Vista RTM - Unzipping files is INCREDIBLY slow

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9zaA==?=

Vista RTM - Unzipping files is INCREDIBLY slow
My overall Vista experience has been fantastic... but one huge issue is
performance of unzipping files... I can unzip a 15 MB file on XP in seconds,
but it takes MINUTES (like, 20+ minutes) on Vista. Any advice on how I can
speed this up? Or is it a known issue?

Thanks,
Josh

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgV3JpZ2h0?=

RE: Vista RTM - Unzipping files is INCREDIBLY slow
Have you tried WinRAR?, it works very quickly in Vista Final. A 15MB file
takes less than a few seconds to extract using it.
Jason Bailey

Re: Vista RTM - Unzipping files is INCREDIBLY slow
I'm using WinRAR as well...so far, I've been very disappointed with the
speed of trivial file operations within Vista. Sometimes, deleting a
desktop shortcut takes 10 seconds or more on a very fast machine w/ RAID0
configuration. Maybe SP1 will fix.

--Jason

"David Wright" <DavidWright@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried WinRAR?, it works very quickly in Vista Final. A 15MB file
> takes less than a few seconds to extract using it.

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IFtNVlBd?=

Re: Vista RTM - Unzipping files is INCREDIBLY slow
I'm disappointed with Vista file operations too. They are slower than those
from XP Pro. The "Calculating..." logic is useless on large file operations.
If I try to cancel a non-responsive file transfer, Explorer will abort and
take the gadgets and open programs with it.

Stuart.
-----------

"Jason Bailey" wrote:

> I'm using WinRAR as well...so far, I've been very disappointed with the
> speed of trivial file operations within Vista. Sometimes, deleting a
> desktop shortcut takes 10 seconds or more on a very fast machine w/ RAID0
> configuration. Maybe SP1 will fix.
>
> --Jason
>

> "David Wright" <DavidWright@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have you tried WinRAR?, it works very quickly in Vista Final. A 15MB file
> > takes less than a few seconds to extract using it.

Peter M

Re: Vista RTM - Unzipping files is INCREDIBLY slow
I have no problem unzipping although I use winrar just 'cause it's safer and
no worries about odd corruptions. OTOH, copy/moving very large files is
painful, very painful I must agree.

"Stuart [MVP]" <StuartMVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm disappointed with Vista file operations too. They are slower than
> those
> from XP Pro. The "Calculating..." logic is useless on large file
> operations.
> If I try to cancel a non-responsive file transfer, Explorer will abort and
> take the gadgets and open programs with it.
>
> Stuart.
> -----------
>
> "Jason Bailey" wrote:
>
>> I'm using WinRAR as well...so far, I've been very disappointed with the
>> speed of trivial file operations within Vista. Sometimes, deleting a
>> desktop shortcut takes 10 seconds or more on a very fast machine w/ RAID0
>> configuration. Maybe SP1 will fix.
>>
>> --Jason
>>

>> "David Wright" <DavidWright@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Have you tried WinRAR?, it works very quickly in Vista Final. A 15MB
>> > file
>> > takes less than a few seconds to extract using it.

Robert Moir

Stuart [MVP] wrote:
> I'm disappointed with Vista file operations too. They are slower than
> those from XP Pro. The "Calculating..." logic is useless on large
> file operations. If I try to cancel a non-responsive file transfer,
> Explorer will abort and take the gadgets and open programs with it.

I'm delighted to hear I'm not the only person seeing this.

Explorer is horribly unstable in my tests. Complex file operations are both
much slower than they were on XP and also likely to bring explorer itself
grinding to a halt. Especially bad for me are network operations, whether
moving files to/from a server or another client, speed is very erratic and
stability plumbs new depths from the already god-awful plateau it had
obtained already.

MICHAEL

"Robert Moir" <robspamtrap@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Stuart [MVP] wrote:
>> I'm disappointed with Vista file operations too. They are slower than
>> those from XP Pro. The "Calculating..." logic is useless on large
>> file operations. If I try to cancel a non-responsive file transfer,
>> Explorer will abort and take the gadgets and open programs with it.

> I'm delighted to hear I'm not the only person seeing this.
>
> Explorer is horribly unstable in my tests. Complex file operations are both much slower than
> they were on XP and also likely to bring explorer itself grinding to a halt. Especially bad
> for me are network operations, whether moving files to/from a server or another client, speed
> is very erratic and stability plumbs new depths from the already god-awful plateau it had
> obtained already.

I agree. For me, almost everything about Vista's Explorer is inferior in
performance to XP. Moving/copying files to different folders and
moving/copying files to/from a networked computer are intolerably
slow. Amazingly/ironically, using a virtual WinXP in Vista has provided
me with a semi-solution. I use the virtual XP to move files back and forth
from stuff I dump in Vista's Public folder which I have set to Share.
It is much faster/easier for me to use a *virtual* XP to move files back
and forth from other networked computers to Vista. That's almost funny.

-Michael

Ray

Re: Vista RTM - Unzipping files is INCREDIBLY slow
Are you using RTM? I'm still with RC2 and was hoping that it had been fixed
by now.
I find that program installs are getting slower by the day, I could have
sworn that when I first started with Vista that an install would start up
straight away, now it sits there thinking about it for ages.

Ray

"Robert Moir" <robspamtrap@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Stuart [MVP] wrote:
>> I'm disappointed with Vista file operations too. They are slower than
>> those from XP Pro. The "Calculating..." logic is useless on large
>> file operations. If I try to cancel a non-responsive file transfer,
>> Explorer will abort and take the gadgets and open programs with it.

> I'm delighted to hear I'm not the only person seeing this.
>
> Explorer is horribly unstable in my tests. Complex file operations are
> both much slower than they were on XP and also likely to bring explorer
> itself grinding to a halt. Especially bad for me are network operations,
> whether moving files to/from a server or another client, speed is very
> erratic and stability plumbs new depths from the already god-awful plateau
> it had obtained already.

Robert Moir

Ray wrote:
> Are you using RTM? I'm still with RC2 and was hoping that it had been
> fixed by now.
> I find that program installs are getting slower by the day, I could
> have sworn that when I first started with Vista that an install would
> start up straight away, now it sits there thinking about it for ages.

Yes, I'm still RTM. I've not noticed a big problem with installs, just file
operations in explorer.

turtlesoup

Re: Vista RTM - Unzipping files is INCREDIBLY slow

I agree the copy/move operations are horridly slow! Both disk to disk
on the same computer and across a network.

There seems to be several MS employees posting on this forum, I'd like
to see a response from one of them on this topic. Is this really what
we can expect from the final version of Vista?

--
turtlesoup
turtlesoup's Profile: http://vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1011