AVI's used to show up now they wont

CIHB

AVI's used to show up now they wont
Hi, I'm trying to figure out why my AVI's wont show up in Windows media
player 11, they used to play, but now they wont! It's driving me insane
trying to figure it out, can I please get some help?
dzomlija

Re: AVI's used to show up now they wont

CIHB;506053 Wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to figure out why my AVI's wont show up in Windows media
> player 11, they used to play, but now they wont! It's driving me insane
> trying to figure it out, can I please get some help?

The most obvious question would be have they been deleted using Windows
Explorer or some other third party utility? Deleting a music/video file
in Explorer won't necessarily show up as deleted in Media Player.

The second thing to check would be your Codecs. Bad Codecs can lead to
files nots playing in Media Player. You can download either Vista 32 Bit
or 64 Bit codecs here: 'Vista Codec Package Homepage'
(http://shark007.testbox.dk/)

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007
CIHB

Re: AVI's used to show up now they wont
i know that it can't be the codecs' , the audio plays but the picture is black

"dzomlija" wrote:

> CIHB;506053 Wrote:
> > Hi, I'm trying to figure out why my AVI's wont show up in Windows media
> > player 11, they used to play, but now they wont! It's driving me insane
> > trying to figure it out, can I please get some help?

> The most obvious question would be have they been deleted using Windows
> Explorer or some other third party utility? Deleting a music/video file
> in Explorer won't necessarily show up as deleted in Media Player.
>
> The second thing to check would be your Codecs. Bad Codecs can lead to
> files nots playing in Media Player. You can download either Vista 32 Bit
> or 64 Bit codecs here: 'Vista Codec Package Homepage'
> (http://shark007.testbox.dk/)
>

> --
> dzomlija
>
> ____________________________________
> Peter Alexander Dzomlija
> Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
> you die, so shall I be Reborn...
>
> - ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
> - AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
> - 4GB DDR400
> - ASUS nVidia 6600
> - Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
> - 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
> - Vista Ultimate x64
> - CodeGear Delphi 2007

Cal Bear '66

Re: AVI's used to show up now they wont
This (audio but no video) with the DivX codec missing. Go to divx.com and
download the latest DivX codec.

AVOID codec packs like the plague -- they can do serious damage to your Windows
Movie Maker, Windows DVD Maker and Windows Media Player and are a frequent
vehicle for malware. They can cause very serious problems that are VERY hard to
diagnose and correct. ONLY download single needed codecs and ONLY download and
install codecs from the codec manufacturer.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"CIHB" <CIHB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i know that it can't be the codecs' , the audio plays but the picture is black
>
> "dzomlija" wrote:
>

>> CIHB;506053 Wrote:
>> > Hi, I'm trying to figure out why my AVI's wont show up in Windows media
>> > player 11, they used to play, but now they wont! It's driving me insane
>> > trying to figure it out, can I please get some help?

>> The most obvious question would be have they been deleted using Windows
>> Explorer or some other third party utility? Deleting a music/video file
>> in Explorer won't necessarily show up as deleted in Media Player.
>>
>> The second thing to check would be your Codecs. Bad Codecs can lead to
>> files nots playing in Media Player. You can download either Vista 32 Bit
>> or 64 Bit codecs here: 'Vista Codec Package Homepage'
>> (http://shark007.testbox.dk/)
>>

>> --
>> dzomlija
>>
>> ____________________________________
>> Peter Alexander Dzomlija
>> Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
>> you die, so shall I be Reborn...
>>
>> - ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
>> - AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
>> - 4GB DDR400
>> - ASUS nVidia 6600
>> - Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
>> - 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
>> - Vista Ultimate x64
>> - CodeGear Delphi 2007

CIHB

Re: AVI's used to show up now they wont
I already have that, I've had that for a while. It won't show there either. I
had downloaded some Adobe flash player for web video's like Youtube, that
brought it up fore a while in windows media 11 but then it just stopped.

Cal Bear '66;506795 Wrote:
> This (audio but no video) with the DivX codec missing. Go to divx.com
> and download the latest DivX codec.

Yeah, right, if you want to play videos properly AND have several
crashes thrown in to seal the deal. DivX doesn't care much about Windows
Vista, and they don't seem all too keen on optimizing their CODEC for
either Vista 32 or Vista x64. They can't even decide which version is
compatible with Vista.

Version 5 that I was using on XP installed and worked on Vista. Version
6 gives a "This program is incompatible with this version of Windows"
error. DivX released a patch to make it work.

Then, when the 6.6 version was released, it again didn't work.
Now, the new DivX 6.7 suddenly works again?

And to make matters even worse, they still do not support a pure Vista
x64 codec, which means I can't watch DivX movies in Windows Media Player
11 x64. And their codec doesn't support Media Center either.

Cal Bear '66;506795 Wrote:
> AVOID codec packs like the plague -- they can do serious damage to your
> Windows Movie Maker, Windows DVD Maker and Windows Media Player and are
> a frequent vehicle for malware. They can cause very serious problems
> that are VERY hard to diagnose and correct. ONLY download single needed
> codecs and ONLY download and install codecs from the codec manufacturer.

The x64 codec pack I use supports all legacy and modern video formats
from MPG to DivX to HD. It's proven stable for me since even during the
BETA phase when Vista was still under developments.

I would not have recommended it otherwise. (I don't use Vista 32-Bit,
so I cannot guage the performance/stability of the 32-Bit version of the
codec pack I'm currently using)

And as far as Codec Packs being a vehicle for malware, maybe you're
just using the wrong pack and you have made the value judgement that
because one codec pack has given you a problem, they must all be rubbish
or virus infected.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________

- CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/

CIHB;506794 Wrote:
> i know that it can't be the codecs' , the audio plays but the picture is
> black

If you get Audio, but no Video, then the problem can be nothing else
other than the codecs.

Even though I don't like him, Cal Bear was right about needing to
download DivX. You need to decide for yourself which is better for you,
DivX (works for Cal, crashes for me) or the Vista Codec Pack I
recommended earlier (works for me, rubbish for Cal).

Either way, your problem is with codecs.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/
CIHB

Re: AVI's used to show up now they wont
maybe i'll try that, do you have a link for that. I have wmp11 i tried to
find it already

"dzomlija" wrote:

> CIHB;506794 Wrote:
> > i know that it can't be the codecs' , the audio plays but the picture is
> > black

> If you get Audio, but no Video, then the problem can be nothing else
> other than the codecs.
>
> Even though I don't like him, Cal Bear was right about needing to
> download DivX. You need to decide for yourself which is better for you,
> DivX (works for Cal, crashes for me) or the Vista Codec Pack I
> recommended earlier (works for me, rubbish for Cal).
>
> Either way, your problem is with codecs.
>

> --
> dzomlija
>
> ____________________________________
> Peter Alexander Dzomlija
> Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
> you die, so shall I be Reborn...
>
> - ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
> - AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
> - 4GB DDR400
> - ASUS nVidia 6600
> - Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
> - 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
> - Vista Ultimate x64
> - CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/

Cal Bear '66

Re: AVI's used to show up now they wont
If you had even bothered to read my post and understand it, you would know that
I would not be so foolish to install ANY codec pack. If I have a problem with a
video clip, I use GSpot to analyze the clip and download the codec if needed.

The DivX codec works fine for me in both Vista Ultimate x86 and the 32-bit
Windows Media Player in Vista Business x64. I have NEVER had a single crash
when viewing a video clip that used the divx.com DivX codec -- NOT A SINGLE
CRASH.

If you could take your head out of your ass and read the NUMEROUS problems
posted by the MANY users that have installed codec pack, you might be in a
position to make such a recommendation.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"dzomlija" <dzomlija.2zq3g4@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Cal Bear '66;506795 Wrote:
>> This (audio but no video) with the DivX codec missing. Go to divx.com
>> and download the latest DivX codec.
>>

> Yeah, right, if you want to play videos properly AND have several
> crashes thrown in to seal the deal. DivX doesn't care much about Windows
> Vista, and they don't seem all too keen on optimizing their CODEC for
> either Vista 32 or Vista x64. They can't even decide which version is
> compatible with Vista.
>
> Version 5 that I was using on XP installed and worked on Vista. Version
> 6 gives a "This program is incompatible with this version of Windows"
> error. DivX released a patch to make it work.
>
> Then, when the 6.6 version was released, it again didn't work.
> Now, the new DivX 6.7 suddenly works again?
>
> And to make matters even worse, they still do not support a pure Vista
> x64 codec, which means I can't watch DivX movies in Windows Media Player
> 11 x64. And their codec doesn't support Media Center either.
>
> Cal Bear '66;506795 Wrote:
>> AVOID codec packs like the plague -- they can do serious damage to your
>> Windows Movie Maker, Windows DVD Maker and Windows Media Player and are
>> a frequent vehicle for malware. They can cause very serious problems
>> that are VERY hard to diagnose and correct. ONLY download single needed
>> codecs and ONLY download and install codecs from the codec manufacturer.
>>

> The x64 codec pack I use supports all legacy and modern video formats
> from MPG to DivX to HD. It's proven stable for me since even during the
> BETA phase when Vista was still under developments.
>
> I would not have recommended it otherwise. (I don't use Vista 32-Bit,
> so I cannot guage the performance/stability of the 32-Bit version of the
> codec pack I'm currently using)
>
> And as far as Codec Packs being a vehicle for malware, maybe you're
> just using the wrong pack and you have made the value judgement that
> because one codec pack has given you a problem, they must all be rubbish
> or virus infected.
>

> --
> dzomlija
>
> ____________________________________
> Peter Alexander Dzomlija
> Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
> you die, so shall I be Reborn...
>
> - ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
> - AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
> - 4GB DDR400
> - ASUS nVidia 6600
> - Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
> - 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
> - Vista Ultimate x64
> - CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/

Cal Bear '66