Disk Cleanup - How to delete Hibernation File Cleaner 893MB

smartsnake

Disk Cleanup - How to delete Hibernation File Cleaner 893MB

I had my new pc with Vista Home Basic only 3 days.
I now use Sleep rather than Hibernation.

When I open Disk Cleanup , I see Hibernation File Cleaner 893MB in it. I
checked the box and tried to delete these files serveral times but without
success.

Would apprecate someone to guide me through.

Don Farmer

Re: Disk Cleanup - How to delete Hibernation File Cleaner 893MB

"smartsnake" <smartsnake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news237BFC9-1C94-4F5F-B36B-2F1721FC6AE1@microsoft.com...

> I had my new pc with Vista Home Basic only 3 days.
> I now use Sleep rather than Hibernation.
>
> When I open Disk Cleanup , I see Hibernation File Cleaner 893MB in it. I
> checked the box and tried to delete these files serveral times but without
> success.
>
> Would apprecate someone to guide me through.

In Power Options you can set up how you want the PC to sleep. There's
sleep, hybrid sleep, and hibernation. Excepting a laptop, disable the
hybrid sleep. Then with Disk Cleanup you can delete the Hibernation File
Cleaner. I've done this on my desktop machines and saved several gigabytes.
If your PC is a laptop, then you might want this file.

smartsnake

Re: Disk Cleanup - How to delete Hibernation File Cleaner 893MB
Thanks for taking time to reply.
I just checked, for whatever the reason those files are no longer showing up
in Disk Cleanup box. Certainly will take note of your comment.

Smartsnake
--

"Don Farmer" wrote:

> "smartsnake" <smartsnake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news237BFC9-1C94-4F5F-B36B-2F1721FC6AE1@microsoft.com...
> >
> > I had my new pc with Vista Home Basic only 3 days.
> > I now use Sleep rather than Hibernation.
> >
> > When I open Disk Cleanup , I see Hibernation File Cleaner 893MB in it. I
> > checked the box and tried to delete these files serveral times but without
> > success.
> >
> > Would apprecate someone to guide me through.
> >

> In Power Options you can set up how you want the PC to sleep. There's
> sleep, hybrid sleep, and hibernation. Excepting a laptop, disable the
> hybrid sleep. Then with Disk Cleanup you can delete the Hibernation File
> Cleaner. I've done this on my desktop machines and saved several gigabytes.
> If your PC is a laptop, then you might want this file.

Don Farmer

Re: Disk Cleanup - How to delete Hibernation File Cleaner 893MB

"smartsnake" <smartsnake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news237BFC9-1C94-4F5F-B36B-2F1721FC6AE1@microsoft.com...

> I had my new pc with Vista Home Basic only 3 days.
> I now use Sleep rather than Hibernation.
>
> When I open Disk Cleanup , I see Hibernation File Cleaner 893MB in it. I
> checked the box and tried to delete these files serveral times but without
> success.
>
> Would apprecate someone to guide me through.

I recently learned what hybrid sleep is for. I had thought it had to do
with laptops, but I was wrong. Hybrid sleep is for desktops. Normally, a
desktop goes into standby when it sleeps -- maintaining power to just the
memory. But if you have a power failure while in standby, hybrid sleep is
smart enough to restore memory from the disk image. So you should use it if
there is a chance your desktop might lose power while it is sleeping, which
mine did.

smartsnake

Re: Disk Cleanup - How to delete Hibernation File Cleaner 893MB
Hi Don,
Thanks for follow up with addtnl info.
I am set to use Sleep only on my desktop now and avoid using Hibernation.
Best & thanks
Smartsnake