wireless causing excessive hardware interrupts

dcp12345678@gmail.com

wireless causing excessive hardware interrupts
Every once in a while (like maybe once a week) I'll start getting
excessive hardware interrupts. I used process explorer (a tool from
sysinternals.com) to determine that the hardware interrupts were
indeed what was causing the CPU spike.

I'm running a Dell 1520 Inspiron Laptop, Vista Ultimate, and the PC is
about 2 months old. I used a cool program called KrView (http://
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...rf/krview.mspx) to see if I could
determine what was causing the interrupts and here is the output:

-----------------------------

Results for Kernel Mode:
-----------------------------

OutputResults: KernelModuleCount = 163
Percentage in the following table is based on the Total Hits for the
Kernel

Time 3826 hits, 25000 events per hit --------
Module Hits msec %Total Events/Sec
ntkrnlpa 2758 4847 72 %
14225293
bcmwl6 825 4847 21 %
4255209
hal 211 4847 5 %
1088302
ndis 8 4847 0 %
41262
atapi 8 4847 0 %
41262
nvlddmkm 5 4847 0 %
25789
win32k 3 4847 0 %
15473
dxgkrnl 3 4847 0 %
15473
ataport 3 4847 0 %
15473
tcpip 1 4847 0 %
5157
NETIO 1 4847 0 %
5157

================================= END OF RUN
==================================
============================== NORMAL END OF RUN
==============================

C:\Program Files\KrView\Kernrates>

As you can see from above, the bcmwl6 one appears to be excessively
eating up CPU cycles (the other one with a high percentage is the
kernel, but I'd expect that). I did some googling and found out that
this is the broadcom driver, I think. So I disabled my wireless
connection (I was on a wired connection when this happens) and guess
what? The CPU spike dropped! I have done this numerous times, and
every time I disable the wireless the CPU spikes go away and hardware
interrupts drops back to normal. So I feel pretty confident that it's
something with the wireless, but I downloaded the latest broadcom
"drivers" but the problem continues to happen. I have "drivers" in
quotes because even though I installed the software, when I go into
device manager the driver date for the broadcom 44x 10/100 Integrated
Controller didn't change.

Anyway, I'm kind of at the end of my abilities here, and I'm hoping
some of you folks might have some suggestions.

The computer is under warranty, so I went to Dell support online chat
yesterday and they are coming out to install a new wireless card. But
I'm not sure if that is going to fix it. I mean, how do I know if the
card is bad or if it's just bad drivers?

I'm really stressed out about this. Anybody experienced it?

If you need more info, just ask.

Thanks in advance.

redecs

RE: wireless causing excessive hardware interrupts
I'm having the same problem...

No ideea how to fix it... I'm having the latest drivers for my Broadcom
wireless card.