Vista restarts randomly...

Yaniv

Vista restarts randomly...
Hi, I've been using vista for a few months now and everythings been great. I
dont have an internet connection at home (so I don't see how it could be a
virus) but recently vista keeps restarting randomly its just restarts with no
warning..

I've had a look in services and things lke that but I can't see whats wrong
and I don't
think there is anything new installed that may cause any issues.

I set the option not to restart without a msg (F8) so I got the stop screen
now
and it says:
STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x829D6879, 0x97E74ADC, 0x0000000)

any ideas how to cure this problem? it's really annoying as I am a student
in the middle of exams and I need my pc.. I am using linux now until vista
works again
roy69

Re: Vista restarts randomly...

Does this happen when the computer is run in safe mode. If not try it
and it will help diagnose the problem.

Post your minidump so we can see what is happening.

Have you installed any new hardware or software that may be causing the
error?

--
roy69
Malke

Re: Vista restarts randomly...
Yaniv wrote:
> Hi, I've been using vista for a few months now and everythings been great. I
> dont have an internet connection at home (so I don't see how it could be a
> virus) but recently vista keeps restarting randomly its just restarts with no
> warning..
>
> I've had a look in services and things lke that but I can't see whats wrong
> and I don't
> think there is anything new installed that may cause any issues.
>
> I set the option not to restart without a msg (F8) so I got the stop screen
> now
> and it says:
> STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x829D6879, 0x97E74ADC, 0x0000000)
>
> any ideas how to cure this problem? it's really annoying as I am a student
> in the middle of exams and I need my pc.. I am using linux now until vista
> works again

The STOP 0x0000008E errors tend to be faulty RAM (although it certainly
could be other things). The random nature also points to hardware.
Here's a link to where you can read about that STOP error, and here's a
link that will show you how to test your RAM:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
franc

Re: Vista restarts randomly...

> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

applause,applause,applause,applause,applause,appla use,applause,applause,

franc

Yaniv

Re: Vista restarts randomly...

"Malke" wrote:

> The STOP 0x0000008E errors tend to be faulty RAM (although it certainly
> could be other things). The random nature also points to hardware.
> Here's a link to where you can read about that STOP error, and here's a
> link that will show you how to test your RAM:
>
> http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

hey Malke,

thanks for the info.. and the links they are helpful!

hmm its strange though because I installed linux from scratch on one of the
hard drives in my pc and i have been running linux with no problems at all..
all the hardware seems fine to me (I have an A+ so I think I know the basics)
so I'm not sure why it's acting up.

I think once exams are over i'll reformat the drive with windows and see how
it goes. originally the problem i noticed began with the system fonts acting
strange, then it just started restarting (no stop message) and now a stop
message.. but I have been doing the same thing for months, nothing abnormal
so it is strange.

Thanks for all the help anyway, I think I'll stick with linux until I get
some time to move files across etc etc

Malke

Re: Vista restarts randomly...
Yaniv wrote:

> hmm its strange though because I installed linux from scratch on one of the
> hard drives in my pc and i have been running linux with no problems at all..
> all the hardware seems fine to me (I have an A+ so I think I know the basics)
> so I'm not sure why it's acting up.

Well, bl**dy h*ll, why didn't you say so in the first place? We can only
give advice based on what you tell us and if you didn't tell us this
crucial piece of information - that the machine works well with a
different operating system - then you're not going to get accurate advice.

You might still want to test your RAM, although Linux is just as fussy
about RAM as XP/Vista.

Other than that, I'm not going to guess. Sure, do a clean install of
Vista and see what happens. EOT for me.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers

"roy69" wrote:

> Does this happen when the computer is run in safe mode. If not try it
> and it will help diagnose the problem.
>
> Post your minidump so we can see what is happening.
>
> Have you installed any new hardware or software that may be causing the
> error?
>

> --
> roy69

HI roy,

no when the pc is in safe mode it works fine, no restarts (however it doesnt
always go into safe mode sometimes it doesnt load for some reason it gets to
a file called crcdsk.dll something like that, then freezes)

sometimes though when i run windows normally i can watch a video for lets
say 40 mins, and then when i close it, about 10 seconds later it restarts..
otherwise if i dont run anything it just restarts on its own after a few
mins..

I'll do a clean install.

Thanks