Back to xp???

Chris

Back to xp???
Ever since I put Vista on my computer I have had nothing but issues from my
computer crashing to distorted audio playback (I have a K8N diamond plus
mainboard w/ an opteron 180 and 500 watt power supply and 2 gigs of RAM), I
was wondering if I can go back to XP and then upgrade to vista again when it
is a usable OS. I have the XP disc that I bought as well as the Vista disc,
is this possible without any issues.
Thanks Chris
Rick Rogers

Re: Back to xp???
Hi Chris,

Of course you can go back, but it'd have to be a clean install. You can't
install XP on top of Vista, and you'd need to obtain appropriate drivers
from the component manufacturers. Backup data you don't want to lose and
make sure you have the original installation media for programs that you
will need to reinstall.

Keep in mind though, that if the issues you are having are due to a hardware
issue, like blown capacitors on the motherboard, faulty memory, or a flakey
power supply, then reversion to an older OS is not going to solve anything.
Crashes, especially random ones, are frequently caused by one of the above
hardware issues.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> Ever since I put Vista on my computer I have had nothing but issues from
> my
> computer crashing to distorted audio playback (I have a K8N diamond plus
> mainboard w/ an opteron 180 and 500 watt power supply and 2 gigs of RAM),
> was wondering if I can go back to XP and then upgrade to vista again when
> it
> is a usable OS. I have the XP disc that I bought as well as the Vista
> disc,
> is this possible without any issues.
> Thanks Chris

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Back to xp???
I had a local client with Vista sound issues. Music sounded ok but all
vocalists sounded a little like Alvin the chipmunk. Downloading and
installing the latest Realtec HD drivers did the trick.

When installing devices, have you been using drivers obtained from
manufacturer websites, or have you just used whatever CD was supplied with
the items?

Are you trying to install software for which there is no Vista support?

Have you used utilities not designed for use in Vista? Registry cleaners and
defragmenters can play havoc.

--
Mike Hall - MVP
Posting Productively.. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm