the "correct" size for a Vista install. Right
> now I'm still thinking about what sort of disk requirements I'm going to
> suggest to people who ask me about running Vista, and the OS partition is
> definately going to be a minimum of 50Gb free in my guidelines.
>
> > is there any way to reduce this size or delete unnesesry
> > folders

> Not a substantial amount, no. There certainly isn't a laundry list of things
> we can tell you to "just delete". For a start, how can we tell you what
> isn't needed when you don't tell us what you use the computer for? For
> example, I would personally want to try and get rid of media centre because
> i don't use that, but telling you to delete a bunch of media centre files
> isn't really helpful if you want to use your computer as a media centre.
>
> > can i disable paging file?

> That depends. Do you prefer trying to use your computer when it's working,
> or do you prefer trying to use your computer when it isn't working?
>
> > AFTER INSTALLING this windows my 4 USB ports doesn't work
> > hellllllllllllllllllp

> I suggest you trot along to the Intel website and download motherboard
> drivers, that will hopefully help.

Hertz_Donut

Re: what the size of ur windows folder
The only "bloat" is the ego of idiots like you that think linux is the
answer to every question asked here.

Honu

"NewFox" <-> wrote in message
> Its enough fit an entire installation of linux with thousands of
> applications and with enough space to throw in a complete installation of
> XP with a hundred applications installed.
> THATS the size of my vista windows folder
>
> Who said anything about vista bloat?
>
> LOL
>

> "SOUTY" <SOUTY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> hi there !
>> i'm running Windows vista RTM 6000 i wonder why windows folder size is
>> about
>> 8GB is there any way to reduce this size or delete unnesesry folders
>> can i disable paging file?
>> AFTER INSTALLING this windows my 4 USB ports doesn't work
>> hellllllllllllllllllp
>> p4 3GHZ MB intel945P 1GB RAM HD 250GB

=?Utf-8?B?dXNhc21h?=

Re: what the size of ur windows folder
Mine is 7.5 gB. The paging file shouldn't make any difference in the size as
it'll be located in the root of your system drive (C: usually). I've moved
mine to another drive and didn't see the performance increase that I saw when
doing this in XP.

- John
NewFox

Re: what the size of ur windows folder
Why do you keep talking about Linux? Did someone stick a penguin up your
as*?

Xp is the best OS Microsoft ever made, and is better than OSX (becuase
everything is made for windows, its not the os that much) or
any version of linux (for desktop use).

But vista is trash.. and if you like it, it means you know nothing about
computers
and you are stupid. No, you are stupid nevetheless... if you like vista, you
are just extra stupid. Merry Christmas!

"Hertz_Donut" <nowhere@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> The only "bloat" is the ego of idiots like you that think linux is the
> answer to every question asked here.
>
> Honu
>

> "NewFox" <-> wrote in message
>> Its enough fit an entire installation of linux with thousands of
>> applications and with enough space to throw in a complete installation of
>> XP with a hundred applications installed.
>> THATS the size of my vista windows folder
>>
>> Who said anything about vista bloat?
>>
>> LOL
>>

>> "SOUTY" <SOUTY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> hi there !
>>> i'm running Windows vista RTM 6000 i wonder why windows folder size is
>>> about
>>> 8GB is there any way to reduce this size or delete unnesesry folders
>>> can i disable paging file?
>>> AFTER INSTALLING this windows my 4 USB ports doesn't work
>>> hellllllllllllllllllp
>>> p4 3GHZ MB intel945P 1GB RAM HD 250GB

John E. Carty

Re: what the size of ur windows folder
Someone needs to pull the stick out of your ass :-)

"NewFox" <-> wrote in message news:uv9z5NGKHHA.1816@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Why do you keep talking about Linux? Did someone stick a penguin up your
> as*?
>
> Xp is the best OS Microsoft ever made, and is better than OSX (becuase
> everything is made for windows, its not the os that much) or
> any version of linux (for desktop use).
>
> But vista is trash.. and if you like it, it means you know nothing about
> computers
> and you are stupid. No, you are stupid nevetheless... if you like vista,
> you
> are just extra stupid. Merry Christmas!
>

> "Hertz_Donut" <nowhere@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> The only "bloat" is the ego of idiots like you that think linux is the
>> answer to every question asked here.
>>
>> Honu
>>

>> "NewFox" <-> wrote in message
>>> Its enough fit an entire installation of linux with thousands of
>>> applications and with enough space to throw in a complete installation
>>> of XP with a hundred applications installed.
>>> THATS the size of my vista windows folder
>>>
>>> Who said anything about vista bloat?
>>>
>>> LOL

John Marion

Re: what the size of ur windows folder