User Profile Hive cleanup

Alton Davis

User Profile Hive cleanup
Is there a version of the User Hive Cleanup Service that runs on Vista?
Thanks,
Al

Malke

Re: User Profile Hive cleanup
Alton Davis wrote:
> Is there a version of the User Hive Cleanup Service that runs on Vista?
> Thanks,
> Al

Not that I know of. If you are having problems shutting down, post back
with the details.

How to Post:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Alton Davis

Re: User Profile Hive cleanup
The computer takes a long time to shut down. Event viewer shows Event Id
1530, registry still in use by other applications..... When I had this on
my two XP computers the User Profile Hive Cleanup solved the problem.

Alton Davis wrote:
> The computer takes a long time to shut down. Event viewer shows Event Id
> 1530, registry still in use by other applications..... When I had this on
> my two XP computers the User Profile Hive Cleanup solved the problem.

OK, then you'll need to do some troubleshooting. With Vista, a lot of
people have solved their shutdown issues by updating drivers, the video
drivers in particular. Here is some general information about drivers:

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

If you have installed drivers from Windows Update, you can roll them back:

Roll Back Troublesome Device Drivers in Windows Vista from the How-To
Geek - http://tinyurl.com/346lox

If updating drivers doesn't help, go through this excellent shutdown
troubleshooter:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Farbuncle

Re: User Profile Hive cleanup
UPHClean 2.0 is in BETA (still) The 1.6 version which worked on XP does not
work with Vista.

"Alton Davis" wrote:

> The computer takes a long time to shut down. Event viewer shows Event Id
> 1530, registry still in use by other applications..... When I had this on
> my two XP computers the User Profile Hive Cleanup solved the problem.
>

> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Alton Davis wrote:
> >> Is there a version of the User Hive Cleanup Service that runs on Vista?
> >> Thanks,
> >> Al
> >>

> > Not that I know of. If you are having problems shutting down, post back
> > with the details.
> >
> > How to Post:
> > http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet
> >

> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Alton Davis

Re: User Profile Hive cleanup
Thanks for letting me know. I guess I'll just have to wait a while.

"Farbuncle" <Farbuncle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> UPHClean 2.0 is in BETA (still) The 1.6 version which worked on XP does
> not
> work with Vista.
>
> "Alton Davis" wrote:
>
>> The computer takes a long time to shut down. Event viewer shows Event Id
>> 1530, registry still in use by other applications..... When I had this
>> on
>> my two XP computers the User Profile Hive Cleanup solved the problem.
>>

>> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> >>

>> > Not that I know of. If you are having problems shutting down, post back
>> > with the details.
>> >
>> > How to Post:
>> > http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet
>> >

>> > Malke
>> > --
>> > Elephant Boy Computers
>> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> > "Don't Panic!"
>> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Farbuncle

Re: User Profile Hive cleanup
They are seeking Beta testers if you are so inclined.