All my Vista help files are missing graphics

Paul Golding

All my Vista help files are missing graphics
As it says above I guess. Whenever I open a help file i.e. Windows Help and
Support from the Start button, I see all the text OK but all graphics in the
main window (window taskbar, menus etc are OK) like those on links and
buttons just appear as a blank space with the red X.

I'm pretty sure that this has been caused by me some weeks ago after being
told to manually delete some files from the system32 folder by a software
support person. I may have been a little to enthusiastic in the deleting of
files. Having looked at the recycle bin, there's nothing of use in there and
the old WinXP type of windows repair doesn't look like it does the same thing
with Vista.

So..............can anyone tell me what files are missing, and where I can
find them on the DVD for an easy fix.

In case it's relevant, the laptop came with XPPro, shortly followed by a
manufactures (Toshiba) Vista Business upgrade DVD.

Thanks for any suggestions

Dave

Re: All my Vista help files are missing graphics
From another poster.... I don't know if it works....

"Icons in Help are missing - This happens if the "Content Type" setting
for .PNG file types is broken. Download a REG file from Daniel Martin's
site here:

http://winvista.mvps.org/Ficheros/PNG.reg - Download and save it to
Desktop. Right-click on the file and choose Merge.

Malke"

"Paul Golding" <Paul Golding@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As it says above I guess. Whenever I open a help file i.e. Windows Help
> and
> Support from the Start button, I see all the text OK but all graphics in
> the
> main window (window taskbar, menus etc are OK) like those on links and
> buttons just appear as a blank space with the red X.
>
> I'm pretty sure that this has been caused by me some weeks ago after being
> told to manually delete some files from the system32 folder by a software
> support person. I may have been a little to enthusiastic in the deleting
> of
> files. Having looked at the recycle bin, there's nothing of use in there
> and
> the old WinXP type of windows repair doesn't look like it does the same
> thing
> with Vista.
>
> So..............can anyone tell me what files are missing, and where I can
> find them on the DVD for an easy fix.
>
> In case it's relevant, the laptop came with XPPro, shortly followed by a
> manufactures (Toshiba) Vista Business upgrade DVD.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions

Michael Walraven

Re: All my Vista help files are missing graphics
Paul,
The system should have stopped you from mucking around in the protected
files area!!
Depending on how you bypassed the system security you may be able to correct
the missing files by executing (at an elevated command prompt)
the command
sfc /scannow

Michael
Vista Home premium

"Paul Golding" <Paul Golding@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As it says above I guess. Whenever I open a help file i.e. Windows Help
> and
> Support from the Start button, I see all the text OK but all graphics in
> the
> main window (window taskbar, menus etc are OK) like those on links and
> buttons just appear as a blank space with the red X.
>
> I'm pretty sure that this has been caused by me some weeks ago after being
> told to manually delete some files from the system32 folder by a software
> support person. I may have been a little to enthusiastic in the deleting
> of
> files. Having looked at the recycle bin, there's nothing of use in there
> and
> the old WinXP type of windows repair doesn't look like it does the same
> thing
> with Vista.
>
> So..............can anyone tell me what files are missing, and where I can
> find them on the DVD for an easy fix.
>
> In case it's relevant, the laptop came with XPPro, shortly followed by a
> manufactures (Toshiba) Vista Business upgrade DVD.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions

Paul Golding

Re: All my Vista help files are missing graphics
Thanks Dave, that sorted it out and I've not found any adverse consequences
yet.

Paul

"Dave" wrote:

> From another poster.... I don't know if it works....
>
> "Icons in Help are missing - This happens if the "Content Type" setting
> for .PNG file types is broken. Download a REG file from Daniel Martin's
> site here:
>
> http://winvista.mvps.org/Ficheros/PNG.reg - Download and save it to
> Desktop. Right-click on the file and choose Merge.
>
> Malke"
>

> "Paul Golding" <Paul Golding@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > As it says above I guess. Whenever I open a help file i.e. Windows Help
> > and
> > Support from the Start button, I see all the text OK but all graphics in
> > the
> > main window (window taskbar, menus etc are OK) like those on links and
> > buttons just appear as a blank space with the red X.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure that this has been caused by me some weeks ago after being
> > told to manually delete some files from the system32 folder by a software
> > support person. I may have been a little to enthusiastic in the deleting
> > of
> > files. Having looked at the recycle bin, there's nothing of use in there
> > and
> > the old WinXP type of windows repair doesn't look like it does the same
> > thing
> > with Vista.
> >
> > So..............can anyone tell me what files are missing, and where I can
> > find them on the DVD for an easy fix.
> >
> > In case it's relevant, the laptop came with XPPro, shortly followed by a
> > manufactures (Toshiba) Vista Business upgrade DVD.
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions

Paul Golding

Re: All my Vista help files are missing graphics
I tried this and the result showed verification 99% complete, windows
resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix them. Detail
are included in the cbs.log

I found the log, but try as I might, I can't do anything with it!

Although the post above from Dave has fixed the icon issue, I'm now
wondering about the result of running sfc /scannow. The result was the same
both before and after running png.reg

Paul