Re: Problems downloading from Microsoft

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Problems downloading from Microsoft
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
"Roger R" <RogerR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm have problems downloading a Windows Vista update. I can't seem to get
> past the validation process and I never see the ActiveX
> bar so I can't click to install ActiveX. When I click the alternate method
> I get “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.”
>
> I get all my automatic updates but I can't get anything specific that I need.

Such as?

> I found a similar or almost exact problem on these forums but I don't under
> stand the solution.
>
> "Go to your internet connection settings and change the DNS to 202.27.184.3
> its in NZ, but that doesn't matter. All that matters is whichever DNS we're
> both using doesn't have an entry for the address that the downloads are
> hosted at. After you change the DNS run ipconfig /flushdns and everything'll
> work."
>
> If this is the right solution, how do I change the DSN

Depending on your configuration it could be simply a matter of
entering (in a cmd window):

ipconfig /registerdns

but you should enter

ipconfig /all

to see what you have now. E.g. if it is a local address you might
have to make a change of DNS address in a network device.
More specifically if you have your modem acting as a router or firewall
its control panel might be where the real DNS addresses would need
to be changed. Etc.

> and how do I run
> ipconfig /flushdns. If I use run and type ipconfig, a window flash up so
> quickly and disappears before I can read it.

You enter it in the command line of a cmd window.
E.g. in XP you would start a Command Prompt from your Start menu
or Run... (press Win-R and enter cmd.exe

It sounds as if your symptoms are not necessarily being caused by
a DNS issue but you would have to provide more detail about them
for anyone to know for sure. So please try and give us a detailed
description of what you are doing and what you are seeing.
Remember, your words have to substitute for what our eyes might notice.

BTW this really is more a matter of your OS than of IE.
I don't use your OS so I'm cross-posting to a Vista NG.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Ryan

Re: Problems downloading from Microsoft
I determined the only thing it could be was my Gateway from Comcast. Cheked
all the setting within the gateway and found nothing wrong so i changed it
out to a regular modem and my problem was gone. I have now added my own
router and everthing works good now.
--
Problems with downloading