Disk Cleanup Hangs...

Zaphod177

Disk Cleanup Hangs...
Every time I try to run Disk Cleanup it hangs while calculating how much
space it can free up. The progress bar gets to what seems to be around 70%
complete and then just stops. The hard drive keeps spinning and the memory
usage will eventually climb to 100%, all while it is still calculating. After
about 10 minutes or more the window just disappears. It never gets to the
window where I can check what to delete.

Specs: Athlon 64 X2 3800, 2 Gb RAM.

Cory

RE: Disk Cleanup Hangs...

"Zaphod177" wrote:

> Every time I try to run Disk Cleanup it hangs while calculating how much
> space it can free up. The progress bar gets to what seems to be around 70%
> complete and then just stops. The hard drive keeps spinning and the memory
> usage will eventually climb to 100%, all while it is still calculating. After
> about 10 minutes or more the window just disappears. It never gets to the
> window where I can check what to delete.

I would suspect you may have a bad hard drive try running chkdsk.

> Specs: Athlon 64 X2 3800, 2 Gb RAM.

Zaphod177

RE: Disk Cleanup Hangs...
Thanks for your fast response. I ran chkdsk with everything checked. It ran
after reboot and checked the drive for a long time. It ended up saying the
drive is clean. Then went back into windows and ran disk cleanup again with
same problem. I have looked everywhere on the net and can't seem to find
anyone else who has had this problem (in Vista or XP). Everything else on my
system seems to be running just fine. Very strange...