Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

icons not showing up on startup

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2007
Eric
 

Posts: n/a
icons not showing up on startup
I am running Windows Vista Ultimate on my CyberpowerPC laptop. Occasionally
on startup, my battery meter, network manager and volume icons do not show up
in my task bar. I have to restart to get them to show up. What could be
causing this? It is very annoying.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2007
Eric
 

Posts: n/a
RE: icons not showing up on startup
As I can see from other posts that my only solution is to restart or logoff.
once again, thanks for a great product, Microsoft.

"Eric" wrote:

> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate on my CyberpowerPC laptop. Occasionally
> on startup, my battery meter, network manager and volume icons do not show up
> in my task bar. I have to restart to get them to show up. What could be
> causing this? It is very annoying.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: icons not showing up on startup
Hi Eric,

Have you tried stopping and restarting the explorer shell? It may be that
they are loading but not making it to the taskbar. If this is the case, it's
likely that something else in your startup routine is interfering with the
process.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CDC283EB-E329-42AC-8DF3-0220565DEEAB@microsoft.com...
> As I can see from other posts that my only solution is to restart or
> logoff.
> once again, thanks for a great product, Microsoft.
>
> "Eric" wrote:
>
>> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate on my CyberpowerPC laptop.
>> Occasionally
>> on startup, my battery meter, network manager and volume icons do not
>> show up
>> in my task bar. I have to restart to get them to show up. What could be
>> causing this? It is very annoying.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007
Eric
 

Posts: n/a
Re: icons not showing up on startup
Rick, how would I go about doing that? I don't think it is it because it has
been doing it since I got the computer, but I am up to try anything. Also,
after I restart the explorer shell, and something else is causing it, what
would I do to isolate the problem. Thanks.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Have you tried stopping and restarting the explorer shell? It may be that
> they are loading but not making it to the taskbar. If this is the case, it's
> likely that something else in your startup routine is interfering with the
> process.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:CDC283EB-E329-42AC-8DF3-0220565DEEAB@microsoft.com...
> > As I can see from other posts that my only solution is to restart or
> > logoff.
> > once again, thanks for a great product, Microsoft.
> >
> > "Eric" wrote:
> >
> >> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate on my CyberpowerPC laptop.
> >> Occasionally
> >> on startup, my battery meter, network manager and volume icons do not
> >> show up
> >> in my task bar. I have to restart to get them to show up. What could be
> >> causing this? It is very annoying.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: icons not showing up on startup
Hi Eric,

Hit ctrl+shift+escape to open task manager, then kill ("end process")
explorer.exe on the processes tab after logging on. Then go to the
applications tab and click "new task" and enter explorer.exe, click ok. This
will restart the explorer shell. If the icons show up now, it means that
something in your startup axis is interfering with them initializing.

If it is just your user account that is affected, the startup folder would
be the first place to look. If it is all accounts on this machine, then you
can use msconfig's startup tab to selective enable and disable processes
that are loading at boot to isolate which one is the cause. I would start by
disabling antivirus/antimalware applications as they tend to be a major
cause of these things. Also, the Google desktop has been shown to cause some
odd behavior, you might try uninstalling it if this applies to you.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:445095D9-6610-45A8-8092-CFB6B999F5D2@microsoft.com...
> Rick, how would I go about doing that? I don't think it is it because it
> has
> been doing it since I got the computer, but I am up to try anything.
> Also,
> after I restart the explorer shell, and something else is causing it, what
> would I do to isolate the problem. Thanks.
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> Have you tried stopping and restarting the explorer shell? It may be that
>> they are loading but not making it to the taskbar. If this is the case,
>> it's
>> likely that something else in your startup routine is interfering with
>> the
>> process.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>>
>> "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:CDC283EB-E329-42AC-8DF3-0220565DEEAB@microsoft.com...
>> > As I can see from other posts that my only solution is to restart or
>> > logoff.
>> > once again, thanks for a great product, Microsoft.
>> >
>> > "Eric" wrote:
>> >
>> >> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate on my CyberpowerPC laptop.
>> >> Occasionally
>> >> on startup, my battery meter, network manager and volume icons do not
>> >> show up
>> >> in my task bar. I have to restart to get them to show up. What could
>> >> be
>> >> causing this? It is very annoying.

>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2010
Zoid96
 

Posts: n/a
Re: icons not showing up on startup

hi there, i have vista business x32 and whenever i startup, the desktop
icons show for a second and then once everything is loaded up they
disappear. I then have to uncheck the "show desktop icons" option in the
view panel and re-enable it for them to show. Everything else seems to
be okay otherwise.


--
Zoid96
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
desktop icons covered by unknown program icons maskintoojay microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 10-24-2007 07:19
Icons not showing (need to revert to factory settings) Joshua microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 06-03-2007 20:02
ICONS NOT SHOWING =?Utf-8?B?VGluYQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 04-15-2007 14:10
showing both windows programs at startup =?Utf-8?B?ZGF3bg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 0 03-23-2007 02:41
Icons corrupted (Not Desktop Icons) Poh Tze Siang microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-01-2007 02:59




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:36.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120