Windows Vista Backup and Restore Center

=?Utf-8?B?U3Rhbg==?=

Windows Vista Backup and Restore Center
Does anyone else think this app sucks? Maybe it's just limited.

I want to be able to choose what gets backed up on my laptop, not have
Microsoft decide what to backup.

ie: I keep ALL my data, and I do mean all, in a folder called My Data on
the C drive. I have been doing this for years.

And that is all I want to backup. I don't do complete system backups, if
that anything ever happens to my hard drive, I will reload the OS and then
restore my files. It's a way of keeping my hard drive fresh and clean if
anything should happen to it. I may not want to recover my entire hard drive.

Thanks.
Richard Urban

Re: Windows Vista Backup and Restore Center
Microsoft has to be careful of what they include in the O/S due to concerns
of the "competition". Remember, MS is always being sued. They have to leave
room for 3rd party software to "improve" upon what Microsoft supplies as
part of the system.

In this case I believe it was Symantec - who purchased Backup Exec from
whomever owned it before. Symantec began screaming many months ago about
Windows backup.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Stan" <Stan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone else think this app sucks? Maybe it's just limited.
>
> I want to be able to choose what gets backed up on my laptop, not have
> Microsoft decide what to backup.
>
> ie: I keep ALL my data, and I do mean all, in a folder called My Data on
> the C drive. I have been doing this for years.
>
> And that is all I want to backup. I don't do complete system backups, if
> that anything ever happens to my hard drive, I will reload the OS and then
> restore my files. It's a way of keeping my hard drive fresh and clean if
> anything should happen to it. I may not want to recover my entire hard
> drive.
>
> Thanks.

Peter M

Re: Windows Vista Backup and Restore Center
Besides, MS's solution is dodgy... for some it works, for others it's a
nightmare. I'll go with Acronis for $100, Alex.
PS.. symantec has destroyed every good prog they've bought... veritas for
backup, ghost, etc.

> Microsoft has to be careful of what they include in the O/S due to
> concerns of the "competition". Remember, MS is always being sued. They
> have to leave room for 3rd party software to "improve" upon what Microsoft
> supplies as part of the system.
>
> In this case I believe it was Symantec - who purchased Backup Exec from
> whomever owned it before. Symantec began screaming many months ago about
> Windows backup.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>

> "Stan" <Stan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Does anyone else think this app sucks? Maybe it's just limited.
>>
>> I want to be able to choose what gets backed up on my laptop, not have
>> Microsoft decide what to backup.
>>
>> ie: I keep ALL my data, and I do mean all, in a folder called My Data on
>> the C drive. I have been doing this for years.
>>
>> And that is all I want to backup. I don't do complete system backups, if
>> that anything ever happens to my hard drive, I will reload the OS and
>> then
>> restore my files. It's a way of keeping my hard drive fresh and clean if
>> anything should happen to it. I may not want to recover my entire hard
>> drive.
>>
>> Thanks.

Richard Urban

Re: Windows Vista Backup and Restore Center
Actually, at this point in time, TrueImage HOME ver 10.0 is the only program
certified for Vista and it cost about $50.00.

--

"Peter M" <phmcn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Besides, MS's solution is dodgy... for some it works, for others it's a
> nightmare. I'll go with Acronis for $100, Alex.
> PS.. symantec has destroyed every good prog they've bought... veritas for
> backup, ghost, etc.

>> Microsoft has to be careful of what they include in the O/S due to
>> concerns of the "competition". Remember, MS is always being sued. They
>> have to leave room for 3rd party software to "improve" upon what
>> Microsoft supplies as part of the system.
>>
>> In this case I believe it was Symantec - who purchased Backup Exec from
>> whomever owned it before. Symantec began screaming many months ago about
>> Windows backup.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from George Ankner:
>>

>> "Stan" <Stan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Does anyone else think this app sucks? Maybe it's just limited.
>>>
>>> I want to be able to choose what gets backed up on my laptop, not have
>>> Microsoft decide what to backup.
>>>
>>> ie: I keep ALL my data, and I do mean all, in a folder called My Data
>>> on
>>> the C drive. I have been doing this for years.
>>>
>>> And that is all I want to backup. I don't do complete system backups,
>>> if
>>> that anything ever happens to my hard drive, I will reload the OS and
>>> then
>>> restore my files. It's a way of keeping my hard drive fresh and clean
>>> if
>>> anything should happen to it. I may not want to recover my entire hard
>>> drive.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

Stephane Grobety

Richard Urban wrote:

> Microsoft has to be careful of what they include in the O/S due to
> concerns of the "competition".

It doesn't makes sense: They offered a working backup program in every
version of NT since 3.1 (ntbackup). It wasn't a greate backup program,
but at least is was capable of getting the job done right (something
the new "windows backup" tool simply doesn't allow for).

> In this case I believe it was Symantec - who purchased Backup Exec
> from whomever owned it before. Symantec began screaming many months
> ago about Windows backup.

Because Windows backup does (badly) what Norton Ghost did (a little bit
better). That doesn't mean that MS had to supress NTbackup which was a
tool that was actually working great.

Norton's own offering in the "real" backup category has nothing to fear
from NTbackup (or windows backup).

Stephane
John Barnett MVP

Re: Windows Vista Backup and Restore Center
Acronis True Image Home 10 is my choice of backup. The backup application in
Vista deosn't have any compressions, so if you have 30GB of data, programs,
operating system etc, and you come to backup with the Vista complete PC
Backup application, then you need 30GB of space (or whatever amount of space
you are currently using)
I dual boot windows XP and Vista, in order to use Vista's Complete PC Backup
it needs to backup 'both' drives - this is because Vista places certain
files on the C: drive (windows XP) and cannot perform without them, so i'm
not backing up one drive. If you don't have enough disk space, then you may
be looking at 5 or 6 DVDs to backup. The DVD supply is not the problem, it
is the time it takes to burn them.
While Vista's backup application may be useful, third party applications
will certainly give you more control. There is a big difference between
backing up 30GB with Aconis (which can reduce the backup size to 17GB or
less depending upon compression) and Vista's backup which needs the full
30GB.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert