Re: IE7 on Vista stops working in network environment with ISA server

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE7 on Vista stops working in network environment with ISA server
(cross-post added to Vista Performance and Maintenance)
"maryc" <maryc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is the error message we get:
>
> Problem signature:
> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> Application Name: iexplore.exe
> Application Version: 7.0.6000.16546
> Application Timestamp: 46c64caf
> Fault Module Name: StackHash_8d13
> Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
> Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

This is Vista's way of saying the crash didn't occur in a loaded module.

> Exception Code: c000001d

That's interesting. A less common exception code.

(Ignore the title.)

(Live Search for
0xc000001D exception site:microsoft.com
- first hit
)

<quote>
An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction.
</quote>

So the error occurred in an addressable piece of storage
and (not suprisingly) the instruction code there was invalid.

> Exception Offset: 02ea48e2

If this is an address (as opposed to an offset) or alternatively an offset
from a load address of 00000000 (for the unknown module) you could see
if there is ever anything loaded at 02EA0000. That could be a useful clue
about the cause of the crash. E.g. Process Explorer could show you that.

Also, as always, you could look in drwtsn32.log for the Stack Back Trace
of the crashing thread (e.g. as found by the FAULT -> line) to see if the list
of modules involved in the crash yields any useful clues.

I don't have Vista so in case someone has a better interpretation of this crash
report or more appropriate ideas for diagnosing it, I have cross-posted to a Vista NG.

Alternatively in order to attempt to change the symptom without knowing
its cause you could try this step from a new troubleshooter:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_methodthree1000

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.6
> Locale ID: 1033
> Additional Information 1: 8d13
> Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
> Additional Information 3: 8d13
> Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
>

> "maryc" wrote:
>
>> We have been testing out Vista machines in our network environment. All of
>> the installs we have done with Vista and IE 7 are having problems. IE7 stops
>> working and has to be restarted several times a day. I run it at home with no
>> problems so I am wondering if the ISA server we run as a firewall could be
>> part of the problem?

Rick Rogers

Re: IE7 on Vista stops working in network environment with ISA server
Seems symptomatic of a plugin/addon problem, either non-compliant with Vista
or corrupted. Disabling non-Microsoft ones that are loading with IE may
resolve this issue. Close any/all instances of IE, go to the Control
Panel/Internet Options/Programs tab, click on "manage addons". Set the view
tab to see those that load with IE, click on each in turn and disable them.
Then launch IE and see if the problem still exists.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> [...]

> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_methodthree1000
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

>> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.6
>> Locale ID: 1033
>> Additional Information 1: 8d13
>> Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
>> Additional Information 3: 8d13
>> Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
>>

>> "maryc" wrote:
>>
>>> We have been testing out Vista machines in our network environment. All
>>> of
>>> the installs we have done with Vista and IE 7 are having problems. IE7
>>> stops
>>> working and has to be restarted several times a day. I run it at home
>>> with no
>>> problems so I am wondering if the ISA server we run as a firewall could

maryc

Re: IE7 on Vista stops working in network environment with ISA ser
I have tried all of the recommended fixes, such as resetting security,
deleting history, runnig IE without addins and it still crashes.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> [...]

> > list
> > of modules involved in the crash yields any useful clues.
> >

> > I don't have Vista so in case someone has a better interpretation of this
> > crash
> > report or more appropriate ideas for diagnosing it, I have cross-posted to
> > a Vista NG.
> >

> > Alternatively in order to attempt to change the symptom without knowing
> > its cause you could try this step from a new troubleshooter:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_methodthree1000
> >

> > Good luck
> >
> > Robert Aldwinckle
> > ---
> >

> >> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.6
> >> Locale ID: 1033
> >> Additional Information 1: 8d13
> >> Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
> >> Additional Information 3: 8d13
> >> Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Robert Aldwinckle

>I have tried all of the recommended fixes, such as resetting security,
> deleting history, runnig IE without addins and it still crashes.

That's why I suggested doing some diagnosis.
It's possible that interfering software is not blocked even by
No Add-ons mode. Google toolbar is one example of that.

Robert
---