Really slow copy/move and delete, & maybe reading

turtlesoup

Really slow copy/move and delete, & maybe reading

Hi,

I'm running Vista x86 RC2 and have noticed really poor copy speeds.
When I copy files that are 100*MB *or more I can get around 40 MB/s.
That's copying from one drive to another (sata drives).

But when I copy smaller files around 100*KB* then I can only get copy
speeds of about 7 MB/s. This is about half the speed I can get in XP.
Also, when I try and delete a bunch of these 100KB or so files, it
seems to take a really long time.

Anyone know what's going on with that?

--
turtlesoup
turtlesoup's Profile: http://vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1011

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IFtNVlBd?=

RE: Really slow copy/move and delete, & maybe reading
Yes, I've see that too. The problem is worse over a LAN/WAN connection,
especially if you try and transfer large, single files (See my post on this
elsewhere in this newsgroup). I'd suggest you try a command line transfer and
see how that performs.

Stuart.
----------

"turtlesoup" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running Vista x86 RC2 and have noticed really poor copy speeds.
> When I copy files that are 100*MB *or more I can get around 40 MB/s.
> That's copying from one drive to another (sata drives).
>
> But when I copy smaller files around 100*KB* then I can only get copy
> speeds of about 7 MB/s. This is about half the speed I can get in XP.
> Also, when I try and delete a bunch of these 100KB or so files, it
> seems to take a really long time.
>
> Anyone know what's going on with that?
>

> --
> turtlesoup
> turtlesoup's Profile: http://vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1011
> View this thread: http://vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29459

CoastalData

Re: Really slow copy/move and delete, & maybe reading
Hello, I see this too, but I have *some* resolve for you...

The first thing I always do, as force of habit, is to go into my network
properties and lock my network controller to 100MB Full Duplex, but when I
did this on Vista my network performance became AWFUL!!! As you mentioned,
copying files on the network could never exceed 5-10% utilization.

So with Vista, I have to use "Auto Detect" for the network settings, and it
is much better, but still not perfect. When copying large files, I get huge
bursts of up to 90% utilization, and then usage drops all the way to zero
for a couple of seconds, and then bursts to the top again... avg.
utilization will be about 40-50%. But, at least I can work now! When I first
encountered this problem the network performance was so bad I was wondering
how long I'd be able to stick with it!

--Jon

"Stuart [MVP]" <StuartMVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes, I've see that too. The problem is worse over a LAN/WAN connection,
> especially if you try and transfer large, single files (See my post on
> this
> elsewhere in this newsgroup). I'd suggest you try a command line transfer
> and
> see how that performs.
>
> Stuart.
> ----------
>
> "turtlesoup" wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running Vista x86 RC2 and have noticed really poor copy speeds.
>> When I copy files that are 100*MB *or more I can get around 40 MB/s.
>> That's copying from one drive to another (sata drives).
>>
>> But when I copy smaller files around 100*KB* then I can only get copy
>> speeds of about 7 MB/s. This is about half the speed I can get in XP.
>> Also, when I try and delete a bunch of these 100KB or so files, it
>> seems to take a really long time.
>>
>> Anyone know what's going on with that?
>>

>> --
>> turtlesoup
>> turtlesoup's Profile: http://vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1011
>> View this thread: http://vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29459

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IFtNVlBd?=

RE: Really slow copy/move and delete, & maybe reading
It's possible these problems are related to some network gear that doesn't
support the TCP advanced window sizing enabled by default now in Vista. You
can use a NETSH command to disable this behavior and see if your transfers
work any better.

Stuart.
---------