Re: Stack overflow and thumbnails

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Stack overflow and thumbnails
(cross-post added to Vista Performance & Maintenance)
"Dave P" <DaveP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Vista and have suddenly started having problems with IE.
> 1. On a number of sites with drop down menus I get the error box 'Stack
> overflow at line: 0'. I can click OK several times to get rid of the box but
> the website then does not function correctly.
> 2. On numerous websites (including 'windowshelp') my thumbnail tabs and
> links don't load correctly.

> All I get is the white box with a red cross in it.

Some Vista users are apparently having difficulty rendering certain types
of images. A supposed workaround is running IE as an administrator.

To examine this possibility give a specific example with more details.
E.g. see if you can identify an individual image file which is causing
a Red-X. Tip: it might show up listed in the Privacy Report (Alt-V,v)
or in the TIF Viewer (Alt-T,O,Alt-S,V). Otherwise use View Source
to see if you can identify a URL, extract it and see if trying to open
just that file also causes a Red-X. ProcMon is another tool which
you could use to help try to diagnose your symptom.

BTW I'm cross-posting this reply to a Vista specific newsgroup
because I don't use that OS.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> These problems seem to have occurred overnight and I can't find any
> information relating to why this would happen. I have downloaded a number of
> automatic updates recently.
>
> I have read links relating to setting the maximum size of web content but I
> don't know how to do this and am not sure that it wil solve the problem.
>
> Thank you in anticipation.

Dave P

Re: Stack overflow and thumbnails
Robert,
Thanks for the reply. I have since discovered that the Red-X files that are
failing to load are .png files. There are lots of them on this webpage, all
the tabs along the top of page, Home to Help and How to, and all those down
the left hand side, Community to User Groups. The .gif and .jpg files load
correctly. There are more .png files that fail to load on other websites,
including home.live.com. In the top left corner it used to show a graphic
relating to weather. This is a .png file and it now just shows a Red-X.

I'm not sure however, why these files, that used to work OK have suddenly
stopped loading.

I'm also still having the Stack Overflow at line: 0 fault on the following
website, amongst others.

http://www.burbankhomes.com.au/house_land.php

Thanks again.

Dave Pallister

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to Vista Performance & Maintenance)
> "Dave P" <DaveP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running Vista and have suddenly started having problems with IE.
> > 1. On a number of sites with drop down menus I get the error box 'Stack
> > overflow at line: 0'. I can click OK several times to get rid of the box but
> > the website then does not function correctly.
> > 2. On numerous websites (including 'windowshelp') my thumbnail tabs and
> > links don't load correctly.

> > All I get is the white box with a red cross in it.

> Some Vista users are apparently having difficulty rendering certain types
> of images. A supposed workaround is running IE as an administrator.
>
> To examine this possibility give a specific example with more details.
> E.g. see if you can identify an individual image file which is causing
> a Red-X. Tip: it might show up listed in the Privacy Report (Alt-V,v)
> or in the TIF Viewer (Alt-T,O,Alt-S,V). Otherwise use View Source
> to see if you can identify a URL, extract it and see if trying to open
> just that file also causes a Red-X. ProcMon is another tool which
> you could use to help try to diagnose your symptom.
>
> BTW I'm cross-posting this reply to a Vista specific newsgroup
> because I don't use that OS.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

> > These problems seem to have occurred overnight and I can't find any
> > information relating to why this would happen. I have downloaded a number of
> > automatic updates recently.
> >
> > I have read links relating to setting the maximum size of web content but I
> > don't know how to do this and am not sure that it wil solve the problem.
> >
> > Thank you in anticipation.

Dave P

Re: Stack overflow and thumbnails
Robert,
Since then I opened IE by going into the C: drive and right clicking on IE.
I selected 'Run as administrator' and it works perfectly. It gets rid of the
problem with the .png files and the Stack overflow problem.

I am confused as to why this is though. I am the only user of this computer
and it always used to run correctly when I opened IE from the quick launch
bar or the start menu. Is there anything I can do to revert back to openning
correctly from the quick launch bar and start menu?

Thanks

Dave Pallister

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to Vista Performance & Maintenance)
> "Dave P" <DaveP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running Vista and have suddenly started having problems with IE.
> > 1. On a number of sites with drop down menus I get the error box 'Stack
> > overflow at line: 0'. I can click OK several times to get rid of the box but
> > the website then does not function correctly.
> > 2. On numerous websites (including 'windowshelp') my thumbnail tabs and
> > links don't load correctly.

> > All I get is the white box with a red cross in it.

> Some Vista users are apparently having difficulty rendering certain types
> of images. A supposed workaround is running IE as an administrator.
>
> To examine this possibility give a specific example with more details.
> E.g. see if you can identify an individual image file which is causing
> a Red-X. Tip: it might show up listed in the Privacy Report (Alt-V,v)
> or in the TIF Viewer (Alt-T,O,Alt-S,V). Otherwise use View Source
> to see if you can identify a URL, extract it and see if trying to open
> just that file also causes a Red-X. ProcMon is another tool which
> you could use to help try to diagnose your symptom.
>
> BTW I'm cross-posting this reply to a Vista specific newsgroup
> because I don't use that OS.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

> > These problems seem to have occurred overnight and I can't find any
> > information relating to why this would happen. I have downloaded a number of
> > automatic updates recently.
> >
> > I have read links relating to setting the maximum size of web content but I
> > don't know how to do this and am not sure that it wil solve the problem.
> >
> > Thank you in anticipation.

Robert Aldwinckle

> Robert,
> Since then I opened IE by going into the C: drive and right clicking on IE.
> I selected 'Run as administrator' and it works perfectly. It gets rid of the
> problem with the .png files and the Stack overflow problem.
>
> I am confused as to why this is though. I am the only user of this computer
> and it always used to run correctly when I opened IE from the quick launch
> bar or the start menu. Is there anything I can do to revert back to openning
> correctly from the quick launch bar and start menu?

I think that that is the problem and the workaround that I was alluding to.
Fortunately the cross-post is still in effect so you may yet get some comment
from a knowledgeable Vista user about the issue more generally.

Ramesh has a fix apparently:

http://www.winhelponline.com/article...-Explorer.html

You can find other posts in the last month just using png and Vista
as search terms with MVP as an additional filter term:

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...t=0&scoring=d&

(sorted by date to capture current thinking)

Good luck

Robert
---