Reliability Monitor

Alexander Burton

Reliability Monitor
Hello,

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate RTM and cannot seem to get the
reliability monitor to work. Each time I go to it it states it's either not
been running 24 hours or is corrupted and been reset.

Can someone point me in the direction of the services I need to turn on /
check to get this working? I don't want to reinstall if I can help it.

Thanks,

Alex.

Rick Rogers

Re: Reliability Monitor
Hi Alexander,

From it's help files, this may contain a clue as to which dependency is
falling down:

<quote>

Windows Reliability and Performance Monitor combines the functionality of
previous stand-alone tools including Performance Logs and Alerts (PLA),
Server Performance Advisor (SPA), and System Monitor. It provides a
graphical interface for the customization of Data Collector Sets and Event
Trace Sessions.

Windows Reliability and Performance Monitor consists of three monitoring
tools: Resource View, Performance Monitor, and Reliability Monitor. Data
collection and logging is performed using Data Collector Sets.

<end>

So those are the services that you need to make sure are either running, or
set to restart on failure.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Alexander Burton " <alexb@nospam.blurg.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate RTM and cannot seem to get the
> reliability monitor to work. Each time I go to it it states it's either
> not been running 24 hours or is corrupted and been reset.
>
> Can someone point me in the direction of the services I need to turn on /
> check to get this working? I don't want to reinstall if I can help it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex.

Alexander Burton

Re: Reliability Monitor
Hi Rick,

I had a look at it seems that the Performance Logs and Alerts service was
indeed not running. However after starting it the day before yesteday, I
looked today and it's still not working.

After looking around in the services, I noticed that the Windows Event Log
is not working either. When I go to the event viewer, I am presented with a
particular nasty Event Log Service is unavailable error. Trying to start
the Windows Event Log service resulted in a Error 3 : The system cannot find
the path specified.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

alex.

> Hi Alexander,
>
> From it's help files, this may contain a clue as to which dependency is
> falling down:
>
> <quote>
>
> Windows Reliability and Performance Monitor combines the functionality of
> previous stand-alone tools including Performance Logs and Alerts (PLA),
> Server Performance Advisor (SPA), and System Monitor. It provides a
> graphical interface for the customization of Data Collector Sets and Event
> Trace Sessions.
>
> Windows Reliability and Performance Monitor consists of three monitoring
> tools: Resource View, Performance Monitor, and Reliability Monitor. Data
> collection and logging is performed using Data Collector Sets.
>
> <end>
>
> So those are the services that you need to make sure are either running,
> or set to restart on failure.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Alexander Burton " <alexb@nospam.blurg.net> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate RTM and cannot seem to get the
>> reliability monitor to work. Each time I go to it it states it's either
>> not been running 24 hours or is corrupted and been reset.
>>
>> Can someone point me in the direction of the services I need to turn on /
>> check to get this working? I don't want to reinstall if I can help it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alex.

Rick Rogers

Re: Reliability Monitor
Hi,

Run an elevated command prompt, from the prompt run 'net start eventlog'.
What happens?

--

news1A2BE19-61A7-4FF3-9903-C2BF12C95A18@microsoft.com...
> Hi Rick,
>
> I had a look at it seems that the Performance Logs and Alerts service was
> indeed not running. However after starting it the day before yesteday, I
> looked today and it's still not working.
>
> After looking around in the services, I noticed that the Windows Event Log
> is not working either. When I go to the event viewer, I am presented with
> a particular nasty Event Log Service is unavailable error. Trying to
> start the Windows Event Log service resulted in a Error 3 : The system
> cannot find the path specified.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> alex.

>> Hi Alexander,
>>
>> From it's help files, this may contain a clue as to which dependency is
>> falling down:
>>
>> <quote>
>>
>> Windows Reliability and Performance Monitor combines the functionality of
>> previous stand-alone tools including Performance Logs and Alerts (PLA),
>> Server Performance Advisor (SPA), and System Monitor. It provides a
>> graphical interface for the customization of Data Collector Sets and
>> Event Trace Sessions.
>>
>> Windows Reliability and Performance Monitor consists of three monitoring
>> tools: Resource View, Performance Monitor, and Reliability Monitor. Data
>> collection and logging is performed using Data Collector Sets.
>>
>> <end>
>>
>> So those are the services that you need to make sure are either running,
>> or set to restart on failure.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Alexander Burton " <alexb@nospam.blurg.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate RTM and cannot seem to get the
>>> reliability monitor to work. Each time I go to it it states it's either
>>> not been running 24 hours or is corrupted and been reset.
>>>
>>> Can someone point me in the direction of the services I need to turn on
>>> / check to get this working? I don't want to reinstall if I can help it.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Alex.

Alexander Burton

Re: Reliability Monitor
Hi Rick,

Running an elevated cmd prompt by choosing it from the menu, right clicking
and selecting run as administrator gives the following output:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>net start eventlog
The Windows Event Log service is starting.
The Windows Event Log service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.

System error 3 has occurred.

C:\Windows\system32>

Not looking good is it?

Alex.

> [...]

>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi Alexander,
>>>
>>> From it's help files, this may contain a clue as to which dependency is
>>> falling down:
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>>
>>> Windows Reliability and Performance Monitor combines the functionality
>>> of previous stand-alone tools including Performance Logs and Alerts
>>> (PLA), Server Performance Advisor (SPA), and System Monitor. It provides
>>> a graphical interface for the customization of Data Collector Sets and
>>> Event Trace Sessions.
>>>
>>> Windows Reliability and Performance Monitor consists of three monitoring
>>> tools: Resource View, Performance Monitor, and Reliability Monitor. Data
>>> collection and logging is performed using Data Collector Sets.
>>>
>>> <end>
>>>
>>> So those are the services that you need to make sure are either running,

Rick Rogers

Re: Reliability Monitor
Hi Alexander,

Sounds like it is having trouble invoking a file, from that same elevated
prompt, run sfc /scannow. The file may be corrupt.

--

> Hi Rick,
>
> Running an elevated cmd prompt by choosing it from the menu, right
> clicking
> and selecting run as administrator gives the following output:
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
> Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> C:\Windows\system32>net start eventlog
> The Windows Event Log service is starting.
> The Windows Event Log service could not be started.
>
> A system error has occurred.
>
> System error 3 has occurred.
>
> The system cannot find the path specified.
>

> C:\Windows\system32>
>

> Not looking good is it?
>
> Alex.

>> Hi,
>>
>> Run an elevated command prompt, from the prompt run 'net start eventlog'.
>> What happens?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Alexander Burton " <alexb@nospam.blurg.net> wrote in message
>> news1A2BE19-61A7-4FF3-9903-C2BF12C95A18@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi Rick,
>>>
>>> I had a look at it seems that the Performance Logs and Alerts service
>>> was
>>> indeed not running. However after starting it the day before yesteday, I
>>> looked today and it's still not working.
>>>
>>> After looking around in the services, I noticed that the Windows Event
>>> Log is not working either. When I go to the event viewer, I am presented
>>> with a particular nasty Event Log Service is unavailable error. Trying
>>> to start the Windows Event Log service resulted in a Error 3 : The
>>> system
>>> cannot find the path specified.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> alex.

Alexander Burton

Re: Reliability Monitor

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 98% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Still no luck. Any other ideas or is a reinstall on the cards?

Thanks

Alex.

> Hi Alexander,
>
> Sounds like it is having trouble invoking a file, from that same elevated
> prompt, run sfc /scannow. The file may be corrupt.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Alexander Burton " <alexb@nospam.blurg.net> wrote in message
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> Running an elevated cmd prompt by choosing it from the menu, right
>> clicking
>> and selecting run as administrator gives the following output:
>>
>> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
>> Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>>
>> C:\Windows\system32>net start eventlog
>> The Windows Event Log service is starting.
>> The Windows Event Log service could not be started.
>>
>> A system error has occurred.
>>
>> System error 3 has occurred.
>>
>> The system cannot find the path specified.
>>

>> C:\Windows\system32>
>>

>> Not looking good is it?
>>
>> Alex.
>>

>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Run an elevated command prompt, from the prompt run 'net start
>>> eventlog'.
>>> What happens?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>>
>>> "Alexander Burton " <alexb@nospam.blurg.net> wrote in message
>>> news1A2BE19-61A7-4FF3-9903-C2BF12C95A18@microsoft.com...

Rick Rogers

Re: Reliability Monitor
Hi Alexander,

No, it's not looking good. I was hoping it was a corrupt file, and the file
checker would have caught that in the comparisons. Check for the existence
of the following files in the \system32 folder:

eventcls.dll
eventcreate.exe
eventviewer_eventdetails.xsl
eventvwr.exe
eventvwr.msc

--

> C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow
>
> Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
>
> Beginning verification phase of system scan.
> Verification 98% complete.
> Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
>
> Still no luck. Any other ideas or is a reinstall on the cards?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex.

>> Hi Alexander,
>>
>> Sounds like it is having trouble invoking a file, from that same elevated
>> prompt, run sfc /scannow. The file may be corrupt.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Alexander Burton " <alexb@nospam.blurg.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi Rick,
>>>
>>> Running an elevated cmd prompt by choosing it from the menu, right
>>> clicking
>>> and selecting run as administrator gives the following output:
>>>
>>> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
>>> Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>>>
>>> C:\Windows\system32>net start eventlog
>>> The Windows Event Log service is starting.
>>> The Windows Event Log service could not be started.
>>>
>>> A system error has occurred.
>>>
>>> System error 3 has occurred.
>>>
>>> The system cannot find the path specified.
>>>

>>> C:\Windows\system32>
>>>

>>> Not looking good is it?
>>>
>>> Alex.

Alexander Burton

Re: Reliability Monitor
Hi Rick,

They were all there. I bit the bullet on Christmas Eve and reinstalled. All
is working fine now.

Thanks for the assistance.

alex.