Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista Problems

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2007
Barnum
 

Posts: n/a
Vista Problems
Is there any hope for this operating system? Is there a service pack on the
way?
This has to be the worse OS ever. Why I fell for their hype I will never
know....

I have less features, and fewer programs now than I did with XP, and yet
this is an upgrade????

If you are thinking of upgrading from XP...DON'T!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2007
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Problems
Is Windows Vista an upgrade or did it come with the computer?

Otherwise you should consider returning Windows Vista since you feel
it has "less features, and fewer programs now than I did with XP".
Easy if you live in North America and retail Vista was purchased less
than 45 days ago.

The Service Pack is expected the 1st half of 2008, but do not expect
resolutions to every problem, partially many issues have causes
outside of Microsoft.

Windows Vista works very well for me on two older computers as well as
for many other people.

If you post specifics of your problems it is probable someone will be
able to give resolutions.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"Barnum" <Barnum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FBF4EDE2-25B9-4CB1-BF30-2A8A733AAFF5@microsoft.com...
> Is there any hope for this operating system? Is there a service
> pack on the
> way?
> This has to be the worse OS ever. Why I fell for their hype I will
> never
> know....
>
> I have less features, and fewer programs now than I did with XP, and
> yet
> this is an upgrade????
>
> If you are thinking of upgrading from XP...DON'T!


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2007
Barnum
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Problems
I purchased a new computer that came with Vista Home Premium...had assumed
that all the kinks had been worked out, but guess I was wrong. I cannot use
Photoshop Elements 4, do not have fax availability (as I did with XP), and
about six of my prior "major" programs do not work with this OS. Likewise I
continue to have crashes. Just damn tired of it all....

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Is Windows Vista an upgrade or did it come with the computer?
>
> Otherwise you should consider returning Windows Vista since you feel
> it has "less features, and fewer programs now than I did with XP".
> Easy if you live in North America and retail Vista was purchased less
> than 45 days ago.
>
> The Service Pack is expected the 1st half of 2008, but do not expect
> resolutions to every problem, partially many issues have causes
> outside of Microsoft.
>
> Windows Vista works very well for me on two older computers as well as
> for many other people.
>
> If you post specifics of your problems it is probable someone will be
> able to give resolutions.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>
>
> "Barnum" <Barnum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:FBF4EDE2-25B9-4CB1-BF30-2A8A733AAFF5@microsoft.com...
> > Is there any hope for this operating system? Is there a service
> > pack on the
> > way?
> > This has to be the worse OS ever. Why I fell for their hype I will
> > never
> > know....
> >
> > I have less features, and fewer programs now than I did with XP, and
> > yet
> > this is an upgrade????
> >
> > If you are thinking of upgrading from XP...DON'T!

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2007
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Problems
For the older programs, contact the manufacturer about windows Vista
compatibility.
You may need a patch or from the manufacturer or a new version, but
the manufacturer should know.

"Likewise I continue to have crashes"
If crashes were there from the beginning, it is probably a hardware
issue.
Contact the computer manufacturer for warranty support or return.
You may need newer drivers.
Do not assume the manufacturer installed the latest drivers for your
hardware.

OEMs regularly install a lot of junk that slows down the computer.
Uninstall any programs you do not need.
Anything Norton or McAfee also regularly cause issues.
If you have these, best to uninstall and install something else such
as AVG Free or Nod32.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"Barnum" <Barnum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6FA87B65-0AB8-4B37-B8EB-E6BF15B665C5@microsoft.com...
>I purchased a new computer that came with Vista Home Premium...had
>assumed
> that all the kinks had been worked out, but guess I was wrong. I
> cannot use
> Photoshop Elements 4, do not have fax availability (as I did with
> XP), and
> about six of my prior "major" programs do not work with this OS.
> Likewise I
> continue to have crashes. Just damn tired of it all....


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2007
Steve Thackery
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Problems
Like the other posters, I think you are blaming Vista when, if fact, you
were sold a crap computer.

Vista works fine (honestly) if the hardware and applications are compatible.
Random crashing may be a hardware fault.

Software incompatibilities are common whenever a new OS comes out. It's up
to the vendors to make Vista-compatible versions of their applications.
Many do - check with them.

Alternatively, if you really do want to use incompatible software, consider
using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 - although you will need an XP licence and
disk.

SteveT

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-08-2007
Kris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Problems
I have had ongoing connection issues ever since I got my new computer equipt
with vista verizon can't help best buy refers me to their geeks squad who
wants 200.00 to tell me yep theres a problem. And gatway refers me back to
best buy. Again MY computer is brand new and has had issues since I got it
home. I also am not able to view jpeg pics uploaded off of my cell phone
mini scan disk. The connectivity or lack there of I am having is continual
everyday up and down. Is there anyone who can help with this issue

"Steve Thackery" wrote:

> Like the other posters, I think you are blaming Vista when, if fact, you
> were sold a crap computer.
>
> Vista works fine (honestly) if the hardware and applications are compatible.
> Random crashing may be a hardware fault.
>
> Software incompatibilities are common whenever a new OS comes out. It's up
> to the vendors to make Vista-compatible versions of their applications.
> Many do - check with them.
>
> Alternatively, if you really do want to use incompatible software, consider
> using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 - although you will need an XP licence and
> disk.
>
> SteveT
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-08-2007
Don Farmer
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Problems

"Kris" <Kris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news0786E9D-201E-4AFA-B53D-920D644B2CA2@microsoft.com...
>I have had ongoing connection issues ever since I got my new computer
>equipt
> with vista verizon can't help best buy refers me to their geeks squad who
> wants 200.00 to tell me yep theres a problem. And gatway refers me back to
> best buy. Again MY computer is brand new and has had issues since I got
> it
> home. I also am not able to view jpeg pics uploaded off of my cell phone
> mini scan disk. The connectivity or lack there of I am having is
> continual
> everyday up and down. Is there anyone who can help with this issue
>
> "Steve Thackery" wrote:
>
>> Like the other posters, I think you are blaming Vista when, if fact, you
>> were sold a crap computer.
>>
>> Vista works fine (honestly) if the hardware and applications are
>> compatible.
>> Random crashing may be a hardware fault.
>>
>> Software incompatibilities are common whenever a new OS comes out. It's
>> up
>> to the vendors to make Vista-compatible versions of their applications.
>> Many do - check with them.
>>
>> Alternatively, if you really do want to use incompatible software,
>> consider
>> using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 - although you will need an XP licence
>> and
>> disk.
>>
>> SteveT


Right Click on the "Computer Icon" and Select "Properties" then Select
"Device Manager" Are there any "Question Marks"? By selecting "Properties"
and "Details" of your hardware as displayed in the "Device Manager" you can
see what driver versions the hardware use. I have found that sometimes
despite a driver update the OS is still using the wrong driver. I have had
this problem with ATI display drivers and had to remove them in a Safe Mode
Boot before re-installing the correct ones.

This may sound complicated; it really isn't, just tedious. Getting good
drivers from the hardware manufacturers or from Microsoft Update is a must.




Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-08-2007
Kris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Problems
Thanks Don but no questions marks anywhere. I did make a big mistake, I
trusted the "Help and How to". I did what they suggested for the browser. I
had to re install my yahoo toolbar services and now every time I click to do
anything where a window needs to open, even if it is a page I already went
to...a prompt comes up about activex and then another and now my email is not
working properly.

THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL ADVICE MICROSOFT!

Thanks again Don for trying to help.

Kris


"Don Farmer" wrote:

>
> "Kris" <Kris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news0786E9D-201E-4AFA-B53D-920D644B2CA2@microsoft.com...
> >I have had ongoing connection issues ever since I got my new computer
> >equipt
> > with vista verizon can't help best buy refers me to their geeks squad who
> > wants 200.00 to tell me yep theres a problem. And gatway refers me back to
> > best buy. Again MY computer is brand new and has had issues since I got
> > it
> > home. I also am not able to view jpeg pics uploaded off of my cell phone
> > mini scan disk. The connectivity or lack there of I am having is
> > continual
> > everyday up and down. Is there anyone who can help with this issue
> >
> > "Steve Thackery" wrote:
> >
> >> Like the other posters, I think you are blaming Vista when, if fact, you
> >> were sold a crap computer.
> >>
> >> Vista works fine (honestly) if the hardware and applications are
> >> compatible.
> >> Random crashing may be a hardware fault.
> >>
> >> Software incompatibilities are common whenever a new OS comes out. It's
> >> up
> >> to the vendors to make Vista-compatible versions of their applications.
> >> Many do - check with them.
> >>
> >> Alternatively, if you really do want to use incompatible software,
> >> consider
> >> using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 - although you will need an XP licence
> >> and
> >> disk.
> >>
> >> SteveT

>
> Right Click on the "Computer Icon" and Select "Properties" then Select
> "Device Manager" Are there any "Question Marks"? By selecting "Properties"
> and "Details" of your hardware as displayed in the "Device Manager" you can
> see what driver versions the hardware use. I have found that sometimes
> despite a driver update the OS is still using the wrong driver. I have had
> this problem with ATI display drivers and had to remove them in a Safe Mode
> Boot before re-installing the correct ones.
>
> This may sound complicated; it really isn't, just tedious. Getting good
> drivers from the hardware manufacturers or from Microsoft Update is a must.
>
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Downgrading from 64bit Vista to 32bit, Media Center problems, web page printing problems Chris Lane microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 10-13-2007 11:58
Having several problems w/ Vista dbinford82 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 06-23-2007 16:22
Dual Boot XP/Vista - any known problems with Vista interfering with XP MBR? Geoff microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 22 05-01-2007 14:01
VISTA problems =?Utf-8?B?cmlja3dhZ25lcjE5Mzg4?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 18 04-30-2007 01:35
Vista problems Lewy microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 03-04-2007 11:25




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:49.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120