Vista data backup to a USB external Hard Drive

brianford

Vista data backup to a USB external Hard Drive
I ran a back up of files last night to the above. All seemed to run fine. I
got the message that the backup was successful.
When I 'View all backups' on the 'Create a backup' screen in 'Rescue and
Recovery', it shows the backup successfully done to the USB.

When I look for the files/backup on the USB, it's not there. Can anyone help?
Don Farmer

Re: Vista data backup to a USB external Hard Drive

"brianford" <brianford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I ran a back up of files last night to the above. All seemed to run fine. I
> got the message that the backup was successful.
> When I 'View all backups' on the 'Create a backup' screen in 'Rescue and
> Recovery', it shows the backup successfully done to the USB.
>
> When I look for the files/backup on the USB, it's not there. Can anyone
> help?

In Ultimate, if you ran a Backup "Computer" as opposed to Backup "Files",
you would need to show "hidden files" in Folder Options to see the virutal
disk images, which what you would do with them I'm still checking out.

John Hanley

Re: Vista data backup to a USB external Hard Drive
So, when you Start\Computer\your USB drive, you see no files or folders? My
backed up files & folders are in my K:\ComputerName\Backup Set date\Backup
Files date\Backup
files No.\etc. There will be a series of folders. What do you see?

"Don Farmer" <don_farmer@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "brianford" <brianford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I ran a back up of files last night to the above. All seemed to run fine.
>> got the message that the backup was successful.
>> When I 'View all backups' on the 'Create a backup' screen in 'Rescue and
>> Recovery', it shows the backup successfully done to the USB.
>>
>> When I look for the files/backup on the USB, it's not there. Can anyone
>> help?
>>

> In Ultimate, if you ran a Backup "Computer" as opposed to Backup "Files",
> you would need to show "hidden files" in Folder Options to see the virutal
> disk images, which what you would do with them I'm still checking out.

brianford

Re: Vista data backup to a USB external Hard Drive
I have gone about the backup in a different way. The one that failed was done
through the Lenovo ThinkVantage menu. I accessed backups a 2nd time through
Accessories/Tools/etc - ran it from there and it worked fine. I'll stick with
that way. Thanks for your help.