Entering BIOS during Startup

Bonz

Entering BIOS during Startup
I have Vista Premium 64 bit Home edition. I have repeatedly tried to enter
bios unsuccessfully. I've been working with computers for nearly 30 years
including all versions of MS windows. I've never seen this problem. I've
tried hitting delete just once at different times during the startup process
in an attempt to hit it at the correct time. I've tried hitting delete
continuously during the restart procedure in order to blanket the operation.
The Operating System starts no matter what I do. I've read the motherboard
documentation and it tells me to hit delete during the startup procedure and
even displays that message on-screen. Any suggestions?
Bonz

RE: Entering BIOS during Startup
I should add that the operating system seems to operate normally otherwise...
--
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

"Bonz" wrote:

> I have Vista Premium 64 bit Home edition. I have repeatedly tried to enter
> bios unsuccessfully. I've been working with computers for nearly 30 years
> including all versions of MS windows. I've never seen this problem. I've
> tried hitting delete just once at different times during the startup process
> in an attempt to hit it at the correct time. I've tried hitting delete
> continuously during the restart procedure in order to blanket the operation.
> The Operating System starts no matter what I do. I've read the motherboard
> documentation and it tells me to hit delete during the startup procedure and
> even displays that message on-screen. Any suggestions?

GTS

Re: Entering BIOS during Startup
Instead of hitting delete just once, continually tap it while starting up
and you'll probably catch the right moment. This has nothing to do with
Vista and you don't say what kind of computer it is, so if that doesn't help
I suggest you look toward info from the manufacturer.
--

"Bonz" <Bonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Premium 64 bit Home edition. I have repeatedly tried to enter
> bios unsuccessfully. I've been working with computers for nearly 30 years
> including all versions of MS windows. I've never seen this problem. I've
> tried hitting delete just once at different times during the startup
> process
> in an attempt to hit it at the correct time. I've tried hitting delete
> continuously during the restart procedure in order to blanket the
> operation.
> The Operating System starts no matter what I do. I've read the
> motherboard
> documentation and it tells me to hit delete during the startup procedure
> and
> even displays that message on-screen. Any suggestions?

Michael Walraven

Re: Entering BIOS during Startup
Some keyboards have multiple delete keys, try each.
Type of keyboard? (usb, ps/2, wireless etc)
Usually just holding down the relevant key after power on will either go to
the bios because of keyboard failure or because of enter bios command.
Michael

"Bonz" <Bonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have Vista Premium 64 bit Home edition. I have repeatedly tried to
> enter
> bios unsuccessfully. I've been working with computers for nearly 30 years
> including all versions of MS windows. I've never seen this problem. I've
> tried hitting delete just once at different times during the startup
> process
> in an attempt to hit it at the correct time. I've tried hitting delete
> continuously during the restart procedure in order to blanket the
> operation.
> The Operating System starts no matter what I do. I've read the
> motherboard
> documentation and it tells me to hit delete during the startup procedure
> and
> even displays that message on-screen. Any suggestions?

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Entering BIOS during Startup
BIOS has nothing to do with the OS in use. You need to find out if the DEL
key really is the one that you should be pressing. Some BIOS are accessed by
pressing F2..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

"Bonz" <Bonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Premium 64 bit Home edition. I have repeatedly tried to enter
> bios unsuccessfully. I've been working with computers for nearly 30 years
> including all versions of MS windows. I've never seen this problem. I've
> tried hitting delete just once at different times during the startup
> process
> in an attempt to hit it at the correct time. I've tried hitting delete
> continuously during the restart procedure in order to blanket the
> operation.
> The Operating System starts no matter what I do. I've read the
> motherboard
> documentation and it tells me to hit delete during the startup procedure
> and
> even displays that message on-screen. Any suggestions?

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Entering BIOS during Startup
On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 07:16:00 -0800, Bonz
<Bonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have Vista Premium 64 bit Home edition.

That's irrelevant. Entering the BIOS setup program has nothing to do
with Windows, or what version of it you are running. In fact you have
to do this before Windows even starts to boot.

> I have repeatedly tried to enter
> bios unsuccessfully. I've been working with computers for nearly 30 years
> including all versions of MS windows. I've never seen this problem. I've
> tried hitting delete just once at different times during the startup process
> in an attempt to hit it at the correct time.

You are probably missing the correct time to press it, perhaps
starting too late. Press it continually (tap it twice a second or so),
and start pressing it as soon as you power on.

If that fails, you apparently have a hardware issue, either with the
keyboard or the motherboard.

> I've tried hitting delete
> continuously during the restart procedure in order to blanket the operation.
> The Operating System starts no matter what I do. I've read the motherboard
> documentation and it tells me to hit delete during the startup procedure and
> even displays that message on-screen. Any suggestions?

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Ian D

Re: Entering BIOS during Startup

"Bonz" <Bonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Premium 64 bit Home edition. I have repeatedly tried to enter
> bios unsuccessfully. I've been working with computers for nearly 30 years
> including all versions of MS windows. I've never seen this problem. I've
> tried hitting delete just once at different times during the startup
> process
> in an attempt to hit it at the correct time. I've tried hitting delete
> continuously during the restart procedure in order to blanket the
> operation.
> The Operating System starts no matter what I do. I've read the
> motherboard
> documentation and it tells me to hit delete during the startup procedure
> and
> even displays that message on-screen. Any suggestions?

Is it a USB or PS2 keyboard? If it's a USB keyboard and USB
legacy devices are not enabled in BIOS, it won't see your
keyboard. In any case, if your keyboard is USB, try a PS2 one.

Rick Rogers

Re: Entering BIOS during Startup
Hi,

Using a USB keyboard? If so, try a PS/2 connection. It may be that the
motherboard is not initializing the USB board until after Windows begins to
load. The BIOS has to support a USB keyboard in order to use it for pre-OS
operations.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Bonz" <Bonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Premium 64 bit Home edition. I have repeatedly tried to enter
> bios unsuccessfully. I've been working with computers for nearly 30 years
> including all versions of MS windows. I've never seen this problem. I've
> tried hitting delete just once at different times during the startup
> process
> in an attempt to hit it at the correct time. I've tried hitting delete
> continuously during the restart procedure in order to blanket the
> operation.
> The Operating System starts no matter what I do. I've read the
> motherboard
> documentation and it tells me to hit delete during the startup procedure
> and
> even displays that message on-screen. Any suggestions?

Dave T.

Mike Hall - MVP wrote:
> BIOS has nothing to do with the OS in use. You need to find out if the
> DEL key really is the one that you should be pressing. Some BIOS are
> accessed by pressing F2..

My HP accesses BIOS by pressing F10. The Vista help file says press escape.

--
Dave T.

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time,
Because then you won't have a leg to stand on.
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Entering BIOS during Startup
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

--