Is it safe to delete the backup folder?

Susan

Is it safe to delete the backup folder?
I have Vista Home Premium 32bit

On Wednesday my system would not boot so I reinstalled from the CD. Now I
have a folder on my hard drive called BACKUP. It is a complete copy of my
old installation and wasting valuable real estate. It was handy to get email
and such from but now I don't want it.

Right click and delete won't let me delete it. I assume I would be able to
delete it from the comand promt with Del *.* /s /q /u?

I thought I better ask first. Is it safe to delete that folder and all of
its contents or is Vista possibly using it for something?

Thanks,
Susan
Cal Bear '66

Re: Is it safe to delete the backup folder?
Start Orb > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Home Premium 32bit
>
> On Wednesday my system would not boot so I reinstalled from the CD. Now I
> have a folder on my hard drive called BACKUP. It is a complete copy of my
> old installation and wasting valuable real estate. It was handy to get email
> and such from but now I don't want it.
>
> Right click and delete won't let me delete it. I assume I would be able to
> delete it from the comand promt with Del *.* /s /q /u?
>
> I thought I better ask first. Is it safe to delete that folder and all of
> its contents or is Vista possibly using it for something?
>
> Thanks,
> Susan

Susan

Re: Is it safe to delete the backup folder?
Thanks Cal but that doesn't do it. I have everything checked except
Hibernation File cleaner and the folder is still there.

I also did the More Options tab and ran Clean up under System Restore and
Shadow Copies.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Start Orb > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Vista Home Premium 32bit
> >
> > On Wednesday my system would not boot so I reinstalled from the CD. Now I
> > have a folder on my hard drive called BACKUP. It is a complete copy of my
> > old installation and wasting valuable real estate. It was handy to get email
> > and such from but now I don't want it.
> >
> > Right click and delete won't let me delete it. I assume I would be able to
> > delete it from the comand promt with Del *.* /s /q /u?
> >
> > I thought I better ask first. Is it safe to delete that folder and all of
> > its contents or is Vista possibly using it for something?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Susan

Cal Bear '66

Re: Is it safe to delete the backup folder?
Have you tried using the Security tab of the folder's Properties to give your
user account ownership and full permissions?

> Thanks Cal but that doesn't do it. I have everything checked except
> Hibernation File cleaner and the folder is still there.
>
> I also did the More Options tab and ran Clean up under System Restore and
> Shadow Copies.
>

> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Start Orb > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have Vista Home Premium 32bit
>> >
>> > On Wednesday my system would not boot so I reinstalled from the CD. Now I
>> > have a folder on my hard drive called BACKUP. It is a complete copy of my
>> > old installation and wasting valuable real estate. It was handy to get
>> > email
>> > and such from but now I don't want it.
>> >
>> > Right click and delete won't let me delete it. I assume I would be able to
>> > delete it from the comand promt with Del *.* /s /q /u?
>> >
>> > I thought I better ask first. Is it safe to delete that folder and all of
>> > its contents or is Vista possibly using it for something?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Susan

Susan

Re: Is it safe to delete the backup folder?
I had but I tried again. This time I was able to delete most of the files
and get down to 7.29 gigs. Now I am left with a lot of .dll and .mui files
that wont go away.

The scary part is with two of the files it said they couldn't be deleted
because they were in use. I don't know how that could be because even
renamed the folder to Back up Trash

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Have you tried using the Security tab of the folder's Properties to give your
> user account ownership and full permissions?
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Cal but that doesn't do it. I have everything checked except
> > Hibernation File cleaner and the folder is still there.
> >
> > I also did the More Options tab and ran Clean up under System Restore and
> > Shadow Copies.
> >

> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> Start Orb > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup
> >>

> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!

Cal Bear '66

Re: Is it safe to delete the backup folder?
Strange indeed!

Any luck in Safe Mode?

>I had but I tried again. This time I was able to delete most of the files
> and get down to 7.29 gigs. Now I am left with a lot of .dll and .mui files
> that wont go away.
>
> The scary part is with two of the files it said they couldn't be deleted
> because they were in use. I don't know how that could be because even
> renamed the folder to Back up Trash
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried using the Security tab of the folder's Properties to give your
>> user account ownership and full permissions?
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Cal but that doesn't do it. I have everything checked except
>> > Hibernation File cleaner and the folder is still there.
>> >
>> > I also did the More Options tab and ran Clean up under System Restore and
>> > Shadow Copies.

Susan

Re: Is it safe to delete the backup folder?
Do you think that would be safe? I renamed the folder to Delete Me, turned
off the computer, did the dishes and turned the computer back on to try
again, it still wont delete anything else.

One of the files it wont delete because it says it is in use is BootMgr

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Strange indeed!
>
> Any luck in Safe Mode?
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had but I tried again. This time I was able to delete most of the files
> > and get down to 7.29 gigs. Now I am left with a lot of .dll and .mui files
> > that wont go away.
> >
> > The scary part is with two of the files it said they couldn't be deleted
> > because they were in use. I don't know how that could be because even
> > renamed the folder to Back up Trash
> >
> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you tried using the Security tab of the folder's Properties to give your
> >> user account ownership and full permissions?
> >>

> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!

Susan

Re: Is it safe to delete the backup folder?
I tried Safe Mode anyway and the results are exactly the same.

Full control sticks but removing read only will not stick. With command
promt I even went into the Program files folder and Windows Calendar then I
tried to delete WinCal.exe, it said access denied. I tried Attrib wincal.exe
-r and that too said Access Denied.

I just dont get it.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Strange indeed!
>
> Any luck in Safe Mode?
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had but I tried again. This time I was able to delete most of the files
> > and get down to 7.29 gigs. Now I am left with a lot of .dll and .mui files
> > that wont go away.
> >
> > The scary part is with two of the files it said they couldn't be deleted
> > because they were in use. I don't know how that could be because even
> > renamed the folder to Back up Trash
> >
> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you tried using the Security tab of the folder's Properties to give your
> >> user account ownership and full permissions?
> >>

> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!

Brian T

Re: Is it safe to delete the backup folder?
I have the same problem, Diskcleanup was no help. Even as the administrator
I'm not able to delete all the back-up files. If you find a way to do it let
me knwo.

"Susan" wrote:

> I tried Safe Mode anyway and the results are exactly the same.
>
> Full control sticks but removing read only will not stick. With command
> promt I even went into the Program files folder and Windows Calendar then I
> tried to delete WinCal.exe, it said access denied. I tried Attrib wincal.exe
> -r and that too said Access Denied.
>
> I just dont get it.
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
> > Strange indeed!
> >
> > Any luck in Safe Mode?
> >

> > I Bleed Blue and Gold
> > GO BEARS!
> >

> > "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I had but I tried again. This time I was able to delete most of the files
> > > and get down to 7.29 gigs. Now I am left with a lot of .dll and .mui files
> > > that wont go away.
> > >
> > > The scary part is with two of the files it said they couldn't be deleted
> > > because they were in use. I don't know how that could be because even
> > > renamed the folder to Back up Trash

Susan

RE: Is it safe to delete the backup folder?
Is there an MVP here that can help?