XP, Vista, WM6 Performance

Teddy

XP, Vista, WM6 Performance
I've avoided the label, but I think deep down I'm an MS fanboy. I was in line
before Best Buy opened back in 01 to get my mitts on XP, and I'd have done
the same if any retailers had been offering special deals with Vista. I did,
however, pick up Vista online within a week of its release. Last month, I
bought my first WM6 device.

Perhaps someone smarter than me can explain to me why I'm so much more
disatisfied with Microsoft now more than ever. WM6, unmodified, crashes
almost daily on my AT&T Tilt - but I realize THAT'S a question for another
forum.

Vista, however... what's the deal? Fanboy that I am, I purchased 64-bit
Ultimate, and have been shocked at my performance. According to my
performance, I'm a 4.1. Not stellar to be sure, a fairly decent, recent rig!
Here's the breakdown:

4.1 - Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
4.6 - Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
5.9 - Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
5.2 - Gaming graphics 1023 MB Total available graphics memory
5.7 - Primary hard disk 374GB Free (466GB Total)

So why is it that installing a program takes 1/2 an hour? Is it the fact
that most of my software is 32 bit and doesn't play nice with 64 bit Windows?
Why does it take an hour to uninstall a program? The installation "status
bar" used to zip across in XP, but now it literally takes several minutes. I
understand that my processor is a bottleneck, but goodness - it's shouldn't
affect very basic computer operations, should it?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this; I'm willing to try anything.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: XP, Vista, WM6 Performance
32-bit programs run best when installed on
a 32-bit operating system. You won't eXPerience
any benefit of using a 64-bit operating system
until you install 64-bit programs. The 64-bit editions
of Windows Vista are not for everyone.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP