Managing Back Up Files in Vista

Juan Diego

Managing Back Up Files in Vista
Hi,
I have Vista Home Premium and use 'automatic file backup' to an 250 GB
external drive. Over the last 30 days a full backup was completed plus 10-12
routine backups. The recent back up failed to complete due to a space
problem. The external drive has a folder with a lot of files presumably
backup files but I'm confused on which files I should erase, if any, and
won't deleting files screw up my ability to restore my system?
Good luck with everything and please let me know to help clarify my situation.
Juan Diego
jtk@cnc-usa.com
John Hanley

Re: Managing Back Up Files in Vista
Periodically (once a month or so) I go in and manually delete the oldest
Backup
Set(s) to maintain ample freeboard on my external drive. It has not been a
problem.

"Juan Diego" <JuanDiego@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have Vista Home Premium and use 'automatic file backup' to an 250 GB
> external drive. Over the last 30 days a full backup was completed plus
> 10-12
> routine backups. The recent back up failed to complete due to a space
> problem. The external drive has a folder with a lot of files presumably
> backup files but I'm confused on which files I should erase, if any, and
> won't deleting files screw up my ability to restore my system?
> Good luck with everything and please let me know to help clarify my
> situation.
> Juan Diego
> jtk@cnc-usa.com

Juan Diego

Re: Managing Back Up Files in Vista
Hi John,
Thank you for the feedback but had a question on restoring.

When I was an XP user I used Ghost by Symantec and then I'd do the FIFO
method to manage disk space. Last time I checked Norton didn't have an
upgrade to Vista.

Now under Vista I assumed there was a basline backup and all subsequent
backup were recording only the things that changed since the last update.
Now if I start to delete subsequent back up files in a FIFO method won't I
lose the ability to recover data saved during a specific time?

Again, thank you for your support and direction on this.
Juan Diego