vista keeps restarting by itself

Ben

vista keeps restarting by itself
My Vista computer keeps shutting down and restarting randomly. Seems to
happen every couple hours. This is not a normal restart, as when I see it,
the balck page with white writing comes up and asks me to press enter if I
want windows to start normally.

This event will happen even if I am in the middle of working on the
computer. I am running Vista Business w/ a quad core and intel MB. Any
ideas?

Lilykittie22

RE: vista keeps restarting by itself

"Ben" wrote:

> My Vista computer keeps shutting down and restarting randomly. Seems to
> happen every couple hours. This is not a normal restart, as when I see it,
> the balck page with white writing comes up and asks me to press enter if I
> want windows to start normally.
>
> This event will happen even if I am in the middle of working on the
> computer. I am running Vista Business w/ a quad core and intel MB. Any
> ideas?

Lilykittie22

RE: vista keeps restarting by itself
Mine keeps doing the exact same thing! i'd love to know how to sort it, its
been a hassle since i've bought my computer a few months ago!

"Ben" wrote:

> My Vista computer keeps shutting down and restarting randomly. Seems to
> happen every couple hours. This is not a normal restart, as when I see it,
> the balck page with white writing comes up and asks me to press enter if I
> want windows to start normally.
>
> This event will happen even if I am in the middle of working on the
> computer. I am running Vista Business w/ a quad core and intel MB. Any
> ideas?

Malke

Ben wrote:
> My Vista computer keeps shutting down and restarting randomly. Seems to
> happen every couple hours. This is not a normal restart, as when I see it,
> the balck page with white writing comes up and asks me to press enter if I
> want windows to start normally.
>
> This event will happen even if I am in the middle of working on the
> computer. I am running Vista Business w/ a quad core and intel MB. Any
> ideas?

That kind of behavior is usually hardware-related. It could be caused by
overheating, a bad processor, bad motherboard, bad RAM. There really is
no way to tell from your post which it might be. If this is a new
computer, contact the computer mftr.'s tech support for
repair/replacement under your warranty. Otherwise, here are some general
hardware troubleshooting steps:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
dzomlija

Ben;504228 Wrote:
> My Vista computer keeps shutting down and restarting randomly. Seems to
> happen every couple hours. This is not a normal restart, as when I see
> it, the balck page with white writing comes up and asks me to press
> enter if I want windows to start normally.
>
> This event will happen even if I am in the middle of working on the
> computer. I am running Vista Business w/ a quad core and intel MB. Any
> ideas?

The next time it restarts, and you get the menu and the prompt to
continue booting normally, see if there is an option that says "Disable
Automatic Restart On System Failure", or something similar. If you boot
with this option, then the next time Vista "resets", you should see a
Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD). The BSOD will provide a particular "STOP"
Error code, which will help in identifying the problem.

You can also go into your PC BIOS right after such a reset and then
check your system health. Random resets such as the one you descriobe
can also be caused by overheating. If this is the case, then you'll need
to have a qualified service technician change your cooling system,
unless you feel up to the task yourself.

Check that you have the latest drivers installed.

If you are running Anti-Virus software, do a full update and system
scan.

If you have over-clocked your system, which a BAD Idea to begin with,
then use the default clock/voltage settings for your motherboard and see
if that makes a difference.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007