Start menu shortcuts won't work

Betty

Start menu shortcuts won't work
Hi there I hope someone here can help me. I have already dont 2 total
reinstalls for this smae problem but it keeps happening. My Menu>programs
aorks fine but whenever |I try to click to open one of those programs e.g
word, psp or even defrag , none of them do anything. the only thing that
happens is i end up back on the bare desktop with nothing to show for the
clicking. If i choose to go the route of C/: and look for the programm
itself then everything i look for will open but i have tried getting rid of
the shortcuts and doing a send to desktop on the actual programs and still
they won't work on the start menu. What in god's name have I dont to my
computer that it hates me this much. My last total reinstall was only 3 weeks
ago. Please someone HELP!!!!! before i go out of my mind
Betty
Rick Rogers

Re: Start menu shortcuts won't work
Hi Betty,

How long after reinstalling did this problem restart? What software was
installed prior to it happening? Something is affecting the .lnk file
associations, and while it probably can be fixed (without reinstalling), you
need to prevent recurrence by identifying the source of the problem.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Betty" <Betty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there I hope someone here can help me. I have already dont 2 total
> reinstalls for this smae problem but it keeps happening. My Menu>programs
> aorks fine but whenever |I try to click to open one of those programs e.g
> word, psp or even defrag , none of them do anything. the only thing that
> happens is i end up back on the bare desktop with nothing to show for the
> clicking. If i choose to go the route of C/: and look for the programm
> itself then everything i look for will open but i have tried getting rid
> of
> the shortcuts and doing a send to desktop on the actual programs and still
> they won't work on the start menu. What in god's name have I dont to my
> computer that it hates me this much. My last total reinstall was only 3
> weeks
> ago. Please someone HELP!!!!! before i go out of my mind
> Betty

louie

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Betty,
>
> How long after reinstalling did this problem restart? What software was
> installed prior to it happening? Something is affecting the .lnk file
> associations, and while it probably can be fixed (without reinstalling), you
> need to prevent recurrence by identifying the source of the problem.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Betty" <Betty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there I hope someone here can help me. I have already dont 2 total
> > reinstalls for this smae problem but it keeps happening. My Menu>programs
> > aorks fine but whenever |I try to click to open one of those programs e.g
> > word, psp or even defrag , none of them do anything. the only thing that
> > happens is i end up back on the bare desktop with nothing to show for the
> > clicking. If i choose to go the route of C/: and look for the programm
> > itself then everything i look for will open but i have tried getting rid
> > of
> > the shortcuts and doing a send to desktop on the actual programs and still
> > they won't work on the start menu. What in god's name have I dont to my
> > computer that it hates me this much. My last total reinstall was only 3
> > weeks
> > ago. Please someone HELP!!!!! before i go out of my mind
> > Betty

brink

Betty;506253 Wrote:
> Hi there I hope someone here can help me. I have already dont 2 total
> reinstalls for this smae problem but it keeps happening. My
> Menu>programs
> aorks fine but whenever |I try to click to open one of those programs
> e.g
> word, psp or even defrag , none of them do anything. the only thing
> that
> happens is i end up back on the bare desktop with nothing to show for
> the
> clicking. If i choose to go the route of C/: and look for the programm
> itself then everything i look for will open but i have tried getting
> rid of
> the shortcuts and doing a send to desktop on the actual programs and
> still
> they won't work on the start menu. What in god's name have I dont to my
> computer that it hates me this much. My last total reinstall was only 3
> weeks
> ago. Please someone HELP!!!!! before i go out of my mind
> Betty

Hi Betty,

In addition to Rick Rogers statement, you might try going to this link
for a possible solution. Click on the "lnk" in the box to download the
"inkfix_vista.zip" file. Follow the rest of the Usage instructions at
the site. This will fix the lnk (shortcut) association.

'File association fixes for Windows Vista'
(http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/)

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Betty

Re: Start menu shortcuts won't work
thank you Brink for that link it seems to have done the job nicely.
and to Rick Rogers I have no idea what keeps causing this unless it has to
do with paintshop pro X, X1 and X2 being on the same machine and sharing the
same folders for the plugins ect. The last program i put on was Photoshop CS3
and that was over a week before. I willl certainly keep my eyes ope to see if
I can find out what causes it but i thank you all for your help and I have
bookmarked the link that Brink gave me in case i need it again.
Betty

"brink" wrote:

> Betty;506253 Wrote:
> > Hi there I hope someone here can help me. I have already dont 2 total
> > reinstalls for this smae problem but it keeps happening. My
> > Menu>programs
> > aorks fine but whenever |I try to click to open one of those programs
> > e.g
> > word, psp or even defrag , none of them do anything. the only thing
> > that
> > happens is i end up back on the bare desktop with nothing to show for
> > the
> > clicking. If i choose to go the route of C/: and look for the programm
> > itself then everything i look for will open but i have tried getting
> > rid of
> > the shortcuts and doing a send to desktop on the actual programs and
> > still
> > they won't work on the start menu. What in god's name have I dont to my
> > computer that it hates me this much. My last total reinstall was only 3
> > weeks
> > ago. Please someone HELP!!!!! before i go out of my mind
> > Betty

> Hi Betty,
>
> In addition to Rick Rogers statement, you might try going to this link
> for a possible solution. Click on the "lnk" in the box to download the
> "inkfix_vista.zip" file. Follow the rest of the Usage instructions at
> the site. This will fix the lnk (shortcut) association.
>
> 'File association fixes for Windows Vista'
> (http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/)
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")

brink

Betty;508538 Wrote:
> thank you Brink for that link it seems to have done the job nicely.
> and to Rick Rogers I have no idea what keeps causing this unless it has
> do with paintshop pro X, X1 and X2 being on the same machine and
> sharing the
> same folders for the plugins ect. The last program i put on was
> Photoshop CS3
> and that was over a week before. I willl certainly keep my eyes ope to
> see if
> I can find out what causes it but i thank you all for your help and I
> have
> bookmarked the link that Brink gave me in case i need it again.
> Betty
> ------------------------------
> "brink" wrote:
> Hi Betty,
> >
> > In addition to Rick Rogers statement, you might try going to this

> link
> > for a possible solution. Click on the "lnk" in the box to download

> the
> > "inkfix_vista.zip" file. Follow the rest of the Usage instructions at
> > the site. This will fix the lnk (shortcut) association.
> >
> > 'File association fixes for Windows Vista'
> > ('http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/'

> (http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/))
> >
> > Shawn

Your welcome Betty.

Glad to hear it fixed your problem. This is sometimes caused when
using a program made for XP instead of Vista when changing the shortcut
arrow overlay. Hope that may help in finding the cause.

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Betty

Re: Start menu shortcuts won't work
Thank you shawn that tells me exactly what caused the problem as i did in
fact get rid of the shortcut arrow just before it happened.

Betty