Does Vista registry ever need any 3rd party 'cleaner software?'

captfbgnet

Does Vista registry ever need any 3rd party 'cleaner software?'
A lot of registry cleaners are out there claiming a lot of things. In
Windows 98 and in XP they probably helped a lot to optimize and compact the
registry. Do we know or have enough information yet about how or if Vista
handles it's own registry efficiency, and perhaps, not requiring any
additional 3rd party help? PCWorld touts some effective cleaners etc, but I
couldn't find much 'on point' in the windows knowledgebase. I always crossed
my fingers when I used one in '98 and XP even though I had backed up the
registry. Thanks for any information.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, but rather spiritualbeings having a human experience."
David

Re: Does Vista registry ever need any 3rd party 'cleaner software?'
try Auslogics.
Rick Rogers

Re: Does Vista registry ever need any 3rd party 'cleaner software?'
Do not use a general registry cleaner in Vista.

Unless of course you like having to reinstall everything from scratch.

The use of a program specific cleaner that removes entries pertaining to a
particular issue is fine, and these are usually distributed for free from
the software vendor. General cleaners often misidentify entries as dead and
remove them when in fact they are needed for normal operations. As Vista,
like XP, does not suffer from registry bloat, a general cleaner does nothing
for you, but it does line the pockets of the program vendors.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"captfbgnet" <captfbgnet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>A lot of registry cleaners are out there claiming a lot of things. In
>Windows 98 and in XP they probably helped a lot to optimize and compact the
>registry. Do we know or have enough information yet about how or if Vista
>handles it's own registry efficiency, and perhaps, not requiring any
>additional 3rd party help? PCWorld touts some effective cleaners etc, but I
>couldn't find much 'on point' in the windows knowledgebase. I always
>crossed my fingers when I used one in '98 and XP even though I had backed
>up the registry. Thanks for any information.
>

> __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________"We
> are not human beings having a spiritual experience, but rather
> spiritualbeings having a human experience."

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Does Vista registry ever need any 3rd party 'cleaner software?'
You will probably be better off without them.
They rarely provide any noticeable benefit but incorrect use can
damage Windows.

If you decide to use them anyways, make sure you are thoroughly
familiar with the tool including on how the features for restoring
information that should not have been deleted.
If you can not positively determine the exact use of something, do not
let the tool delete or modify it.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"captfbgnet" <captfbgnet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>A lot of registry cleaners are out there claiming a lot of things. In
>Windows 98 and in XP they probably helped a lot to optimize and
>compact the registry. Do we know or have enough information yet about
>how or if Vista handles it's own registry efficiency, and perhaps,
>not requiring any additional 3rd party help? PCWorld touts some
>effective cleaners etc, but I couldn't find much 'on point' in the
>windows knowledgebase. I always crossed my fingers when I used one in
>'98 and XP even though I had backed up the registry. Thanks for any
>information.
>

> __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________"We
> are not human beings having a spiritual experience, but rather
> spiritualbeings having a human experience."

Kevin Weaver

> Do not use a general registry cleaner in Vista.
>
> Unless of course you like having to reinstall everything from scratch.
>
> The use of a program specific cleaner that removes entries pertaining to a
> particular issue is fine, and these are usually distributed for free from
> the software vendor. General cleaners often misidentify entries as dead
> and remove them when in fact they are needed for normal operations. As
> Vista, like XP, does not suffer from registry bloat, a general cleaner
> does nothing for you, but it does line the pockets of the program vendors.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "captfbgnet" <captfbgnet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>A lot of registry cleaners are out there claiming a lot of things. In
>>Windows 98 and in XP they probably helped a lot to optimize and compact
>>the registry. Do we know or have enough information yet about how or if
>>Vista handles it's own registry efficiency, and perhaps, not requiring any
>>additional 3rd party help? PCWorld touts some effective cleaners etc, but
>>I couldn't find much 'on point' in the windows knowledgebase. I always
>>crossed my fingers when I used one in '98 and XP even though I had backed
>>up the registry. Thanks for any information.
>>

>> __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________"We
>> are not human beings having a spiritual experience, but rather
>> spiritualbeings having a human experience."

Tell that to Microsoft then.

Rick Rogers

Re: Does Vista registry ever need any 3rd party 'cleaner software?'
I have.

--

"Kevin Weaver" <kevinkeithweaver@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:dP8Yi.19045$lD6.5417@newssvr27.news.prodigy.n et...
>> Do not use a general registry cleaner in Vista.
>>
>> Unless of course you like having to reinstall everything from scratch.
>>
>> The use of a program specific cleaner that removes entries pertaining to
>> a particular issue is fine, and these are usually distributed for free
>> from the software vendor. General cleaners often misidentify entries as
>> dead and remove them when in fact they are needed for normal operations.
>> As Vista, like XP, does not suffer from registry bloat, a general cleaner
>> does nothing for you, but it does line the pockets of the program
>> vendors.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "captfbgnet" <captfbgnet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>A lot of registry cleaners are out there claiming a lot of things. In
>>>Windows 98 and in XP they probably helped a lot to optimize and compact
>>>the registry. Do we know or have enough information yet about how or if
>>>Vista handles it's own registry efficiency, and perhaps, not requiring
>>>any additional 3rd party help? PCWorld touts some effective cleaners etc,
>>>but I couldn't find much 'on point' in the windows knowledgebase. I
>>>always crossed my fingers when I used one in '98 and XP even though I had
>>>backed up the registry. Thanks for any information.
>>>

>>> __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________"We
>>> are not human beings having a spiritual experience, but rather
>>> spiritualbeings having a human experience."

> Tell that to Microsoft then.

anandk

Re: Does Vista registry ever need any 3rd party 'cleaner software?
Even I am of the opinion that for Vista you dont really need a Registry
Cleaner. However if you are in the habit of installing/uninstalling/trying a
lot of software, then I'd suggest you use freeware CCleaner, which i have
found to be safe.
--
http://www.WinVistaClub.com

captfbgnet

Re: Does Vista registry ever need any 3rd party 'cleaner software?'
Thanks to everyone who replied. As always your combined answers and, in this
case all pointed to the same conclusion, were extremely helpful. I'm 'outta
here' with any registry cleaners.

"captbgnet" <captfbgnet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>A lot of registry cleaners are out there claiming a lot of things. In
>Windows 98 and in XP they probably helped a lot to optimize and compact the
>registry. Do we know or have enough information yet about how or if Vista
>handles it's own registry efficiency, and perhaps, not requiring any
>additional 3rd party help? PCWorld touts some effective cleaners etc, but I
>couldn't find much 'on point' in the windows knowledgebase. I always
>crossed my fingers when I used one in '98 and XP even though I had backed
>up the registry. Thanks for any information.
>

> __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________"We
> are not human beings having a spiritual experience, but rather
> spiritualbeings having a human experience."

Bruce Chambers

captfbgnet wrote:
> A lot of registry cleaners are out there claiming a lot of things. In
> Windows 98 and in XP they probably helped a lot to optimize and compact
> the registry.

No, they were nothing but snake oil, even then.

> Do we know or have enough information yet about how or if
> Vista handles it's own registry efficiency, and perhaps, not requiring
> any additional 3rd party help? PCWorld touts some effective cleaners
> etc, but I couldn't find much 'on point' in the windows knowledgebase. I
> always crossed my fingers when I used one in '98 and XP even though I
> had backed up the registry. Thanks for any information.

Why do you think you'd ever need to clean your registry? What
specific *problems* are you actually experiencing (not some program's
bogus listing of imaginary problems) that you think can be fixed by
using a registry "cleaner?"

If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would
be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the
specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. After
all, why use a chainsaw when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally,
the manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely
to have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
multiple changes simultaneously. The only thing needed to safely clean
your registry is knowledge and Regedit.exe.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change.

Having repeatedly seen the results of inexperienced people using
automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user. If you lack the knowledge and experience to
maintain your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
no matter how safe they claim to be.

More importantly, no one has ever demonstrated that the use of an
automated registry "cleaner," particularly by an untrained,
inexperienced computer user, does any real good, whatsoever. There's
certainly been no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use
of such products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's
performance or stability. Given the potential for harm, it's just not
worth the risk.

Granted, most registry "cleaners" won't cause problems each and
every time they're used, but the potential for harm is always there.
And, since no registry "cleaner" has ever been demonstrated to do any
good (think of them like treating the flu with chicken soup - there's no
real medicinal value, but it sometimes provides a warming placebo
effect), I always tell people that the risks far out-weigh the
non-existent benefits.

I will concede that a good registry *scanning* tool, in the hands
of an experienced and knowledgeable technician or hobbyist can be a
useful time-saving diagnostic tool, as long as it's not allowed to make
any changes automatically. But I really don't think that there are any
registry "cleaners" that are truly safe for the general public to use.
Experience has proven just the opposite: such tools simply are not safe
in the hands of the inexperienced user.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: