Vista file restore error

brianford

Vista file restore error
I run Vista Business. I did a backup to an external hard drive which worked
fine. Files seem to be there. I tested a restore of one of the folders to
double check that all works well if I ever need to restore. The restore
failed with the following message....
Restore did not finish sucessfully. Error code :
(at this point, no error code number appears)
The backup file could not be found. Check your hardware configuration or
restore from a different backup. (0x8100001A)
Any answers to this?
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista file restore error
Hi Brianford,

Try the steps here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940263

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"brianford" <brianford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I run Vista Business. I did a backup to an external hard drive which worked
> fine. Files seem to be there. I tested a restore of one of the folders to
> double check that all works well if I ever need to restore. The restore
> failed with the following message....
> Restore did not finish sucessfully. Error code :
> (at this point, no error code number appears)
> The backup file could not be found. Check your hardware configuration or
> restore from a different backup. (0x8100001A)
> Any answers to this?

brianford

Re: Vista file restore error
Brilliant! That worked. Thanks.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Brianford,
>
> Try the steps here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940263
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "brianford" <brianford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I run Vista Business. I did a backup to an external hard drive which worked
> > fine. Files seem to be there. I tested a restore of one of the folders to
> > double check that all works well if I ever need to restore. The restore
> > failed with the following message....
> > Restore did not finish sucessfully. Error code :
> > (at this point, no error code number appears)
> > The backup file could not be found. Check your hardware configuration or
> > restore from a different backup. (0x8100001A)
> > Any answers to this?

Michael

Re: Vista file restore error
Hi Rick,

This is the single most useful answer I have found on this problem.
Unfortunately, it doesn't help in cases where the MediaID.bin file is lost or
damaged. Is there any way at all to recreate / rebuild this file?

Regards,
Michael

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Brianford,
>
> Try the steps here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940263
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "brianford" <brianford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I run Vista Business. I did a backup to an external hard drive which worked
> > fine. Files seem to be there. I tested a restore of one of the folders to
> > double check that all works well if I ever need to restore. The restore
> > failed with the following message....
> > Restore did not finish sucessfully. Error code :
> > (at this point, no error code number appears)
> > The backup file could not be found. Check your hardware configuration or
> > restore from a different backup. (0x8100001A)
> > Any answers to this?

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista file restore error
Hi Michael,

From that same article:

"If the backup location is inaccessible, or if the Mediaid.bin file is
corrupted, contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) for help
rebuilding the Mediaid.bin file."

Unfortunately, I don't know the steps myself to walk you through this.

--

news32BE4C9-386B-40A6-8B6E-66E4BD66FA7D@microsoft.com...