system restore

tanyacrouch

system restore
Im using windows vista and i need to restore my computer. when i try to do
the system restore it doesnt go back far enough. the options i get are all
recent restore points. any one know how i can actually create my own restore
point going back several months?
Malke

Re: system restore
tanyacrouch wrote:
> Im using windows vista and i need to restore my computer. when i try to do
> the system restore it doesnt go back far enough. the options i get are all
> recent restore points. any one know how i can actually create my own restore
> point going back several months?

System Restore really isn't designed for this purpose. You will get best
results with System Restore going back only a few days, maybe a week at
most.

A better solution for you in the future (and I realize it doesn't help
your issue right now) is to purchase an external hard drive and an
imaging program such as Acronis True Image. You can make an image of
your entire system (when it is working perfectly and is just the way you
want it!) and store it on the external hard drive in case you need to
restore. True Image also does incremental backups.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: system restore
It can not be done.
If the Restore Points are not there, they can not be used or
recovered.
System Restore is intended to resolve recent issues and not those
going far back.

I suggest you start a new thread and post specifics of your issues so
someone can help.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"tanyacrouch" <tanyacrouch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im using windows vista and i need to restore my computer. when i try
> to do
> the system restore it doesnt go back far enough. the options i get
> are all
> recent restore points. any one know how i can actually create my own
> restore
> point going back several months?

franc

Re: system restore

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:efQirGNIIHA.5684@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> tanyacrouch wrote:
> > Im using windows vista and i need to restore my computer. when i try to do
> > the system restore it doesnt go back far enough. the options i get are all
> > recent restore points. any one know how i can actually create my own restore
> > point going back several months?

> System Restore really isn't designed for this purpose. You will get best
> results with System Restore going back only a few days, maybe a week at
> most.
>
> A better solution for you in the future (and I realize it doesn't help
> your issue right now) is to purchase an external hard drive and an
> imaging program such as Acronis True Image. You can make an image of
> your entire system (when it is working perfectly and is just the way you
> want it!) and store it on the external hard drive in case you need to
> restore. True Image also does incremental backups.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke,

The following questions may seem really basic, but my computer knowledge
is about a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10.

I would like to back up my windows 98SE which I've been using for a long
time without any backup..

Would you be kind enough to let me know if it's possible using your
system above.

And if it is, would you please recommend an external drive that would
load about 10 GB.

Then, if I purchased the Acronis True Image program, would I need
anything else?

Now, say I copied my hard drive to the external drive and my computer
hard drive or something else goes bad.

What do I do with the external drive?

Thanks ver much...

frank

Malke

Re: system restore
franc wrote:

> Malke,
>
> The following questions may seem really basic, but my computer knowledge
> is about a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10.
>
> I would like to back up my windows 98SE which I've been using for a long
> time without any backup..
>
> Would you be kind enough to let me know if it's possible using your
> system above.
>
> And if it is, would you please recommend an external drive that would
> load about 10 GB.
>
> Then, if I purchased the Acronis True Image program, would I need
> anything else?
>
> Now, say I copied my hard drive to the external drive and my computer
> hard drive or something else goes bad.
>
> What do I do with the external drive?

You can purchase an external drive that already comes in an enclosure
such as Western Digital's MyBook or Maxtor's OneTouch. You won't find
any external hard drives as small as 10GB - they usually start at 200GB
and go up from there. Or you can purchase a hard drive enclosure and put
any IDE hard drive inside.

You may need to install True Image on a Windows XP or Vista machine - I
don't know if it is supported on Win98 any more. Once you have the
program installed, you create a bootable CD and use that to boot the
target computer with the external hard drive attached. The image is
created outside of the operating system.

However, Windows 98 is so old that I don't know if your computer will
support seeing the USB external hard drive attached outside of the
operating system. I'm not saying it won't; I'm saying I don't know and
my Win98 machine went to that Big Silicon Heaven a long time ago. A
better solution for you might be to use a hard drive enclosure with a
smallish (40-60GB) hard drive inside which you format FAT32. Attach that
to your Windows 98 machine and back up your data.

Someone else will need to answer your questions about whether True Image
(or Norton Ghost) will work with Win98. Or you could just go to the
products' respective websites and find the answer.

If none of that works (you might not even have a CD burner for all I
know - lots of old Win98 machines didn't), pull the drive and slave it
in a Windows XP/Vista machine and pull the data off that way.

You might want to post further questions about this subject in a Win98
newsgroup since this one is for Vista.

Malke

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:ehNERVOIIHA.6068@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> franc wrote:
>
> > Malke,
> >
> > The following questions may seem really basic, but my computer knowledge
> > is about a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10.
> >
> > I would like to back up my windows 98SE which I've been using for a long
> > time without any backup..
> >
> > Would you be kind enough to let me know if it's possible using your
> > system above.
> >
> > And if it is, would you please recommend an external drive that would
> > load about 10 GB.
> >
> > Then, if I purchased the Acronis True Image program, would I need
> > anything else?
> >
> > Now, say I copied my hard drive to the external drive and my computer
> > hard drive or something else goes bad.
> >
> > What do I do with the external drive?

> You can purchase an external drive that already comes in an enclosure
> such as Western Digital's MyBook or Maxtor's OneTouch. You won't find
> any external hard drives as small as 10GB - they usually start at 200GB
> and go up from there. Or you can purchase a hard drive enclosure and put
> any IDE hard drive inside.
>
> You may need to install True Image on a Windows XP or Vista machine - I
> don't know if it is supported on Win98 any more. Once you have the
> program installed, you create a bootable CD and use that to boot the
> target computer with the external hard drive attached. The image is
> created outside of the operating system.
>
> However, Windows 98 is so old that I don't know if your computer will
> support seeing the USB external hard drive attached outside of the
> operating system. I'm not saying it won't; I'm saying I don't know and
> my Win98 machine went to that Big Silicon Heaven a long time ago. A
> better solution for you might be to use a hard drive enclosure with a
> smallish (40-60GB) hard drive inside which you format FAT32. Attach that
> to your Windows 98 machine and back up your data.
>
> Someone else will need to answer your questions about whether True Image
> (or Norton Ghost) will work with Win98. Or you could just go to the
> products' respective websites and find the answer.
>
> If none of that works (you might not even have a CD burner for all I
> know - lots of old Win98 machines didn't), pull the drive and slave it
> in a Windows XP/Vista machine and pull the data off that way.
>
> You might want to post further questions about this subject in a Win98
> newsgroup since this one is for Vista.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Thank you for the information. It's about as I had thought it to be.

Guess I'll have a get a new box after the holidays when, hopefully,
and improved Vista comes out.

In the meantime, I'll keep copying important files to a CD.

Does elephantboycomputers.com have a counterpart down here in Vegas?

Malke

Re: system restore
franc wrote:

> Malke
>
> Thank you for the information. It's about as I had thought it to be.
>
> Guess I'll have a get a new box after the holidays when, hopefully,
> and improved Vista comes out.
>
> In the meantime, I'll keep copying important files to a CD.
>
> Does elephantboycomputers.com have a counterpart down here in Vegas?

I do think there are many reasons to move away from Win98. I think your
idea of waiting until Vista SP1 comes out is a good one, or you can
still buy computers with XP installed.

The Elephant Boy has never been to Vegas and knows no one there. But
thanks for asking. ;-)

Malke