Windows Installer Service: not correctly installed (Vista)

Gilles Ser

Windows Installer Service: not correctly installed (Vista)
Hi,
I re-installed Win XP on a 1st partition.
The dual boot need to be re-installed after that...
Now, when I load Vista, I don't get the desktop anymore.
When trying to open regedit I get the message: specified path does not exist
(?).
Also when trying to open some programs I get the message: Windows Installer
Servie is not correctly installed.

Could I get some help please on this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Gilles
Rick Rogers

Re: Windows Installer Service: not correctly installed (Vista)
Hi,

How did you reinstall the dual boot? Please list the steps that you took.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Gilles Ser" <Gilles Ser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I re-installed Win XP on a 1st partition.
> The dual boot need to be re-installed after that...
> Now, when I load Vista, I don't get the desktop anymore.
> When trying to open regedit I get the message: specified path does not
> exist
> (?).
> Also when trying to open some programs I get the message: Windows
> Installer
> Servie is not correctly installed.
>
> Could I get some help please on this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Regards,
>
> Gilles

Gilles Ser

Re: Windows Installer Service: not correctly installed (Vista)
Hello,

thanks for quick reaction!
What I did/happened was the following:

I had only Win XP Home on my Dell machine.
I was impressed by Vista, that I installed on a new created partition (made
w/ Partition Magic).
After the installation of Vista, a boot menu gave me the choice which OS to
start.

I re-installed XP, first by deleting the partion and than by booting w/ the
installation CD of Win XP Home.

When re-booting after the re-install of Win XP, the bootmenu was gone so I
could not longer start up Vista.

I used the program VistaBootPro for re-creating the boot menu...First,
however, I tried the repair function via booting via the Vista Install DVD...

I succeeded creating the boot menu. I manage to start Vista but when it
loads it get the message "preparing your desktop", which lasts for a while. I
end up with an empty desktop.
When trying to fix or to open programs, I get an error message stating that
the Windows installer is corrup or not installed. Another message that I
received when trying to open regedit is that the path thereto is not valid,
although it should be...

I think that all these problems are linked to one issue...but I do not know
the solution...

I wouldbe gratefull if you could help me...

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Gilles Serruys

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How did you reinstall the dual boot? Please list the steps that you took.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Gilles Ser" <Gilles Ser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I re-installed Win XP on a 1st partition.
> > The dual boot need to be re-installed after that...
> > Now, when I load Vista, I don't get the desktop anymore.
> > When trying to open regedit I get the message: specified path does not
> > exist
> > (?).
> > Also when trying to open some programs I get the message: Windows
> > Installer
> > Servie is not correctly installed.
> >
> > Could I get some help please on this problem?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Gilles

Rick Rogers

Re: Windows Installer Service: not correctly installed (Vista)
Hi,

Can you access an elevated command prompt and run "bcdedit /enum"?
Copy/paste the results into a response.

Also, when you attempted to do a startup repair with the Vista DVD, were you
successful?

--

> Hello,
>
> thanks for quick reaction!
> What I did/happened was the following:
>
> I had only Win XP Home on my Dell machine.
> I was impressed by Vista, that I installed on a new created partition
> (made
> w/ Partition Magic).
> After the installation of Vista, a boot menu gave me the choice which OS
> start.
>
> I re-installed XP, first by deleting the partion and than by booting w/
> the
> installation CD of Win XP Home.
>
> When re-booting after the re-install of Win XP, the bootmenu was gone so I
> could not longer start up Vista.
>
> I used the program VistaBootPro for re-creating the boot menu...First,
> however, I tried the repair function via booting via the Vista Install
> DVD...
>
> I succeeded creating the boot menu. I manage to start Vista but when it
> loads it get the message "preparing your desktop", which lasts for a
> while. I
> end up with an empty desktop.
> When trying to fix or to open programs, I get an error message stating
> that
> the Windows installer is corrup or not installed. Another message that I
> received when trying to open regedit is that the path thereto is not
> valid,
> although it should be...
>
> I think that all these problems are linked to one issue...but I do not
> know
> the solution...
>
> I wouldbe gratefull if you could help me...
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Regards,
>
> Gilles Serruys
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> How did you reinstall the dual boot? Please list the steps that you took.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Gilles Ser" <Gilles Ser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > I re-installed Win XP on a 1st partition.
>> > The dual boot need to be re-installed after that...
>> > Now, when I load Vista, I don't get the desktop anymore.
>> > When trying to open regedit I get the message: specified path does not
>> > exist
>> > (?).
>> > Also when trying to open some programs I get the message: Windows
>> > Installer
>> > Servie is not correctly installed.
>> >
>> > Could I get some help please on this problem?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Gilles

Gilles Ser

Re: Windows Installer Service: not correctly installed (Vista)
Hello Rick,

I can not execute anything via the run command...
I can load the explorer via task manager/new task...but it is temporary
profile that is loaded. No program can be recognised (I can for example not
load Office 2007 programs), nor execute regedit...
I think I has something to do w/ the MBR file, can it be?

Regards,

Gilles

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can you access an elevated command prompt and run "bcdedit /enum"?
> Copy/paste the results into a response.
>
> Also, when you attempted to do a startup repair with the Vista DVD, were you
> successful?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Gilles Ser" <GillesSer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > thanks for quick reaction!
> > What I did/happened was the following:
> >
> > I had only Win XP Home on my Dell machine.
> > I was impressed by Vista, that I installed on a new created partition
> > (made
> > w/ Partition Magic).
> > After the installation of Vista, a boot menu gave me the choice which OS
> > start.
> >
> > I re-installed XP, first by deleting the partion and than by booting w/
> > the
> > installation CD of Win XP Home.
> >
> > When re-booting after the re-install of Win XP, the bootmenu was gone so I
> > could not longer start up Vista.
> >
> > I used the program VistaBootPro for re-creating the boot menu...First,
> > however, I tried the repair function via booting via the Vista Install
> > DVD...
> >
> > I succeeded creating the boot menu. I manage to start Vista but when it
> > loads it get the message "preparing your desktop", which lasts for a
> > while. I
> > end up with an empty desktop.
> > When trying to fix or to open programs, I get an error message stating
> > that
> > the Windows installer is corrup or not installed. Another message that I
> > received when trying to open regedit is that the path thereto is not
> > valid,
> > although it should be...
> >
> > I think that all these problems are linked to one issue...but I do not
> > know
> > the solution...
> >
> > I wouldbe gratefull if you could help me...
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Gilles Serruys
> >

> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> How did you reinstall the dual boot? Please list the steps that you took.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

JimH

Re: Windows Installer Service: not correctly installed (Vista)
Hi,
Check BOOT.INI to see if VISTA is in Section 2 of partition 2. I saw
something in a MS KB article about these kind of problems happening after an
OS is installed in blank disc space ahead of VISTA's partition.
Jim H.

"Gilles Ser" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thanks for quick reaction!
> What I did/happened was the following:
>
> I had only Win XP Home on my Dell machine.
> I was impressed by Vista, that I installed on a new created partition (made
> w/ Partition Magic).
> After the installation of Vista, a boot menu gave me the choice which OS to
> start.
>
> I re-installed XP, first by deleting the partion and than by booting w/ the
> installation CD of Win XP Home.
>
> When re-booting after the re-install of Win XP, the bootmenu was gone so I
> could not longer start up Vista.
>
> I used the program VistaBootPro for re-creating the boot menu...First,
> however, I tried the repair function via booting via the Vista Install DVD...
>
> I succeeded creating the boot menu. I manage to start Vista but when it
> loads it get the message "preparing your desktop", which lasts for a while. I
> end up with an empty desktop.
> When trying to fix or to open programs, I get an error message stating that
> the Windows installer is corrup or not installed. Another message that I
> received when trying to open regedit is that the path thereto is not valid,
> although it should be...
>
> I think that all these problems are linked to one issue...but I do not know
> the solution...
>
> I wouldbe gratefull if you could help me...
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Regards,
>
> Gilles Serruys
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > How did you reinstall the dual boot? Please list the steps that you took.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "Gilles Ser" <Gilles Ser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > I re-installed Win XP on a 1st partition.
> > > The dual boot need to be re-installed after that...
> > > Now, when I load Vista, I don't get the desktop anymore.
> > > When trying to open regedit I get the message: specified path does not
> > > exist
> > > (?).
> > > Also when trying to open some programs I get the message: Windows
> > > Installer
> > > Servie is not correctly installed.
> > >
> > > Could I get some help please on this problem?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Gilles

James Matthews

Re: Windows Installer Service: not correctly installed (Vista)
yes

--

http://search.goldwatches.com/?Search=Movado+Watches
http://www.goldwatches.com/