Automatic Restore Points not being created

RichG

Automatic Restore Points not being created
I am running Vista Business, and I find that the system is no longer creating
automatic system restore points (not sure when the problem began).

I can still manually create restore points, and I find that I can backup my
files using the “Backup and Restore Center”. I verified that “System
Protection” is enabled for drive “C”. I even disabled, and then re-enabled
“System Protection” for drive “C” thinking that it might help – no joy.

I noticed that the “Volume Shadow Copy” service is started, but set to
“Manual” – not sure if this is relevant or not.

I did have Norton Save & Restore 2.0 installed for a time, but ran into
numerous issues with that product, so I have completely uninstalled it from
my system.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to the problem and solution?
Rick Rogers

Re: Automatic Restore Points not being created
Hi Rich,

VSS should be on manual, so that's normal. Have you checked the properties
of the job in task scheduler? The triggers should be set for a daily event.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"RichG" <RichG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Vista Business, and I find that the system is no longer
>creating
> automatic system restore points (not sure when the problem began).
>
> I can still manually create restore points, and I find that I can backup
> my
> files using the “Backup and Restore Center”. I verified that “System
> Protection” is enabled for drive “C”. I even disabled, and then
> re-enabled
> “System Protection” for drive “C” thinking that it might help – no joy.
>
> I noticed that the “Volume Shadow Copy” service is started, but set to
> “Manual” – not sure if this is relevant or not.
>
> I did have Norton Save & Restore 2.0 installed for a time, but ran into
> numerous issues with that product, so I have completely uninstalled it
> from
> my system.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion as to the problem and solution?

Doug

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 15:35:01 -0800, RichG wrote:

> I am running Vista Business, and I find that the system is no longer
> creating automatic system restore points (not sure when the problem
> began).
>
> I can still manually create restore points, and I find that I can backup
> my files using the “Backup and Restore Center”. I verified that “System
> Protection” is enabled for drive “C”. I even disabled, and then
> re-enabled “System Protection” for drive “C” thinking that it might help
> – no joy.
>
> I noticed that the “Volume Shadow Copy” service is started, but set to
> “Manual” – not sure if this is relevant or not.
>
> I did have Norton Save & Restore 2.0 installed for a time, but ran into
> numerous issues with that product, so I have completely uninstalled it
> from my system.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion as to the problem and solution?

RichG, I recently found the same problem.
I managed to trace the problem to the Scheduled task for the automatic
restore points. It was set to run only when the system was idle. As I had
a background task constantly running, even at low priority, the PC was
never idle. I change the task to ignore the idle setting and my restore
points started appearing.

Hope this helps.
Doug