Processor running slowly??

rwphilips@yahoo.com

Processor running slowly??
I'm running Ultimate 64 bit and having all sorts of weird problems.
I used CPU-Z to look at some system settings and it says the
multiplier on my AMD 64 X2 5600+ is 5 when it should be 14, so the
processor speed is showing as 1000mhz instaed of 2800mhz. My WEI score
for the processor is 5.3 so I don't know if MS uses the info from the
processor or actually runs a benchmark against it. Any ideas??

thanks, Richard
Dwarf

RE: Processor running slowly??
Hi Richard,

This is normal behaviour for AMD processors and is called 'Cool'n'Quiet'.
Basically, when under little or no load, the processor throttles back to a
low speed by reducing its multiplier which can range from 5x at its lowest
setting to 14x at its highest (depending on the processor). A lower speed
means less heat production and also lower power consumption. To check this
out, run a processor-intensive program whilst observing the results on CPU-Z.
Dwarf

"rwphilips@yahoo.com" wrote:

> I'm running Ultimate 64 bit and having all sorts of weird problems.
> I used CPU-Z to look at some system settings and it says the
> multiplier on my AMD 64 X2 5600+ is 5 when it should be 14, so the
> processor speed is showing as 1000mhz instaed of 2800mhz. My WEI score
> for the processor is 5.3 so I don't know if MS uses the info from the
> processor or actually runs a benchmark against it. Any ideas??
>
> thanks, Richard

rwphilips@yahoo.com

Re: Processor running slowly??
I was told by AMD that Cool and Quiet does not function under Vista
because Vista has its own version of it in software which I have not
been able to confirm. I have run Prime 95 and the value does NOT
change in CPU-Z for me...

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 15:00:03 -0800, Dwarf
<Dwarf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Richard,
>
>This is normal behaviour for AMD processors and is called 'Cool'n'Quiet'.
>Basically, when under little or no load, the processor throttles back to a
>low speed by reducing its multiplier which can range from 5x at its lowest
>setting to 14x at its highest (depending on the processor). A lower speed
>means less heat production and also lower power consumption. To check this
>out, run a processor-intensive program whilst observing the results on CPU-Z.
>Dwarf
>
>"rwphilips@yahoo.com" wrote:
>
>> I'm running Ultimate 64 bit and having all sorts of weird problems.
>> I used CPU-Z to look at some system settings and it says the
>> multiplier on my AMD 64 X2 5600+ is 5 when it should be 14, so the
>> processor speed is showing as 1000mhz instaed of 2800mhz. My WEI score
>> for the processor is 5.3 so I don't know if MS uses the info from the
>> processor or actually runs a benchmark against it. Any ideas??
>>
>> thanks, Richard

Michael Walraven

Re: Processor running slowly??
run 'Reliability and Performance Monitor'
the opening page has four graphs, the left one for the CPU shows percent
busy, and percent Maximum Frequency. On my Intel Core 2 dual the percent is
normally 66% Maximum Frequency as the clock is throttled down when needed
(heavy computing) the percent goes to 100 percent.

Michael
Vista Home premium, Dell XPS410