Help with JBOD enclosure

Tobin

Help with JBOD enclosure
I just bought an enclosure that automatically tries to do JBOD when both HD
slots are occupied. Currently, only one of my drives shows up in My
Computer. I discovered using Disk Management that both drives show up as a
single 2-partition disk and the second drive appears appended to the first as
unallocated space even though they are both NTFS-formatted. Can I expand the
first drive/partition through the second without losing the data on the
second drive?
Rick Rogers

Re: Help with JBOD enclosure
Hi,

No, if you expand the first disk's volume onto the second, it will wipe
existing data. You might instead try the option to import foreign disks.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Tobin" <Tobin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought an enclosure that automatically tries to do JBOD when both HD
> slots are occupied. Currently, only one of my drives shows up in My
> Computer. I discovered using Disk Management that both drives show up as
> single 2-partition disk and the second drive appears appended to the first
> as
> unallocated space even though they are both NTFS-formatted. Can I expand
> the
> first drive/partition through the second without losing the data on the
> second drive?

dzomlija

Re: Help with JBOD enclosure

Tobin;501233 Wrote:
> I just bought an enclosure that automatically tries to do JBOD when both
> HD slots are occupied. Currently, only one of my drives shows up in My
> Computer. I discovered using Disk Management that both drives show up as
> a single 2-partition disk and the second drive appears appended to the
> first as unallocated space even though they are both NTFS-formatted. Can
> I expand the first drive/partition through the second without losing the
> data on the second drive?

Three of my hard drives are spanned using JBOD. Windows sees only a
single volume of 530GB. If I where to disable the JBOD funtion, then all
data will be lost. When I initially created the JBOD setup, I made full
backups of all three drives first because the BIOS warned me that the
data on these drives will be wiped.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007