Moving Files

Holmes

Moving Files
i am currently using Vista Home Premium, and for around 5 months there have
been no problems. however i have currently discovered that moving files
between folders has become so slow that in some cases it takes around 2 hours
before the pop-up for the file transfer removes itself. i am unable to close
the screen and can only minimise it whilst i am using the computer, and
cannot turn off unless i override the system. the byte rate doesn't even show
and the file progress is virtually non existant. is there any way i can speed
up this process? . . . any one?
MICHAEL

Re: Moving Files
"Holmes" <Holmes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i am currently using Vista Home Premium, and for around 5 months there have
> been no problems. however i have currently discovered that moving files
> between folders has become so slow that in some cases it takes around 2 hours
> before the pop-up for the file transfer removes itself. i am unable to close
> the screen and can only minimise it whilst i am using the computer, and
> cannot turn off unless i override the system. the byte rate doesn't even show
> and the file progress is virtually non existant. is there any way i can speed
> up this process? . . . any one?

Try installing these two updates.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941600

-Michael

Holmes

Re: Moving Files
i have downloaded the two files and have installed them both, however the
problem still occurs. the only way i can remove the message box at the moment
is by using the task manager. is there any other way?

"MICHAEL" wrote:

> "Holmes" <Holmes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i am currently using Vista Home Premium, and for around 5 months there have
> > been no problems. however i have currently discovered that moving files
> > between folders has become so slow that in some cases it takes around 2 hours
> > before the pop-up for the file transfer removes itself. i am unable to close
> > the screen and can only minimise it whilst i am using the computer, and
> > cannot turn off unless i override the system. the byte rate doesn't even show
> > and the file progress is virtually non existant. is there any way i can speed
> > up this process? . . . any one?

> Try installing these two updates.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941600
>

> -Michael

MICHAEL

Re: Moving Files
How about this one?

More info;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979
By applying this update, you can achieve better performance and responsiveness in various
scenarios. This update also improves the reliability of Windows Vista.

When you copy or move a large file, the "estimated time remaining" takes a long time to be
calculated and displayed.

-Michael

> i have downloaded the two files and have installed them both, however the
> problem still occurs. the only way i can remove the message box at the moment
> is by using the task manager. is there any other way?
>
> "MICHAEL" wrote:
>
>> "Holmes" <Holmes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > i am currently using Vista Home Premium, and for around 5 months there have
>> > been no problems. however i have currently discovered that moving files
>> > between folders has become so slow that in some cases it takes around 2 hours
>> > before the pop-up for the file transfer removes itself. i am unable to close
>> > the screen and can only minimise it whilst i am using the computer, and
>> > cannot turn off unless i override the system. the byte rate doesn't even show
>> > and the file progress is virtually non existant. is there any way i can speed
>> > up this process? . . . any one?

>> Try installing these two updates.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941600
>>

>> -Michael

Holmes

Re: Moving Files
I have tried all of the following:
SyncToy Setup
KB938194
KB938979
KB41600
KB41649

however the problem still occurs. some of the downloads are only compatible
with the 84 bit versions, and i am currently using the 32 bit. is there
anything else you can suggest?
MICHAEL

Re: Moving Files
All those updates apply to Vista 32bit, also known as x86.

I don't use SyncToy. Have you tried uninstalling SyncToy to see
what happens?

-Michael

> I have tried all of the following:
> SyncToy Setup
> KB938194
> KB938979
> KB41600
> KB41649
>
> however the problem still occurs. some of the downloads are only compatible
> with the 84 bit versions, and i am currently using the 32 bit. is there
> anything else you can suggest?

Rabbit

Re: Moving Files
Hi. I had similar experience. Copying was okay, but then started taking a
long time to react to even deleting or renaming a single file.

Nothing changed the behavior except backup all my files (mostly on separate
drive anyway) and do a clean install. Hasn't come back to haunt me since,
and the Aug patches etc didn't help. Did the last install a month ago
(knocks on wood).