Vista Ultimate - wont boot anymore

concord6

Vista Ultimate - wont boot anymore
Hi

I need some help please. I have had until now a very succesful dual booting
system with Windows XP and Vista Ultimate 32bit.

Suddenly vista wont boot any more - it starts to boot, gets about halfway,
then stops.

I have tried inserting the installation DVD but that boots up as far as the
background colours and then it stops so I cannot repair it that way.

XP still boots fine, I have checked the bios and updated it. Vista is on the
C drive and I can access that drive from the D drive with XP. So it does not
seem to be the hard drive at fault especially so when the installation DVD
wont boot either.

Can anyone please suggest what I should do?

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Ultimate - wont boot anymore
Hi,

You need to change the system BIOS' boot priority so that you can boot to
the DVD. What you are describing does not sound like you are booting from
the disk when you insert it, but rather from the hard drive. Once the disk
is booted, you need to enter the recovery options and do a startup repair.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"concord6" <concord6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I need some help please. I have had until now a very succesful dual
> booting
> system with Windows XP and Vista Ultimate 32bit.
>
> Suddenly vista wont boot any more - it starts to boot, gets about halfway,
> then stops.
>
> I have tried inserting the installation DVD but that boots up as far as
> the
> background colours and then it stops so I cannot repair it that way.
>
> XP still boots fine, I have checked the bios and updated it. Vista is on
> the
> C drive and I can access that drive from the D drive with XP. So it does
> not
> seem to be the hard drive at fault especially so when the installation DVD
> wont boot either.
>
> Can anyone please suggest what I should do?

concord6

Re: Vista Ultimate - wont boot anymore
Hi
Rick,Yes I am booting the instal DVD from the DVD disk. It says "press any
key to boot from the CD or DVD" which I do but it only gets to the background
clours and stops.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You need to change the system BIOS' boot priority so that you can boot to
> the DVD. What you are describing does not sound like you are booting from
> the disk when you insert it, but rather from the hard drive. Once the disk
> is booted, you need to enter the recovery options and do a startup repair.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "concord6" <concord6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I need some help please. I have had until now a very succesful dual
> > booting
> > system with Windows XP and Vista Ultimate 32bit.
> >
> > Suddenly vista wont boot any more - it starts to boot, gets about halfway,
> > then stops.
> >
> > I have tried inserting the installation DVD but that boots up as far as
> > the
> > background colours and then it stops so I cannot repair it that way.
> >
> > XP still boots fine, I have checked the bios and updated it. Vista is on
> > the
> > C drive and I can access that drive from the D drive with XP. So it does
> > not
> > seem to be the hard drive at fault especially so when the installation DVD
> > wont boot either.
> >
> > Can anyone please suggest what I should do?

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Ultimate - wont boot anymore
Hi,

In that case, you might want to check and see if a lens cleaner disk for the
drive will help, as it sounds like it is stalling due to an inability to get
a complete read. You may also find it helps to temporarily remove the hard
drive from the list of bootable devices in the BIOS in case it is
interfering.