Recovery Console in Vista?

=?Utf-8?B?Sm8=?=

Recovery Console in Vista?
Does Vista have the ability to install a Recovery Console similar to WinXP?
Is it a console specific to Vista? I have a new computer with one SATA drive
and no floppy drive. I can't get into the recovery console at all because I
get a blue screen, I think due to not being able to install the SATA drivers.
Vista has the ability to access a CD for drivers, unlike XP, and I'm
thinking if it has it's own recovery console, it might be able to access
drivers on a CD, too, giving me a better chance of being able to use the
recovery console once I upgrade. Does anyone have any information on this?
I really depend on the Recovery Console for fixing errors and just doing good
checkdisks. (I find that the one that runs after telling XP to run a
checkdisk at the next boot doesn't always fix all the errors.)
John Barnett MVP

Re: Recovery Console in Vista?
Vista doesn't have a recovery console similar to the one in XP. The windows
Vista DVD is bootable and you have 'repair' options. These allow you access
to the command prompt, system restore, memeory diagnostics and access to the
complete pc backup which allows you to re-imagwe your drive from backup DVDs
or hard drive you created using the windows Vista backup application.
Unfortunately you don't have a repair install option. So if yuo don't create
a backup image using the Window Vista backup application, should something
go radically wrong you are foreced to completely re-install the operating
system all over again.
For a little more information visit my website http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Click ont he Vista Faq tab and then look at questions 51 and 52

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Jo" <Jo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does Vista have the ability to install a Recovery Console similar to
> WinXP?
> Is it a console specific to Vista? I have a new computer with one SATA
> drive
> and no floppy drive. I can't get into the recovery console at all because
> get a blue screen, I think due to not being able to install the SATA
> drivers.
> Vista has the ability to access a CD for drivers, unlike XP, and I'm
> thinking if it has it's own recovery console, it might be able to access
> drivers on a CD, too, giving me a better chance of being able to use the
> recovery console once I upgrade. Does anyone have any information on
> this?
> I really depend on the Recovery Console for fixing errors and just doing
> good
> checkdisks. (I find that the one that runs after telling XP to run a
> checkdisk at the next boot doesn't always fix all the errors.)

Tom Lake

"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> Vista doesn't have a recovery console similar to the one in XP. The windows Vista
> DVD is bootable and you have 'repair' options. These allow you access to the
> command prompt, system restore, memeory diagnostics and access to the complete pc
> backup which allows you to re-imagwe your drive from backup DVDs or hard drive you
> created using the windows Vista backup application. Unfortunately you don't have a
> repair install option. So if yuo don't create a backup image using the Window Vista
> backup application, should something go radically wrong you are foreced to
> completely re-install the operating system all over again.

I did a regular install over the top of my first RTM install and all my settings,
emails, etc. were retained and all the errors I was experiencing were fixed.
Here's a link to the method for XP which works identically for Vista:

http://www.informationweek.com/LP/sh...leID=189400897

Tom Lake

=?Utf-8?B?Sm8=?=

Re: Recovery Console in Vista?
Will this work with a SATA drive? I can't access the WinXP recovery console
on my brand new computer because it has a SATA drive and apparently WinXP
can't recognize the drive when going into the recovery console. I tried to
install drivers using F6, but that didn't work...don't have a floppy drive
and the attempt to install from a flash drive failed with an error message
every time. I was hoping the Vista recovery options would work with a SATA
drive, especially the one to recover a bad MBR or bootini file.

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> Vista doesn't have a recovery console similar to the one in XP. The windows
> Vista DVD is bootable and you have 'repair' options. These allow you access
> to the command prompt, system restore, memeory diagnostics and access to the
> complete pc backup which allows you to re-imagwe your drive from backup DVDs
> or hard drive you created using the windows Vista backup application.
> Unfortunately you don't have a repair install option. So if yuo don't create
> a backup image using the Window Vista backup application, should something
> go radically wrong you are foreced to completely re-install the operating
> system all over again.
> For a little more information visit my website http://vistasupport.mvps.org
> Click ont he Vista Faq tab and then look at questions 51 and 52
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>

> "Jo" <Jo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Does Vista have the ability to install a Recovery Console similar to
> > WinXP?
> > Is it a console specific to Vista? I have a new computer with one SATA
> > drive
> > and no floppy drive. I can't get into the recovery console at all because
> > get a blue screen, I think due to not being able to install the SATA
> > drivers.
> > Vista has the ability to access a CD for drivers, unlike XP, and I'm
> > thinking if it has it's own recovery console, it might be able to access
> > drivers on a CD, too, giving me a better chance of being able to use the
> > recovery console once I upgrade. Does anyone have any information on
> > this?
> > I really depend on the Recovery Console for fixing errors and just doing
> > good
> > checkdisks. (I find that the one that runs after telling XP to run a
> > checkdisk at the next boot doesn't always fix all the errors.)

Richard Urban

Re: Recovery Console in Vista?
Even with Vista you will have to install the SATA drivers in order for the
installer, or the repair option, to see the SATA drives. But with Vista you
have more options on where you can install them from, including CD, DVD,
USB, floppy.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban